Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Please Tell Me I’m Not Being Pushy
dave4him 03:55 PM 08-22-2012
Its so hard for me to be pushy with parents, i know we have to be as daycare workers though. I had to gently remind the parent of the little nine month old that i would at least like her to bring her for four hours a day so i can get paid. She told her her daddy was spending time with her while trying to find a job. I really felt guilty saying something, but i hadnt seen her in two days and she drops the little one by for two hours today. Love the little bundle of cuteness though, the kids love her too.
Countrygal 04:05 PM 08-22-2012
That's why I am gradually switching over to "slots". Haven't had them before, but I can't afford to have someone sign up for 20 hours a week and only bring them 8. AND I can't afford to have them sign up for 20 hours a week and bring them 40. I didn't want to do slots, but I am beginning to think there is no other way any more. People just aren't reliable and don't think of others. *sigh* If they sign up for PT they pay the same amount now no matter. If they go over their allotted hours, they pay more than my regular rate. And vice verse.
daycare 05:07 PM 08-22-2012
Originally Posted by dave4him:
Its so hard for me to be pushy with parents, i know we have to be as daycare workers though. I had to gently remind the parent of the little nine month old that i would at least like her to bring her for four hours a day so i can get paid. She told her her daddy was spending time with her while trying to find a job. I really felt guilty saying something, but i hadnt seen her in two days and she drops the little one by for two hours today. Love the little bundle of cuteness though, the kids love her too.
maybe you can just remind them how hard it is to get a child adjusted to your childcare and acclimated to the group if they do not have consistency. Consistency is key when working with children.
Annalee 07:00 PM 08-22-2012
Originally Posted by Countrygal:
That's why I am gradually switching over to "slots". Haven't had them before, but I can't afford to have someone sign up for 20 hours a week and only bring them 8. AND I can't afford to have them sign up for 20 hours a week and bring them 40. I didn't want to do slots, but I am beginning to think there is no other way any more. People just aren't reliable and don't think of others. *sigh* If they sign up for PT they pay the same amount now no matter. If they go over their allotted hours, they pay more than my regular rate. And vice verse.
This is why I do weekly pay "slots" also, no part-time. Many of my parents are nurses who work three days a week....some of them "set days" but they are bad about trading days at work and needing a different three days for the upcoming week. Paying for the "slot" allows them flexibility and allows me to still accommodate them, granted they keep me posted ahead of time. I have very few days where I am completely full but get paid for the week regardless.
DCMama 10:14 PM 08-22-2012
i really have alot to learn, I have no idea what these slots means. Do you just have them sign up for a certain hours and have to stick by it so that you can serve other children?
mac60 04:16 AM 08-23-2012
You could have a minimum per week, like 3 or 4 days, which would be higher rate per day than a 5 day week.
texascare 06:00 AM 08-23-2012
You could charge by the week or day? I prefer the week so you know what your income is. It means your child has a spot for care. You ar paying for a "spot". If you don't pay you can be replaced.
momofsix 06:28 AM 08-23-2012
Do you need the 4 hour day to get paid by the state?
It's great that baby is spending time with dad, but you do need to get paid too!
(and I wouldn't call it "pushy", I'd just call it standing up for yourself )
Blackcat31 09:48 AM 08-23-2012
Originally Posted by DCMama:
i really have alot to learn, I have no idea what these slots means. Do you just have them sign up for a certain hours and have to stick by it so that you can serve other children?
I am legally allowed to have 12 children. So I have 12 slots (spaces)available. Parents pay for the slot/spaces. How much of that slot/spaces they use or don't use is up to the parents. Either way, they pay for the slot/space.

Like rent on an apartment. You pay your rent monthly, how many days/hours you spend at home in your apartment is up to you.

Same concept.
dave4him 09:54 AM 08-23-2012
There is a part time or full time price with the state. 4 hours or less is part time. So yeah im a little concerned with her consitency. Sure i want the kid to have as much parent time as possible, but i have to look at it both ways. I enjoying having her here, and when i know when kids will be here its easier to plan outings.
Reply Up