Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Long For 9 Month Old To Get Used To Daycare/New Care
graham.shellbell 01:01 PM 09-21-2011
I have a new little one that started last week..he is a crier. The whole time he is here he cries and cries..he has only been here one full day and one 2 hour day(sickness has swept through here and we are just now getting back to "normal"). I am wondering how long does it usually take a kid to get adjusted to the new setting? I know at his last daycare he cried a lot but it is my understanding the sitter wasn't very patient(but who really knows). The first day here I got him to nap a few times which was more than mom said he ever did at last daycare. He seems to really like my hubby but we have 9 kids to watch so he can't be held all day. I want to do whatever I can to help him adjust and not be so miserable. I can't remember the last time I got one at this age..they have either come in well over 2 or as newborns. Thanks in advance!
daycare 01:10 PM 09-21-2011
Originally Posted by graham.shellbell:
I have a new little one that started last week..he is a crier. The whole time he is here he cries and cries..he has only been here one full day and one 2 hour day(sickness has swept through here and we are just now getting back to "normal"). I am wondering how long does it usually take a kid to get adjusted to the new setting? I know at his last daycare he cried a lot but it is my understanding the sitter wasn't very patient(but who really knows). The first day here I got him to nap a few times which was more than mom said he ever did at last daycare. He seems to really like my hubby but we have 9 kids to watch so he can't be held all day. I want to do whatever I can to help him adjust and not be so miserable. I can't remember the last time I got one at this age..they have either come in well over 2 or as newborns. Thanks in advance!
how many days a week is he there and for how many hours??
cheerfuldom 01:15 PM 09-21-2011
who said the last sitter "wasn't very patient"? I would imagine that if he was a crier at his last daycare, more than likely nothing is going to change with you unless you have a LOT of patience and time to devote to getting him on a schedule and getting him adjusted. I give a kid 2 weeks (or less) because it is just not fair for me and the other kids to have to be around constant crying.
graham.shellbell 01:50 PM 09-21-2011
He is going to be here Tuesdays and Thursdays for 9 hours or so and Wed and Fridays for about 2 hours. He was only with the last sitter for about a month...before that he was home with dad.
daycare 02:00 PM 09-21-2011
He is going to be here Tuesdays and Thursdays for 9 hours or so and Wed and Fridays for about 2 hours. He was only with the last sitter for about a month...before that he was home with dad.
Consistency is key especially for a little guy his age. Being that he has different hours and days, it could take him longer to adapt. The child needs to know what to expect and with a schedule Like that it could take 21 plus days.
they say it takes 21 days to form a new habit.
Just keep doing the same thing that works for you over and over. No surprise changes and I think he will eventually adjust.
nannyde 02:46 PM 09-21-2011
With that schedule you don't have much of a chance to get him to adjust. It probably won't happen.

You just have two days a week to have him on a routine so he has five days a week to do the schedule he has now.

The two two hour days are just going to end with him having his own adult after two hours so they will be useless for getting him on a routine.

Can they increase his days?

I would want him to have a couple of months of full nine hour days before putting him to a part time schedule.
mismatchedsocks 03:35 PM 09-21-2011
I think it will take him a while to adapt, with a 2 full day schedule and 2 days with a few hours. I like Nanny's suggestion of having him come fulltime for a while to help him adapt faster/better if that is an option!
daycare 03:36 PM 09-21-2011
Or you should require the family to adapt to your scheule and routine when he is not there or tell them he's just never going to adjust
cheerfuldom 07:42 PM 09-21-2011
hope it works out but as you can see from numerous experienced providers, the chances of having a smooth transition are not very good at all. don't feel bad if you are not able to transition the baby at all. I don't think the previous provider giving 1 month transition was "not patient enough". Thats a very reasonable timeframe and a lot of people, like me, wouldn't give even that. I have termed a crier after two days because sometimes you just know that every day will be like that and you just cannot do it.
graham.shellbell 05:13 AM 09-22-2011
Thanks for the input...I will give it my best and see what happens. I want it to work out because I really like this family and have taken care of the older child.. she does really well here. It was the mom who said the other provider wasn't patient but hearing a crying a baby does wear on you. I will see if I can get her on board with our schedule.
Tags:transitioning
Reply Up