Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Natural Lice Elimination
Indianadaycare 11:47 AM 09-06-2015
Thought I'd share what I read recently about a natural, effective way to eliminate lice...

"The only thing worse than getting head lice may be the complicated process to get rid of them. This easy, natural treatment is much easier than the conventional, chemical-filled method. After rinsing hair with apple cider vinegar, comb it out. Then coat your scalp and hair with coconut oil, and leave it on for 12 to 24 hours."

~found on thrivemarket.com, which is a great site BTW.
Thriftylady 02:10 PM 09-06-2015
Tea tree oil also helps. Whenever there has been a breakout in school, I have put it in DD's shampoo. Never put it on skin or scalp full strength though. Always put it in shampoo or mix into another oil. I prefer olive oil. I use the olive oil tee tree mix on itchy skin and all kinds of things.
hope 05:55 PM 09-06-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Tea tree oil also helps. Whenever there has been a breakout in school, I have put it in DD's shampoo. Never put it on skin or scalp full strength though. Always put it in shampoo or mix into another oil. I prefer olive oil. I use the olive oil tee tree mix on itchy skin and all kinds of things.
I mix 2 cap fulls of tea tree oil in a spray bottle of water and spray all of the kids from top to bottom. I spray book bags and coats. I spray my DD's hair every morning and comb through. We have had some bad break out in the schools yet my kids have never had a problem.
Unregistered 12:31 PM 09-07-2015
Yes, this is our second outbreak in three months. The first was late found and had time of nits 😕 yesterday I found live lice in all three girls and then myself. But no nits to be seen, except the occasional old one (over an inch or two down the hair). How can you have multiple live life but no nits? Also, we did tee tree oil like last time, which kills on contact, but apparently it didn't work cuz we found more live ones after the shampoo. Any other advice besides the chemical killers, which I know lots of lice are immune to now? We are combing and combing, and using sunlight to help look, so I'm confident we'd find them if they were there (the nits).
grateday 12:47 PM 09-07-2015
You really have to focus more on the hair, than the environment. Everyday you have to section the hair in rows, use a headlamp with magnifier. Go through strands one by one. Use a metal lice comb that has twisted prongs that are very close together. Comb hair with evenly distributed conditioner. Dip the lice in a jar full of a cleaning solution. You are going to get a paper towel and clean the comb with every swipe through the hair.

You will have to do this once a day. Pepermint shampoos formulated for lice/nits. Special nit spray to help loosen the nit glue when combing.

I used tea tree but it took two weeks for me to fully get rid of it. Week one is getting most of the lice. Week two is getting any missed before they lay more eggs because of the lifecycle. Comb every day in between- strand by strand -sectioning!!!!

Focus more on combing technique/mechanical removal.
Controlled Chaos 06:43 PM 09-07-2015
Flame thrower

...or tea tree oil lol I suppose that works too...
Tags:lice removal, lice treatment, nits
Reply Up