Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Downsizing my daycare...and need to pick a child to let go...
PolkaTots 06:28 AM 08-21-2012
I have made the decision to downsize my daycare beginning next month from Category B, back to Category A...(In Iowa a B can care for 4 School Agers, 2 PT and 6 FT, an A can care for 2 School Agers and 6 FT) Right now I have 2 school agers and 2 PT and 5 FT, and I need to pick a FT to let go (My PT's pay me FT rates because I transport them to their preschool)

Which would you pick???

-1 year old-Have had for 8 months, throws massive temper tantrums and screaming fits, great parents, but child causes me the most stress. I keep hoping he will grow out of this phase, but he's been tempermental since I took him on. In my 5 years, hands down the most easily upset infant I have ever cared for.

-2 year old-Have had for 1 month, sweet child, pretty good listener, but parents do not follow their contracted time...and seem to have a 3 hour window around arrivals and departures, sometimes arriving after hours, and never notifying me (not easy to plan meals and school drop offs and pick ups) parents cause me the most stress.

-18 month old-Have had for 2 weeks, very good listener, and nice parents, but she's been here the least amount of time.

The 2 year old and the 18 month old came to me from a provider who closed, so I know they are in contact with eachother, and kind of worried if I let one go, the other will follow.

What would you do?
renodeb 06:36 AM 08-21-2012
Thats a toughy, I would have to say the 18 m/o or 1 y/o. Good luck with your
decision.
Debbie
Blackcat31 06:42 AM 08-21-2012
Personally I would let the 2 year old go simply because of the issues the parents present.

If you truly think the 18 month old will follow, then I may reconsider and let the 8 month old go but I really think the 2 yr old is your biggest issue. I can tolerate some funky behavior in children long before I can tolerate bad behavior in parents....kwim?

Can you talk with the family of the 18 month old and get a feel for whether they will go or stay if you term the 2 year old?

That is a tough one...I guess only you really know what to do.....
cheerfuldom 07:22 AM 08-21-2012
I would do a discussion with the difficult parents, make sure they can get on board with your future plans of sticking to your policies, implement some fees if you have to. If they can get it together, term the 1 year old.

It depends on the parents but sometimes it is easier to get the parents to change than expect a young child to be able to work around his existing personality. some kids are just very sensitive and challenging and that isnt going to go away just because you downsize
Reply Up