Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Need idea for dinner!
marniewon 11:20 AM 02-23-2011
It's getting kind of late, but thought maybe someone had a recipe they could share. I'm pinching my pennies this week (who am I kidding - it's been all month!!) and trying to use up things in my cupboards instead of buying more food. The jist of what I have is: rice, beans (red), onions, tomatoes. I have spices and other things like velveeta cheese, cream cheese, etc. Anyone have any idea if there is anything I can make with these items? I googled for a site that could give me recipes based on my items on hand and I didn't really find anything. Isn't there anything that has rice AND beans in it?
nikia 11:23 AM 02-23-2011
Do you have hamburger?
Lilbutterflie 11:24 AM 02-23-2011
Red Beans and Rice! You could google for a recipe, but I found this one:

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/authen...ce/Detail.aspx

You would just omit the sausage. Still a nice meal. Maybe serve with sliced tomatoes on the side?
momofsix 11:26 AM 02-23-2011
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:

You would just omit the sausage. Still a nice meal. Maybe serve with sliced tomatoes on the side?
Exactly what I was thinking!!!

Are you in/near GR? In the press today they have a section called "Just Bag It"-about fixing meals for a week from one grocery bag worth of stuff! Not good for this week, but maybe something to look into for the future? I'm thinking it sounds pretty cool and a good way to save money!
marniewon 11:56 AM 02-23-2011
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:

YUUMMMM! That won't work for tonight, but I'm definitely going to get the ingredients to try that one soon!

Originally Posted by momofsix:
Exactly what I was thinking!!!

Are you in/near GR? In the press today they have a section called "Just Bag It"-about fixing meals for a week from one grocery bag worth of stuff! Not good for this week, but maybe something to look into for the future? I'm thinking it sounds pretty cool and a good way to save money!
I'm about 2 hours away from GR, but some of my family live there. Would this article be online? If not I can ask my parents to save it for me. I'm sure I'll be seeing them sometime.
dEHmom 12:00 PM 02-23-2011
coat the rice in velveeta, add any veggies you want to it, peas, beans etc.
Cat Herder 12:40 PM 02-23-2011
If you have some eggs you could make fried rice....
marniewon 03:09 PM 02-23-2011
All good ideas!! Here's what I did.

Fried an onion in butter, then added the rice. When that was broken up well, I added diced tomatoes and the beans. When that was all cooked I added Velveeta cheese. It wasn't bad. My dh said it tasted just like the cheese/tomato/salsa dip that I usually make for tortilla chips, only with rice! LOL
Reply Up