Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parents Ran Out of Days
hope 07:45 AM 12-16-2013
Every year at this time I have parents complain to me that they have used all of their vacation and sick days so if their child gets sick in December they want to send into my care. NO!!!! They should prepare and save a day or two for the end Of the year. I have one dcm ask me this morning if i can open for two days next week. I take off the whole week between Christmas eve and new years day. She has had a years notice to plan for this. I will offer her the services of my sub for time and a half as holiday pay.
Why do parents feel it is our responsibility to fix the mistake they have made in the care for their children?
craftymissbeth 08:05 AM 12-16-2013
"Sure I'll open for you two days next week. Since I've saved my vacation time wisely and have been looking forward to it all year I'll have to charge you accordingly. That will be $150 per day due at the time the request is made. I'll wait here while you run out to your car to grab your checkbook!"
SquirrellyMama 09:04 AM 12-16-2013
My husband has to save vacation days for the end of the year due to possible snow days. They have to use vacation for days when they can't get in due to snow and ice.

He just uses them between Christmas and New Year's if he didn't need them before.

Unfortunately some people just don't want to be bothered to plan ahead like that.

Kelly
Annalee 09:11 AM 12-16-2013
Originally Posted by hope:
Every year at this time I have parents complain to me that they have used all of their vacation and sick days so if their child gets sick in December they want to send into my care. NO!!!! They should prepare and save a day or two for the end Of the year. I have one dcm ask me this morning if i can open for two days next week. I take off the whole week between Christmas eve and new years day. She has had a years notice to plan for this. I will offer her the services of my sub for time and a half as holiday pay.
Why do parents feel it is our responsibility to fix the mistake they have made in the care for their children?
I have a sign on my entrance bulletin board that reads "Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!"
hope 09:13 AM 12-16-2013
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
"Sure I'll open for you two days next week. Since I've saved my vacation time wisely and have been looking forward to it all year I'll have to charge you accordingly. That will be $150 per day due at the time the request is made. I'll wait here while you run out to your car to grab your checkbook!"
Love it!!!! Well no amount of money would be worth watching their children those days. I work two jobs and have been looking forward to some one on one time with my kids and husband. I know my sub would love the opportunity to make a little extra money. I am going to make sure she gets paid very well. Maybe next year they will plan ahead.
daycarediva 09:59 AM 12-16-2013
Originally Posted by hope:
Love it!!!! Well no amount of money would be worth watching their children those days. I work two jobs and have been looking forward to some one on one time with my kids and husband. I know my sub would love the opportunity to make a little extra money. I am going to make sure she gets paid very well. Maybe next year they will plan ahead.
I have parents that would pay that amount without hesitation! I would absolutely charge AT MINIMUM, twice your assistant's rate per hour, paid in advance.

I would say double their daily rate, but that wouldn't cover the assistants salary!
littlemissmuffet 10:03 AM 12-16-2013
We put money aside throughout the year if hubs or I have to take extra days outside of our vacation or sick time. We don't expect other people to be responsible for us - we are adults.
cheerfuldom 10:35 AM 12-16-2013
People need to have a backup plan at all times. Parents need to deal with this on their own.
Reply Up