Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Corn Allergies?
KEG123 09:59 AM 02-21-2011
Anyone have a kid with corn allergies? What are some things you have to avoid, or more specifically what CAN they have?

I asked the potential dcm to provide a list of excluded foods and to list some things she can eat....but I wanted to hear from you all too!
Cat Herder 10:11 AM 02-21-2011
Would that be a corn gluten allergy??

IDK, in all my years I have not seen true food alllergies. They are just not that common around here, I guess??

Too weird....IMHO
KEG123 10:16 AM 02-21-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Would that be a corn gluten allergy??

IDK, in all my years I have not seen true food allergies. They are just not that common around here, I guess??

Too weird....IMHO
Yeah they said anything corn, corn meal, corn syrup, etc. They said she gets a rash, watery eyes, extra saliva, but does not require epi pen. They also said they've been lessening as she gets older... so hopefully it's something she'll outgrow.
DCMomOf3 10:17 AM 02-21-2011
I found these sites which may be helpful. T

Cooking Allergy Free

Corn Allergens
DCMomOf3 10:19 AM 02-21-2011
the list is long, and it seems like the things listed are in most processed foods. I wonder how extensive her allergy really is. I would find it very hard to avoid some of the allergens listed.
SilverSabre25 10:20 AM 02-21-2011
label read, label read, label read. You'll have to avoid pretty much all processed foods as many, if not most, of them will be using corn-based ingredients.

Is there any possibility of the parents providing the child's food?

Ask for a list of ingredients to watch for--corn syrup, corn syrup solids, high fructose corn syrup, to name a few. I'm sure there are going to be plenty of others.
KEG123 10:21 AM 02-21-2011
They said it wasn't a severe allergy... but I told her to get a list to me of things she definitely could not have. So I guess we'll see. I know they do a lot of organic, which we also do... so I don't know... I guess we'll see when/if she comes
Cat Herder 10:24 AM 02-21-2011
Wow!!! The list is staggerring...

So maybe just do a simple diet of single ingredient whole foods like meats, veggies, legumes, potatoes and fruits and you should be in the clear....

Leave the breads for Mom to figure out....
KEG123 10:29 AM 02-21-2011
mom looked at one of our "main" breads we used and said it was ok. She also said she has a reaction to bleached flour but is trying to figure out if it's just flour that aggrivates her, or if it's the bleaching process because I guess she's ok with whole wheat flour.
Tags:allergies, corn, corn allergies
Reply Up