Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Does Anyone Else HATE Talking Money???
Crazy8 06:58 PM 08-30-2011
I really hate it. I have been doing home daycare for 10 years, I get paid in advance and I really have never encountered any of the issues with people paying like I read about here, etc. BUT every once in a while I have to clarify payments, ask for late fees or plain have to ask to be paid and I ABSOLUTELY hate it!!!

I know its a necessary evil in our field but does anyone else hate it???
mema 07:07 PM 08-30-2011
I hate it too. The parents I have now are fairly good, but one shorted me this week and I sat all day trying to figure out how to bring it up. Thankfully when I said your check is a little short, she laughed and said, "let me get my checkbook! Can you tell it's Monday and I'd prefer it to be Saturday?" I did have one tho that no matter what you said it was always my fault that she didn't pay right. Ugh. Hello? It doesn't change!!!! Unless your late of course
SunflowerMama 07:10 PM 08-30-2011
I definitely hate it!!

I'm closed on Friday and then Monday for a long vacation weekend and I'm dreading the email that goes out tomorrow reminding everyone that payment is due on Thursday since we're closed Friday.

I HATE discussing $$.
SandeeAR 07:24 PM 08-30-2011
Hate doing it, but it is necessary. All my parents pay two weeks in advance, on Monday morning. One kid only comes Wed and Thurs., so money is brought by Dad on Monday. He hands me the cash, I lay it on the desk. We talk, he leaves, I get busy with kids. An hour later, I pick up cash. See it is $30 short.

Text both Mom and Dad, did I miss something? This is $30 short. (Thursday, she had signed a new contract, dropping down to the two days and stated, the $100 every two weeks). She thought that the two days a week started next week. They decided to start paying each week. They thought paying me every other week, was just something they did. Didn't realize it was in the contract.

Ummm, no, need two weeks notice if you want to change that. This is a business for me. It would be like you getting your paycheck on Friday and them telling you, oh, we decided to only pay you half your salary this week......... I need someone to bring the $30 by this evening. You can start paying weekly, in two weeks....
MsMe 07:39 PM 08-30-2011
I hated talking about money so much that even the on tome check that i was handed on friday made me uncofortable.

I installed white mailbox in my entryway so I no longer have to deal with money AT ALL.

Thankfully all my parents pay ontime and I have VERY VERY few money talks.
Crazy8 07:45 PM 08-30-2011
Originally Posted by MsMe:
I hated talking about money so much that even the on tome check that i was handed on friday made me uncofortable.

I installed white mailbox in my entryway so I no longer have to deal with money AT ALL.

that is a neat idea, I would probably do that if I had more families but then I'd probably be afraid they'd forget that and then I'd have to confront them afterwards. Yes, I even hate being handed that on time check - I like when its just in their bags when they come in on Friday mornings.

Like you I don't have to do it often and its even more rare that I have to do it in a negative way (like late payment) but I just hate it in general.
laundrymom 07:56 PM 08-30-2011
I will be having that discussion tomorrow. I have a dad who was supposed to bring check mon. They weren't here, today dad dropped off, no mention. He picked up early to get boy to ball practice. I forgot to ask. Soooo tomorrow I'm going to just say, hey did you give me a check yesterday and I forget to put it in payment box? Or did you forget and i didn't screw up. He will be like,.. Oh no I forgot. I'll get it to you tomorrow, which is fine I'll add late fees and be paid Thursday. These people are awesome, they have had a crazy week, sold their home, had family in from California, started soccer for the 4yr old, and are busy looking for a new home. If they were not so,..... Like they are I wouldn't e as understanding.
MarinaVanessa 08:02 PM 08-30-2011
I thought about this and realized that it's not that I don't like talking about money, I don't think of it as a good or bad thing KWIM? But the thing that I do HATE is talking about it once, like during interviews for example or once to clarify a policy about late payments or whatever ... and then having to repeat myself to the same person or having to remind the same person about a policy.

Actually I feel this way about any policy, not just the ones about money. It's the idea that I already went through something with someone and finding myself having to say it again. It's pointless to me KWIM? I feel that the person is just acting like they don't understand to try to get something out of me that clearly against my policies.

When it happens to me it's always the same person over and over. I have to admit that I've gotten snarky when someone like this asks me a question and I've answered it in the most "dumbed down" way possible or just litterally repeat myself over and over and give the "stare".

When payments are due
DCM: "Do you mind if I pay you tomorrow?"
ME: "Do you mind keeping DC child home with you today and paying the $10 late fee?"
OR
ME: "Payments for the week are due at drop-off on your child's first day of childcare, otherwise I can't provide childcare"
DCM: "Oh I know but I didn't have a chance to go to the bank this weekend and I ran out of checks"
ME: "Payments for the week are due at drop-off on your child's first day of childcare, otherwise I can't provide childcare"
DCM: brief pause "I know, but I really couldn't get to it ... can I pay you at pick-up at least?"
ME: "Payments for the week are due at drop-off on your child's first day of childcare, otherwise I can't provide childcare" blank, long, uncomfortable stare.

I mean really .
WImom 08:28 PM 08-30-2011
Yes, I hate it. Luckily so far I've only had two clients that I've had to have a backbone with.
tbutler 09:07 PM 08-30-2011
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
Hate doing it, but it is necessary. All my parents pay two weeks in advance, on Monday morning. One kid only comes Wed and Thurs., so money is brought by Dad on Monday. He hands me the cash, I lay it on the desk. We talk, he leaves, I get busy with kids. An hour later, I pick up cash. See it is $30 short.

Text both Mom and Dad, did I miss something? This is $30 short. (Thursday, she had signed a new contract, dropping down to the two days and stated, the $100 every two weeks). She thought that the two days a week started next week. They decided to start paying each week. They thought paying me every other week, was just something they did. Didn't realize it was in the contract.

Ummm, no, need two weeks notice if you want to change that. This is a business for me. It would be like you getting your paycheck on Friday and them telling you, oh, we decided to only pay you half your salary this week......... I need someone to bring the $30 by this evening. You can start paying weekly, in two weeks....
I love the requirement to pay two weeks in advance. Now wondering if I should implement this ASAP!
tbutler 09:11 PM 08-30-2011
Originally Posted by MsMe:

I was thinking about getting some kind of drop box for payments but what I'm finding is too big or not big/stable enough. Do you mind posting a pic of how your mailbox is setup?
tbutler 09:23 PM 08-30-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I thought about this and realized that it's not that I don't like talking about money, I don't think of it as a good or bad thing KWIM? But the thing that I do HATE is talking about it once, like during interviews for example or once to clarify a policy about late payments or whatever ... and then having to repeat myself to the same person or having to remind the same person about a policy.

Actually I feel this way about any policy, not just the ones about money. It's the idea that I already went through something with someone and finding myself having to say it again. It's pointless to me KWIM? I feel that the person is just acting like they don't understand to try to get something out of me that clearly against my policies.

When it happens to me it's always the same person over and over. I have to admit that I've gotten snarky when someone like this asks me a question and I've answered it in the most "dumbed down" way possible or just litterally repeat myself over and over and give the "stare".

When payments are due
DCM: "Do you mind if I pay you tomorrow?"
ME: "Do you mind keeping DC child home with you today and paying the $10 late fee?"
OR
DCM: "Oh I know but I didn't have a chance to go to the bank this weekend and I ran out of checks"
DCM: brief pause "I know, but I really couldn't get to it ... can I pay you at pick-up at least?"
ME: "Payments for the week are due at drop-off on your child's first day of childcare, otherwise I can't provide childcare" blank, long, uncomfortable stare.

I mean really .
Thanks for the written dialogue. I will be referring back to it when I need it
CheekyChick 06:10 AM 08-31-2011
I hate it!!! I even have a "tuition box" that parents put their payments in so I don't have to take it from them. I hate taking people's money, asking for payments, etc. Ugh.
mismatchedsocks 06:16 AM 08-31-2011
It irks me more then anything. I have some great parents who always pay, no questions, but then others who ask me how much..I mean its the same every week!

Who else asks their boss to be paid?
AnneCordelia 06:38 AM 08-31-2011
I earn this money and have no troubles asking for it. I am like PPs though in that I don't like repeating myself to the parents who act like children.

I also take payments in my hand and make sure the amount is correct while the parent is still in my view. This means counting cash infront of them and issueing a reciept right away for cash. IMO, it's the only way to avoid "but we didn't short you $20..." because they see you counting it. It's not rude; it's businesslike. When I go to the grocery the cashier counts my cash infront of me.
MarinaVanessa 07:16 AM 08-31-2011
Originally Posted by tbutler:
Thanks for the written dialogue. I will be referring back to it when I need it
The sad thing is that you know it will eventually happen and as a childcare provider you are anticipating this conversation . I bet DCP's don't go to their mortgage lenders or credit card companies and ask for the ability to pay late .
SilverSabre25 09:29 AM 08-31-2011
i hate talking money...especially things like the situation I'm facing currently. DCG didn't last week due to a baby being born. She's not coming this week either, and maybe not next week. Today is payday for this family...I don't know if I'm going to get paid. I should, because they used all of their vacation already back in June.

If they don't pay me, even after i tell them they still owe me, then we won't have money to pay bills this week. I'm scared out of my mind about this situation.
E Daycare 09:38 AM 08-31-2011
I hate it too. I had one ex parent "forget" every single week. I even took one of those gerber puffs cans and put neon pink paper around it with "weekly payment" written on it and a big slit cut on the top to shove money in. Still always had to ask.

My current parents always slip it in and I'm able to snatch the money up at nap time to write receipts. My newest one walks in with a check book at pickup but after a Monday chaos and me saying "that's what the canister is for so I can handle this aat I'm sure she'll figure out a way to not have "Monday's are just so hectic for me". Uh huh, same here with 5 kids yet I get all your paperwork done and 4 others.

I like getting paid and you lovely women have taught me how to grow that back bone so I get paid. If not then I don't mind that nice little late fee that tacks on. Especially since I have all part timers so their fees are usually 2 days worth.
Zoe 09:43 AM 08-31-2011
I hate talking about money. Our family has had a hard financial time the last three years and I've had to borrow money from family. That was hard enough to suck up my pride and ask. With money I've actually earned, I feel that I shouldn't have to ask! But yesterday I did. My new dcm came in at drop off and with all that was going on I didn't ask and she didn't give me a check. I didn't realize it until a couple hours later so I had to text her about it. HATED THAT!
blessedmess8 12:40 PM 08-31-2011
Is it just me, or does it seem to happen in "spurts?" Like, everyone will start paying late at the same time! I know I'm too lenient with my DCPs b/c of my dread of discussing $! But, it seems like about twice a year I have to send out a mass e-mail to remind everyone about payments needing to be on time! Uuugh!
AnythingsPossible 02:29 PM 08-31-2011
Absolutely hate money and fees! I shouldn't run my own business! Half the time I feel guilty when I give parents their bill, and I charge on the low end for our area. I should raise my rates, but I cringe just thinking about it.
Abigail 10:19 PM 08-31-2011
I thought I came up with the creative idea of a rent drop box, but when I googled it they were all expensive too! I should call my landlord and ask where they buy theres/how much it was. Then again, you may find one at a second-hand store or place an ad on CL looking for one in the WANTED section and you'll get a response that way. (If you buy it from someone second-hand/CL, I wouldn't let them personally drop it off at your home because what if they kept a spare key and broke in just to unlock and take from it? Just saying, I try to think of the silly and stupid, LOL)
Tags:money, money - talk, talking money
Reply Up