Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Couple Of Issues
melissa ann 10:44 AM 09-13-2011
Okay, in august I got a tv and dvd/vcr for the daycare. Used. Since I opened in 2008 I never had one. I decided that Fridays would be movie day and each week a different child could bring in a movie. Well, one girl. brings 1-2 dvds everytime she is here (3 days/week) We do do not watch them unless it's friday and it's her day. She gets mad, but oh well. Rules are for everyone. I've had issues with her and her mom since day 1 (a year ago) She bought a make up bag with make up in it and carries it around. She will also bring her bathing suit and carries it with her all day. She will be 4 in a couple of weeks.

Another thing is texting. For family above her schedule is the same every week. Now the other family's schedule varies and mom texts me the schedule. That is fine no problem. However, mom from above, will text me every morning to say they are on their way. Drop off for them is 8:30. But I recently put in my handbook, that all children need to be here by 9. I feel as long as they will be here by then you don't have to text me. She will also text me almost every afternoon to ask how her daughter's day is going. I don't have time to always respond right away and lately I have been unable to text in my house. I need to go out on my front porch. Again, with the kids I am not always able to. My issue with the cell phone is that I have a trac phone. Before this mom, I would run out of days before the minutes ran out. Now, I'm running out of minutes before days. I'm on a limited budget.

I am thinking of making up a notice that absolutely no movies unless it's your child's day. When the weather is bad, sometimes we do watch a movie, but I have plenty here for those days. 2nd, if you will not be later than 9am at drop off, there is no need to text me. For those who are interested, I will make up daily papers for their child so that they can see what their child was doing that day.
daycare 10:49 AM 09-13-2011
for the moives, during the rainy season I make out a schedule of Friday moives and designate a different child each week. I also limit it to what kind of movie can be brought in. Don't want a child brining Austin Powers or something....Just designate the day and who brings it when and all is good. If they forget, then have a back up.
It's sad, but you do need to write down the rules for it or the parents will not know what it is that you are doing....

I would let the texting mom know that your phone issue just as you told us. I have had issues with texting that I had to put in my PHB.
melissa ann 10:55 AM 09-13-2011
I just renewed the handbook/contract last month. The movie issue along with no toys bought from house is in it. The toy rule has always been in the handbook. I never had a problem with it untill this girl.
I also send out monthly newsletters and put in reminder policies if something is going on that shouldn't be.
I had mention this girl before. Her mom does not know how to say no to her. The mom and dad are seperated and mom just lavishes on the girl. Whatever she wants she gets/does.
melissa ann 10:57 AM 09-13-2011
oh, I also make a monthly calender that I give to each family and one hangs in the entry when they come in. This way everyone knows whose turn it is to bring a movie.
laundrymom 10:59 AM 09-13-2011
I'd tell mom at pickup that you turned off your texting and have limited minutes on your phone. That if something comes up you will call her but she doesn't have to text you every afternoon because you switched to a pay as you go plan to save$$
wdmmom 11:00 AM 09-13-2011
I tell my parents...no news is good news. Translation...text me all you want. If I don't have time to respond, assume all is well, we are busy and having fun.
morgan24 04:36 PM 09-13-2011
I had a 3 year dcb who brought movies every day. They knew that I didn't have a T.V. in my play room and still brought movies. I handed them back to dcm every day for a couple of months. He started throwing a fit about coming because I wouldn't let him watch his movies upstairs alone. They ended up leaving and left me with 2 empty spaces. I didn't care, a three year old is not going to control whether I have movie time or not. I would hand them back every day and I would do the same with the make up, just say that you don't allow that at daycare.

I would ask dcm that texts you to please stop and explain to her why. I thought that your reasons in your post were very reasonable.
JusDoU 06:02 PM 09-13-2011
I would go over the rules again and if she keeps bringing movies they would just go home with out being watched if its not movie day or her turn. Any toys/clothes would be kept in her cubby and returned home.

tell her she doesnt need to text/call you if theyre be there before 9. and she can check up on her whenever she wants via text but u may not be able to respond everytime. Which means everything is fine if she doesnt here from you.

just because her daughter is her whole life, obviously, she's not yours. If she has a problem with that, she can move on.
Solandia 07:59 AM 09-14-2011
no advice on the tv thing, I have a deep dislike for having the tv on...cause more problems than it is worth.

Trac phone FYI---if you do not open the text, you wont get charged for it. It will only show the first 5 or 6 characters of the txt msg as a preview if you go through the menu to your inbox...good enough if mom want to text "OTW!" no need to burn up your minutes opening it to read it. You just cannot hit ok at the initial notification, rather cancel/close that, and go into the inbox through the menu, and delete. Why pay for messages that are just say 'ok' or 'OTW'?
Tags:movie, rules, television, tv
Reply Up