Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Red mark/scratch from cot?
stephanie 04:52 PM 03-05-2015
Hi, new here. I've been lurking for several months but now have a question I hope you all can help me with.

I work in a center, and today after nap one of our kids woke up with a red mark on his cheek, sort of resembling a scratch, but more like a light colored hickey. Since the kid hadn't done anything after nap but wash his hands and go eat snack (we discovered the mark while he was sitting at the table eating), we figured he must've rubbed his face against his cot while in his sleep, causing the mark. Another child got a very similar-looking mark on his face a few days ago and none of us teachers know where he got it from, so we're thinking he must've gotten the mark from his cot too. My co-teacher rubbed her face against a cot for a minute and said it hurt/irritated her face.

Center workers, any dcps who use cots for naptime--have any of you experienced kids getting skin irritations from cots? Of course we use blankets and pillows on the cots for the kids to sleep on, but sometimes they move around in their sleep and end up resting their face on the cot itself, not their pillow. I'm mostly just asking for peace of mind, since as you can imagine Mom is not too happy and my co-workers and I really have no idea how else he could've gotten a mark on his face. Thanks in advance for any help!
Thriftylady 04:55 PM 03-05-2015
Crib sheets will fit my cots. Mine are still brand new, haven't used them yet because my kids have all been to old or to young for them. But I have the crib sheets for them. Try that maybe?
stephanie 05:11 PM 03-05-2015
That's what my director is planning on doing. I guess it hasn't been an issue in the past (I just started at this place, it's my 2nd week) so that's why we don't use sheets right now. I was curious to hear if anybody else has experienced this, or if the invisible man came in and scratched this kid, because we can't figure it out! Thank you!
Gemma 05:36 PM 03-05-2015
I use cots, with a mat on top, that works great for me!
daycare 05:36 PM 03-05-2015
I have kids who sleep with cribs sheets on them on the smaller ones and the larger kids use their blanket. I have never really seen this happen before that it would leave a mark for more than a few minutes and then it would go away.

I had some of these make, but they are pricy.

http://www.amazon.com/Urban-Infant-D...ords=cot+cover
jenboo 05:54 PM 03-05-2015
ive never used the cots without sheets on them.
Gemma 06:37 PM 03-05-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
I have kids who sleep with cribs sheets on them on the smaller ones and the larger kids use their blanket. I have never really seen this happen before that it would leave a mark for more than a few minutes and then it would go away.

I had some of these make, but they are pricy.

http://www.amazon.com/Urban-Infant-D...ords=cot+cover
Those are cool!
I might think about it when the mats get old, Thank you!
spinnymarie 12:03 PM 03-06-2015
Originally Posted by jenboo:
ive never used the cots without sheets on them.
Same here.
Tags:centers, cots
Reply Up