Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is Thrush Contagious??
Registered, logged out. 04:56 PM 09-05-2011
Is thrush in toddlers contagious? Can a toddler come back to daycare if they have thrush, but are not on any meds at the moment?

This child shares toys and a lot of time puts them in the mouth. Thanks.
Blackcat31 05:13 PM 09-05-2011
Here's what I found:

http://www.hennepin.us/files/Hennepi...00_s6YEAST.pdf

http://www.hennepin.us/files/Hennepi...t%20parent.pdf

Hope either one of these helps. One is a parent fact sheet and the other is a technical fact sheet.
Unregistered 06:06 PM 09-05-2011
yes its contagious and any child with it should be on some type of antibiotic. I thinkk its fine to return to childcare after being on antibitoics for 24 hrs.
SilverSabre25 07:03 PM 09-05-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
yes its contagious and any child with it should be on some type of antibiotic. I thinkk its fine to return to childcare after being on antibitoics for 24 hrs.
Antibiotics won't do diddly squat for thrush, by the way. Thrush is fungal, not bacterial. It's an overgrowth of yeast.
cheerfuldom 07:39 PM 09-05-2011
Thrush is VERY contagious! It went thru our church nursery twice and through my daycare several times (I have all young ones!). The medication they give to swab DOES help but the child should be kept home until they are on medication for at least 24 hours, preferably 48 (i can't remember what the time frame is on that). Parents need to sanitize all bottles, pacis, bibs, blankets, anything kid has slobbered on. All toys and daycare equipment that baby has used. DCM (if nursing) needs to make sure that she and baby are not passing back and forth and causing an ongoing issue.
SilverSabre25 07:48 PM 09-05-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Thrush is VERY contagious! It went thru our church nursery twice and through my daycare several times (I have all young ones!). The medication they give to swab DOES help but the child should be kept home until they are on medication for at least 24 hours, preferably 48 (i can't remember what the time frame is on that). Parents need to sanitize all bottles, pacis, bibs, blankets, anything kid has slobbered on. All toys and daycare equipment that baby has used. DCM (if nursing) needs to make sure that she and baby are not passing back and forth and causing an ongoing issue.

excellent advice!
blessedmess8 09:46 PM 09-05-2011
The research I've done on it recently was contrary to what I'd always thought. It said it was actually not very contagious. I had a DCB who actually had it for a while and had a hard time getting rid of it, but I didn't exclude him and no one else got it. ??? Maybe it depends on how old the child is and how likely they are to mouth toys or share pacifiers, cups, etc.?
Cat Herder 04:29 AM 09-06-2011
I found this online...it sums it up nicely.

What is thrush?

Thrush is a common illness in the mouth of babies and toddlers caused by the fungus Candida. Adults may
also get thrush. It is seen more often in adults who have diabetes, HIV/AIDS or who have weak immune
systems and who have taken antibiotics.

How do you get thrush?

Candida is normally present in moist body surfaces (intestine, vagina). Thrush occurs when Candida grows
heavily.

How can I tell if my baby has thrush?

Baby will have:
• White or yellow patches that may cover all or part of the tongue, lips and walls of the mouth.
• Flaky or creamy patches that do not wipe off easily.
• Red areas, which may be painful and bleed.

How is thrush diagnosed?

Thrush is usually diagnosed by observation. Sometimes the medical provider may examine the white patches
by looking at a sample of the patches under a microscope.

How is thrush treated?

Your health care provider may prescribe an antifungal medicine. There are now many creams and medicines
to help thrush resolve.

Important Points:

• Use or take medicine as directed.
• Throw away bottle nipples and buy new ones when child’s mouth begins to clear. Fungus can get into
the nipples and cannot be easily removed.
• If breastfeeding, clean the nipple and breast after each feeding to help prevent thrush. If your child does
develop thrush, you may need to apply an antifungal cream to your breast. Ask your health care provider
to prescribe the medicine you need.

Can my child still attend child care with thrush?

Yes. Exclusion from child care is not necessary as long as the child with thrush is comfortable.

Call your child’s health care provider if:

• Your child is not better after seven days.
• Thrush is still present after all the medicine has been used.
• Your child develops a diaper rash along with thrush.
• Your child is having trouble feeding (does not suck well).

For more information call the Guilford County Department of Public Health at ***-7777 or visit

www.guilfordhealth.org

PEC APP 03/11
Facts About Thrush
KEG123 11:46 AM 09-06-2011
I'd require them to stay home until the've been on meds for 24 hours. ESPECIALLY if they are still mouthing toys.
Unregistered 05:55 PM 10-19-2012
that person who wrote that thrush needs an antibiotic knows nothing, its a fungus. It is not contagious unless the person who is receiving it has a weakened immune system. We all have this in our bodies normally, inbalance of the immune system is what causes flare ups.
Tags:contagious, thrush
Reply Up