Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Outside Drinks
JJPlaycare 12:55 PM 06-14-2012
How do you guys keep the kids hydrated while outdoors?
cheerfuldom 12:57 PM 06-14-2012
we just come in for water breaks. I dont do sippies outside. Sometimes we will do small paper cups outside, or popsicles.
Blackcat31 01:00 PM 06-14-2012
My potty trained kids each have their own water bottle (2/$1 at Michael's) and for the other kids, I keep a 4 gallon jug of fresh water and a few Dixie cups outside for them to get drinks. I hand them out so there is no continual drinking just for the sake of drinking.

Works great. I also have an outdoor drinking fountain but that is just asking for trouble so we have stopped putting it out over the last few years.
JJPlaycare 01:10 PM 06-14-2012
My sisters son goes to a church based center and I picked him up once and they were all getting a drink and I thought it was a GREAT idea, but not sure if it is the most sanitary thing and was honestly quite surprised to see it lol I will try to explain it the best I can... basically it was PVC pipe it was set up like a saw horse I guess. 4 PVC pipe legs and then a long PVC pipe connecting the legs they had holes drilled to this pipe and it was hooked up to their outside faucet. They would turn it on and water would disperse out of the holes and the kids would all stand there and drink!
spud912 01:18 PM 06-14-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My potty trained kids each have their own water bottle (2/$1 at Michael's) and for the other kids, I keep a 4 gallon jug of fresh water and a few Dizie cups outside for them to get drinks. I hand them out so their is no continual drinking just for the sake of drinking.

Works great. I also have an outdoor drinking fountain but that is just asking for trouble so we have stopped putting it out over the last few years.
Great idea, I may have to steal that!
BumbleBee 02:23 PM 06-14-2012
When I worked at a center I would bring out their sippy cups/water bottles with us. They were free to drink from their own cup at any time. If I noticed a child not drinking any water, I will make it a point to offer them water every so often. The novelty of having their water out there wore off after about a week.
littlemissmuffet 02:45 PM 06-14-2012
We have indoor sippy cups and outdoor sippy cups! All my kiddos are really excellent with knowing who's is who's and never mix them up.
familyschoolcare 03:00 PM 06-14-2012
Each child has thier own water bottle
daycare 03:04 PM 06-14-2012
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:
Each child has thier own water bottle
same here....I require it as part of items they need to bring and leave here when they start. I fill them with ice and water in the morning and they have access to them only at the tables. They must sit down to drink them.

I wash them at the end of the day for the next days use...
Kaddidle Care 04:18 PM 06-14-2012
Originally Posted by JJPlaycare:
My sisters son goes to a church based center and I picked him up once and they were all getting a drink and I thought it was a GREAT idea, but not sure if it is the most sanitary thing and was honestly quite surprised to see it lol I will try to explain it the best I can... basically it was PVC pipe it was set up like a saw horse I guess. 4 PVC pipe legs and then a long PVC pipe connecting the legs they had holes drilled to this pipe and it was hooked up to their outside faucet. They would turn it on and water would disperse out of the holes and the kids would all stand there and drink!
Oh my gosh - NO! They're not watering the hogs, they are children!

We use water bottles - each child has their own and it's marked with their name. The older ones know their names and we help the younger ones. Most know at least the first letter of their names.
Zoe 04:51 PM 06-14-2012
Each child has their own water bottle that I taped a colored piece of paper with their name on it. They each have a particular color for their meal plates (ex Suzie has a pink cup, bowl, plate every time) so they know that when they see their color they know that's their water bottle.
Meyou 03:04 AM 06-15-2012
I take a big jug of water and cups outside in the summer. They stay on the table and they ask as their thirsty. I offer to the littles often as well. I do let them drink right out of the hose in the middle of the summer sometimes but I'm always holding it. They love it and it was something I like to do as a child too.
Creek 06:38 AM 06-15-2012
We do sippy cups outside. Each child has their own colour.
We bring them if we go to the park, are on the deck or in the backyard.
Kiki 06:43 AM 06-15-2012
Originally Posted by Creek:
We do sippy cups outside. Each child has their own colour.
We bring them if we go to the park, are on the deck or in the backyard.
Same here. My oldest DD and niece have water bottles, but they are both 8,9 so a little big for sippy cups.
jojosmommy 10:39 AM 06-15-2012
I have a big cooler and small dixie cups. I bring it out when needed and control the drinks otherwise we drink too much, feel icky, have to go to the bathroom, etc.
mema 11:23 AM 06-15-2012
Everyone has their own water bottles. We bring them outside full. Usually by the time they are empty or close to it, we are headed in for a potty or meal break anyway and refill them then. If not, I will just fill them with the hose. We take them to the park too. Everyone has their own color and knows what that is. I have sippy cups for the younger one because he hasn't figured these out yet.

http://www.gocontigo.com/autoseal-ki...kker-cups.html
DCMom 11:53 AM 06-15-2012
I have a 5-gallon water cooler that has it's own little stand with a waste basket under it. We take regular water breaks; I use 3 oz paper cups and everyone lines up to get a drink. If it's a mostly 'outside' day, then I will label my indoor cups with tape and they can use them outside for the day. I just keep them upside down on a tray when not in use.

I have 14 kids everyday in the summer; 20 kids on the roster ~ some part time, some full time, ages 8 months to 10 years old. I hate the refilling, monitoring whose is whose, chewing the tops, the littles wanting at them every waking second, storing them when not in use, washing them everyday (in addition to all the other dishes!) and just water bottles in general, lol!

But that's just me
Tags:dehydrated, outdoor play
Reply Up