Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Being Late Without Communication
Pandaluver21 08:36 AM 08-14-2018
Mostly having to do with drop off/pick ups. Yesterday my earliest kid got here 30minutes late with no communication from mom. He comes early enough that nobody else is usually here for about an hour or so after him, so I was just sitting there waiting for the first 15 minutes or so then finally gave up and went about my business. My drop off is in a separate building than my home (about 10 steps away from my house) So it's a bit of a pain in the bum to just sit out there and wait for who knows how long.

Today my second drop off usually comes around 8:15, but she has been getting later and later. She /usually/ lets me know what time she'll be here... today I haven't heard a thing from her and it's after 9:30 now.

I would like to change my contract/handbook to stat that if your child is 10(?) minutes past drop off they will be counted as absent and are not allowed to attend that day. Two days of "no call no show" result in termination.

Does this sound "fair" or worded properly?!
Blackcat31 09:11 AM 08-14-2018
Originally Posted by Pandaluver21:
Mostly having to do with drop off/pick ups. Yesterday my earliest kid got here 30minutes late with no communication from mom. He comes early enough that nobody else is usually here for about an hour or so after him, so I was just sitting there waiting for the first 15 minutes or so then finally gave up and went about my business. My drop off is in a separate building than my home (about 10 steps away from my house) So it's a bit of a pain in the bum to just sit out there and wait for who knows how long.

Today my second drop off usually comes around 8:15, but she has been getting later and later. She /usually/ lets me know what time she'll be here... today I haven't heard a thing from her and it's after 9:30 now.

I would like to change my contract/handbook to stat that if your child is 10(?) minutes past drop off they will be counted as absent and are not allowed to attend that day. Two days of "no call no show" result in termination.

My policy book says something similar. NOT because I honestly care what time a child arrives (Other than mid-lunch or rest time) but simply because it is a matter of respect. I often times hold off on certain activities so I am not right in the middle of filling paint cups when someone arrives causing me to direct my attention off my eager painters.....kwim?

So, if a parent plans on arriving more than 15 mins past their scheduled pick up time they must notify me (calling or texting) and if they don't I do mark them as absent and move along with my day. I usually wait about 30-60 minutes beyond their scheduled drop off and text them and say "Your child was scheduled for care today at xx a.m. We have delayed our schedules for more than x minutes and can not hold off on our daily activities any longer. Your child has been marked absent for the day as a 'No show'. Please be aware that after 3 NS/NC your child care services will be terminated."and then I move along with my day.

Sometimes the parent just sheepishly shows up (or calls) .... and gets a lecture about respecting everyone's time but most the time the parent just shows up the next scheduled day as if nothing happened.
Pandaluver21 10:01 AM 08-14-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My policy book says something similar. NOT because I honestly care what time a child arrives (Other than mid-lunch or rest time) but simply because it is a matter of respect. I often times hold off on certain activities so I am not right in the middle of filling paint cups when someone arrives causing me to direct my attention off my eager painters.....kwim?

So, if a parent plans on arriving more than 15 mins past their scheduled pick up time they must notify me (calling or texting) and if they don't I do mark them as absent and move along with my day. I usually wait about 30-60 minutes beyond their scheduled drop off and text them and say "Your child was scheduled for care today at xx a.m. We have delayed our schedules for more than x minutes and can not hold off on our daily activities any longer. Your child has been marked absent for the day as a 'No show'. Please be aware that after 3 NS/NC your child care services will be terminated."and then I move along with my day.

Sometimes the parent just sheepishly shows up (or calls) .... and gets a lecture about respecting everyone's time but most the time the parent just shows up the next scheduled day as if nothing happened.
^ That is exactly it! During the summer I don't care what their regular drop off time is (during the school year is different, as we are a preschool program) but I just hate having to hold off my day until they show up without knowing if/when they will!

I have thought about also texting them saying that their child is counted absent and that I will see them tomorrow, but I hate taking the time to message them just as much as taking the time to go answer the door But I also want to make sure they know.

I think I will have it be three, instead of two though.
Currently my contract says if you will be late AT ALL, that you are required to call or message (brightwheel) My past contract said 15 minutes, but they seemed to take that as permission to be 14 minutes late!
LysesKids 11:18 AM 08-14-2018
Originally Posted by Pandaluver21:

This is what my policy reads...

If you are scheduled to arrive before 9 AM, there is a possibility that you are the first arrival for the day as everyone has a different contracted schedule; If you are running late or will not be attending, you MUST contact me a MINIMUM of 30 minutes PRIOR to your scheduled arrival time as I plan each day based on the first scheduled child to arrive.

If a child has not arrived within 30 minutes of their contracted drop off time and parent or guardian has not called or texted to report late arrival, then I will text you once to make sure everything is OK, then I go on with my day as though you have called your child in sick.

It will then be your responsibility to find and pay for other care for the day should you show up late without a call, especially if I have closed due to no other children attending that day; After 3 "no-show or no-contacts" I will terminate services.
Pandaluver21 12:07 PM 08-14-2018
Mom messaged saying they just woke up because they were up late last night due to a death in the family. She was very apologetic, and in some circumstances I definitely understand things do not always go the way parents plan. I still want to include this in my contract though, as this is not the first time she (or any parent) has done this.
Tags:drop off policy, late drop offs, parents - don't communicate
Reply Up