Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Book Club - Reviews / Suggestions>Free Books From Dolly Parton
E Daycare 03:57 AM 02-18-2011
Has anyone used this program; Dolly Parton's Imagination Library? (link here: http://www.imaginationlibrary.com/usa/). Its available in my area so I signed my son up today. Says your child can receive books up to age 5. If you use this, do you get age specific books or are they just basic "every body poops" kind of books? I know they wont be sending books that are meant for 5th graders but I was just curious what kinds people have gotten in the past.

Either way, itll be nice to get a new book once a month to add to my library. I know the kids will appreciate it.
KEG123 04:39 AM 02-18-2011
My son has been enrolled from birth and now he is almost 3. It's a great club. The books started out simple, board books, but are getting more complex the older he gets. We loooove our books here!!!
GretasLittleFriends 04:45 AM 02-18-2011
It's not available in our area.
heyhun77 04:48 AM 02-18-2011
We received these with our youngest and the books are terrific. As the pp said they progress through the age of the child. Some of our favorite books here with all the kids (my own and the dck) are ones that my ds received in the mail.
heyhun77 04:50 AM 02-18-2011
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:
It's not available in our area.
You should contact your local United Way or similar organization and suggest that they support this program. That is how it is funded locally is by a sponsoring organization. Here in our community we have over 8,000 kids getting books each month and the program is sponsored by the United Way
kitkat 05:52 AM 02-18-2011
Our local United Way doesn't do the program, but the United Way in the city my husband works is does, so we are enrolled that way. DS has aged out, but DD is still enrolled. The kids get so excited to get a new book when Daddy gets home. Most of the books are good. Some are ones that I wouldn't pick out personally, but it's free, so I'm not complaining. Some of the kids favorites have come from this program. It's definitely worth signing up for!
DCMomOf3 07:03 AM 02-18-2011
I have been waiting years for someone to pick this up here.
kitkat 08:02 AM 02-18-2011
Originally Posted by DCMomOf3:
I have been waiting years for someone to pick this up here.
I would check the zip codes (work and home) of DH, grandparents, or any other family members. If the program is sponsored in their area, see if they can sign up for you. I'm not sure if a parent needs to sign up or if someone else can. DH gets the books sent to his work.
lil angels 09:00 AM 02-18-2011
Yep I have 2 that are enrolled my oldest doesn't get books anymore but my youngest does and I think it is great to I even picked up some forms and gave them to parents that didn't know about it.
Unregistered 09:23 AM 02-18-2011
I love the program. My son loves to get the books in the mail and yes they are age appropriate. Our birth center signs you up (with your approval) when you deliver. If you move in the area after your kids are born you can also sign up through the united way.

Also, I have gotten extra free books by calling united way and asking for books that have gotten returned because of mailing errors or people moving without updating their address. I have just told them I do daycare and they will be for sure going to kids who need them!
KEG123 09:39 AM 02-18-2011
I have a question for you ladies now.... to those who have 2+ kids enrolled in the program, do they send different books or are they all the same?
Unregistered 09:51 AM 02-18-2011
Ours goes in the same order like same first book, same second book etc. So if your kids are the same ages you would get two of the same books. If one is older and one is younger you would get one younger kid book and one older kid book. Atleast in our area.

2 are always great for daycare = )
Abigail 10:38 PM 02-18-2011
Originally Posted by KEG123:
I have a question for you ladies now.... to those who have 2+ kids enrolled in the program, do they send different books or are they all the same?
My friend has her 2 and 3 year old enrolled and I've noticed they have a lot of duplicates....if they came one year apart I'm not sure. They were all in good condition.
littlemonkeys 10:55 PM 02-18-2011
Not available in my area either!
E Daycare 04:59 AM 02-19-2011
It took a little bit to come to my area too. I first found about this from a dck that lived a town over and he was receiving the books. He brought it with him one day and his mom said he gets these books every month. I looked into in my area but it wasnt available yet. I saw it was finally offered in my area when I was reading the paper this week. Im excited! I like stuff like this for my kiddo. I bought DS a script to High Five, a toddlers monthly magazine from the publishers of Highlights. Its nice to get new reading material in the mail and he gets excited to sit down and "read" them with me.

Just like with any good habit, start them young!
Tags:book club, books, dolly parton, library
Reply Up