Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>I Found A WG Pasta My Kids Will Actually Eat
MyAngels 09:04 AM 02-13-2018
I found it at Kroger, I think it's their store brand - Simple Truth Organic 100% whole wheat rotini. I picked it up on a whim so I'm not sure if there are other types, but my kids actually liked it. It was on sale for $1.50 a box so not bad on the price.
Blackcat31 09:12 AM 02-13-2018
We have Walmart... Aldi's and a local chain for options here.
I've heard of Kroger but never seen one.

My family (and daycare) have always used the Barilla brand whole wheat pastas. I like them and none of the kids have ever complained so thank goodness! Of course, I don't know the last time I served pasta here... we eat ALOT of wild rice as it's super prevalant in my neck of the woods.

Leigh 09:59 AM 02-13-2018
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I found it at Kroger, I think it's their store brand - Simple Truth Organic 100% whole wheat rotini. I picked it up on a whim so I'm not sure if there are other types, but my kids actually liked it. It was on sale for $1.50 a box so not bad on the price.
My kids prefer rotini for WW pasta. They like the WW spaghetti, too. I use Barilla.
Leigh 10:01 AM 02-13-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
We have Walmart... Aldi's and a local chain for options here.
I've heard of Kroger but never seen one.

My family (and daycare) have always used the Barilla brand whole wheat pastas. I like them and none of the kids have ever complained so thank goodness! Of course, I don't know the last time I served pasta here... we eat ALOT of wild rice as it's super prevalant in my neck of the woods.

What do you use wild rice for? I love the copycat recipe for Byerly's cream of wild rice soup (I use vegetable stock instead of chicken stock in it, and think that tastes better). That's it. Other than a pilaf, I have no idea what to do with wild rice (and I LOVE it!).
daycarediva 10:08 AM 02-13-2018
My current crew WILL NOT TOUCH RICE.

WHAT!?

We eat sooooo much ww pasta, ww crackers, ww bread. UGH.

Not even quinoa. Nope.
Blackcat31 10:17 AM 02-13-2018
Originally Posted by Leigh:
What do you use wild rice for? I love the copycat recipe for Byerly's cream of wild rice soup (I use vegetable stock instead of chicken stock in it, and think that tastes better). That's it. Other than a pilaf, I have no idea what to do with wild rice (and I LOVE it!).
My favorites are:

As a side dish
Beefy wild rice hotdish
Wild rice meatballs
Cheesy wild rice soup

You can add wild rice to pretty much anything you want....burgers, meatloaf, brats, hotdishes, salads...

I could eat it plain...it's just so yummy!!
MyAngels 11:59 AM 02-13-2018
My kids won't touch rice either, I've tried it many different ways and it's a no-go

I've also tried several different WW pastas with no success. I don't know what's different about this one, but they like it
CalCare 12:56 PM 02-14-2018
I actually like that same w.w. organic rotini pasta. It's not as grainy as other ww ones are. Just fyi, for anyone if this helps, Ralph's is the same as Kroger's. We have Ralph's here in CA.
Leigh 01:47 PM 02-14-2018
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
My kids won't touch rice either, I've tried it many different ways and it's a no-go

I've also tried several different WW pastas with no success. I don't know what's different about this one, but they like it
Be glad that they don't like rice. I serve it fairly often and hate myself every time that I do-they make such a mess when eating it! Mine love Spanish rice, cheesy brown rice, and rice as a bed to nearly anything. They are not fans of wild rice like I am, though.
Jamie 03:43 AM 02-15-2018
All my four are under 2 years old... They can eat rice at home! 😂 Babies and rice is not a combination I need to clean up after 😝
We eat ww spaghetti once a week 😊
Tags:pasta, pasta - whole grain, whole grains
Reply Up