Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Beverages in CA
sharlan 11:30 PM 06-21-2011
I just came across this regarding milk and beverages in CA daycares.

AB 2084 (BROWNLEY), Chapter 593, Statutes of 2010 Affects: Child Care Centers (CCCs) and FCCHs – No Action Required until January 2012. Subject: Nutritious Beverages in Child Care Facilities
Summary: AB 2084 added Section 1596.808 to the Health and Safety Code related to nutritious beverages and affects all licensed child care facilities. The law will not go into effect until January 1, 2012 and will allow the department to adapt the provisions by bulletin, as specified. The new law requires CCCs and FCCHs to comply with the following beverage provisions:
• Whenever milk is served, serve only lowfat (one percent) milk or nonfat milk to children two years of age or older.
• Limit juice to not more than one serving per day of 100 percent juice.
• Serve no beverages with added sweeteners, either natural or artificial. “Beverages with added sweeteners” does not include infant formula or complete balanced nutritional products designed for children.
• Make clean and safe drinking water readily available and accessible to children throughout the day.
The law provides for the following exceptions to the bill’s requirements regarding beverages served at a licensed child day care facility:
• If a child has a medical necessity documented by a physician that includes the need for “medical food” as defined by Section 109971 of the Health and Safety Code, a licensed child care facility shall be exempt from complying with the beverage requirements to the extent necessary to meet the medical needs of that child.
• This section shall not apply to beverages at a licensed child day care facility that are provided by a parent or legal guardian for his or her child.
The CDSS will only determine compliance during a regularly scheduled, authorized inspection, and shall not be required to conduct separate and independent visits. Since this law will not go into effect until January 1, 2012, specific implementation procedures will be published prior to that date.
Michelle 05:57 AM 06-22-2011
I got that one too.
We have to have a law telling us to give them water?
The juice one, I am trilled with. We have done 6-8 oz. of juice a day max for years. Milk- we always drink nonfat but I buy the low fat for the dck's.
Country Kids 06:14 AM 06-22-2011
Having that in there about the water does not surprise me. Many years ago my mother lived across the street from a little boy who would come over and "help" with yard work. I believe he was 4 or 5 at this time. Well one day my mom went in and got him a drink of waster and he looked at her and said "What is this"? He had never had water before! Most kids now only drink water because it comes out of a bottle. I think if we didn't have bottled water most people wouldn't drink it because now its easy and convienent. Get a bottle and go.
sharlan 06:28 AM 06-22-2011
I am one of those who does not like water, so I'm really bad about giving it to the kids.
MarinaVanessa 06:50 AM 06-22-2011
I havn't gotten this yet but I like it. I don't give juice at all in my daycare anyhow, I give fresh fruit and we always have sippies of water the rest of the time so I've got that covered but I want to know what the food program is going to say. The food program here requires that milk be served during breakfast, lunch and supper (if you serve supper) and they're specific that it be whole milk.

Did you get this off the licensing website or did you get a notice?
sharlan 06:53 AM 06-22-2011
I got it off the website.
Crystal 06:54 AM 06-22-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I havn't gotten this yet but I like it. I don't give juice at all in my daycare anyhow, I give fresh fruit and we always have sippies of water the rest of the time so I've got that covered but I want to know what the food program is going to say. The food program here requires that milk be served during breakfast, lunch and supper (if you serve supper) and they're specific that it be whole milk.

You might want to ask your fp rep about this. Last summer they changed it here to serv only 2% or lower for children over 2. They never announced it, I just found out when I was talking with my rep about how fattening whole milk is!
daysofelijah 09:33 AM 06-22-2011
I just got a similar letter from my food program here in MN.
Michelle 09:40 AM 06-22-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:

I actually got mine from the food program
MarinaVanessa 04:17 PM 06-22-2011
Thank you ladies. I just went online and printed it out and will be making the changes now. I'm not on the food program anymore but I follow their recommendations because parents feel good about it but if it were up to me all of the kids would be drinking water and soy milk lol.
Tags:california, milk
Reply Up