Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Would You Charge For This?
Josiegirl 03:02 PM 06-12-2018
A dcm asked me today if I'd be willing to open at 6:30 instead of 7:00 a couple days a week for July and August. I charge her $130 a week and my hours are 7-5. If you agreed to this, how much more would you charge?
TooManyKitties 03:11 PM 06-12-2018
How annoying would it be for you to open early? Based on your $2.60 hourly rate, maybe $5 or $10 extra a week, depending on how much it inconveniences you. Definitely charge a premium, that’s for sure.
LysesKids 03:22 PM 06-12-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
A dcm asked me today if I'd be willing to open at 6:30 instead of 7:00 a couple days a week for July and August. I charge her $130 a week and my hours are 7-5. If you agreed to this, how much more would you charge?
I charge $5 per hr (or part of) for anything over 10 hrs daily... its $5 regardless if you need 15 minutes or 55 and the extra fee is paid in advance for entire time requested; non refundable/not credited if you arrive later than planned... after 12 hrs you are looking at a huge fee hike lol. Most my families have a long commute so 9-10 hrs is a normal day for babes here
Cat Herder 05:05 AM 06-13-2018
$1 per minute.

It is in my contract.

I work more hours than they do for less money, already.

When it is for something fun, like me time, they happily pay it. It is baffling.

At their job, they earn overtime for extra hours.
lovemykidstoo 05:11 AM 06-13-2018
I would charge $5 per day. I had one mom a particular time that wanted her daughter to come 15 minutes before I opened. I said sure it's $5 extra. All of a sudden she had a plan B. lol. I laughed. Worked for me!
amberrose3dg 05:12 AM 06-13-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
$1 per minute.

It is in my contract.

I work more hours than they do for less money, already.

When it is for something fun, like me time, they happily pay it. It is baffling.

At their job, they earn overtime for extra hours.

Same here. I will also point out the more you do for a family such as stay open later the less appreciative they are. Those families end up being your pains in the butt and rule breakers. They already got you to open early or stay open later.
Cat Herder 05:20 AM 06-13-2018
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:

Same here. I will also point out the more you do for a family such as stay open later the less appreciative they are. Those families end up being your pains in the butt and rule breakers. They already got you to open early or stay open later.
Welcome to the dark side We have cookies.

Spot on.

By doing extra you decrease the perceived value of what you already offer.
rosieteddy 06:40 AM 06-13-2018
I did this ,I opened half hour early.I charged 10 dollars per day extra.They had to pay with there usual tuition and it was nonrefundable.If you do not charge enough other parents see you are opening early and start showing up a few minutes early as well.Next thing you know your opening time has permanently changed. I even had to put it on my calendar at entrance opening times-closing times.IF at all possible you should charge the 10.it has to be worth it to you that half hour is a big deal.
Snowmom 06:47 AM 06-13-2018
Scheduled ahead of time, I charge $15/hr outside my normal operating hours. I do not prorate the hour.
Mike 07:08 AM 06-13-2018
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
Scheduled ahead of time, I charge $15/hr outside my normal operating hours. I do not prorate the hour.
That's what I would go with. Outside normal hours has to be at least minimum wage.
Blackcat31 07:26 AM 06-13-2018
Can I ask why? Is it work related or personal?

Will it mean picking up earlier too or will the pick up time remain the same?

How many kids? Has this family been with you for a while or are they new? History?

(I feel like a 2 yr old with all the questions... )
Jupadia 08:05 AM 06-13-2018
For me it would depend on the family of I would do it or not. I would have them sign an amendment to yours and tuition rate with both a start and end date involved.
Personally I would charge enough that it would make sense to do it at least $10 more per day. Yes their usually fee may break down different but you have other kids in care during those hours. This would be a premium fee for outside of normal care hours. I've charged this rate for parents when they have asked if I would occasionally be available for care after hours (parents wanted a couple date nights).
Pestle 08:19 AM 06-13-2018
When my teacher mom is out of town, her husband has to drop off before he goes to his physical therapy job, so they drop off an hour before I open. They pay fifteen per day.
daycarediva 09:16 AM 06-13-2018
My before/after care hours are $21/hr (my hourly rate for 6 kids). I'm AT LEAST making what I do normally if working extra. $5-10/week would NOT be worth it to me.
Josiegirl 09:29 AM 06-13-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Can I ask why? Is it work related or personal?

Will it mean picking up earlier too or will the pick up time remain the same?

How many kids? Has this family been with you for a while or are they new? History?

(I feel like a 2 yr old with all the questions... )
It's work related. Dcm works as a nurse 60 miles away and usually her mom drops him off but her mom is going away for July-Aug. Dcd(remember dhdcd?)works so can't bring him in those days. So if she's going to work those days, she needs to bring him in earlier.
They started when school started last fall, dcb is okay; he has his moments. But I had issues in the beginning with dcd never paying on time and racking up late payment all the time. Then dcm agreed to pay me every week but didn't want me to tell dcd....that didn't happen. And by the sounds of things I probably won't have him past when school opens again anyways. She's already trying to work out how she can do it without dc. Just the 1 dcb, he's 4 yo and I assume she'll be picking up around the regular time.

I'm probably going to tell her I'll try it for a couple weeks so I don't commit to the whole summer. And I'm torn between charging her 10 a day or my normal 'outside of regular dc rates(early/late fees)' which would be $5 for the 1st 15 minutes, then $1 a minute= $20.
amberrose3dg 09:32 AM 06-13-2018
It's work related. Dcm works as a nurse 60 miles away and usually her mom drops him off but her mom is going away for July-Aug. Dcd(remember dhdcd?)works so can't bring him in those days. So if she's going to work those days, she needs to bring him in earlier.
They started when school started last fall, dcb is okay; he has his moments. But I had issues in the beginning with dcd never paying on time and racking up late payment all the time. Then dcm agreed to pay me every week but didn't want me to tell dcd....that didn't happen. And by the sounds of things I probably won't have him past when school opens again anyways. She's already trying to work out how she can do it without dc. Just the 1 dcb, he's 4 yo and I assume she'll be picking up around the regular time.

I'm probably going to tell her I'll try it for a couple weeks so I don't commit to the whole summer. And I'm torn between charging her 10 a day or my normal 'outside of regular dc rates(early/late fees)' which would be $5 for the 1st 15 minutes, then $1 a minute= $20.
Charge more money. Make it worth it. She might figure something out then.
LittleScholars 10:59 AM 06-13-2018

My vote is $20/day. A day is only so long and this requires you to spend even more of your precious time doing daycare. Personally, I'm at a point that there isn't any amount of money that could make me open early or stay late because I value my limited family time so much (my first is young and I have another on the way).
Josiegirl 02:41 PM 06-13-2018
Originally Posted by LittleScholars:
My vote is $20/day. A day is only so long and this requires you to spend even more of your precious time doing daycare. Personally, I'm at a point that there isn't any amount of money that could make me open early or stay late because I value my limited family time so much (my first is young and I have another on the way).
That's exactly the way I feel too. And my own are grown and gone so I don't even have a good reason. I'm just done in so many ways. I'll tell her 20 a day, if it's not acceptable, I'm sure she'll figure something else out.
Thanks everybody!!!
amberrose3dg 02:47 AM 06-14-2018
That's exactly the way I feel too. And my own are grown and gone so I don't even have a good reason. I'm just done in so many ways. I'll tell her 20 a day, if it's not acceptable, I'm sure she'll figure something else out.
Thanks everybody!!!

Stressed&Obsessed 08:23 AM 06-14-2018
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:

Amen!! I have unfortunately learned the same thing! And then when you deny them special privilege they call the state on you!
Tags:early arrival, early arrival fee, rates
Reply Up