Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>"I don't get paid until the 10th so..."
Controlled Chaos 08:35 AM 07-06-2015
So I am torn, even though I shouldn't be lol

DCG hasn't been here in over a week. She was staying with Grandpa for a week. Mom pays $400 with subsidy and then a $100 co pay. So I ran the EBT card on the first, paid fine, great. I text dcm last night to reminder her to bring co pay and more diapers. She replies she can't bring dcg till Friday as she won't have the co pay until then. I am pleased she understands no pay no stay, but I won't have seen this little one in 2 weeks by then and she will be all out of sort. If it weren't for the state pay on time I would be looking to replace, and honestly I probably will start interviewing to replace her, but I dcg has been a good fit and mom has been very respectful and mindful of policies...other than paying me late this month Thoughts?
daycare 08:48 AM 07-06-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
So I am torn, even though I shouldn't be lol

DCG hasn't been here in over a week. She was staying with Grandpa for a week. Mom pays $400 with subsidy and then a $100 co pay. So I ran the EBT card on the first, paid fine, great. I text dcm last night to reminder her to bring co pay and more diapers. She replies she can't bring dcg till Friday as she won't have the co pay until then. I am pleased she understands no pay no stay, but I won't have seen this little one in 2 weeks by then and she will be all out of sort. If it weren't for the state pay on time I would be looking to replace, and honestly I probably will start interviewing to replace her, but I dcg has been a good fit and mom has been very respectful and mindful of policies...other than paying me late this month Thoughts?
can you charge late fees??
Leigh 08:54 AM 07-06-2015
You just have to follow your gut. If you truly trust that mom will come through with the money, you COULD make an exception to your rule and let the child come trusting that mom will come up with the money (a post-dated check for security?). I've worked with a few parents that I trusted with payment, and those parents have been grateful and have not stiffed me yet. If you can get paid from the state for 80% of the hours, you're not taking much of a risk anyway.

If it were me, and it was someone I trusted, liked, and didn't want to lose, I'd take the 80% guaranteed pay and let the child come, and ask Mom for a post-dated check or a signed agreement to pay.
Controlled Chaos 01:01 PM 07-06-2015
Originally Posted by Leigh:
You just have to follow your gut. If you truly trust that mom will come through with the money, you COULD make an exception to your rule and let the child come trusting that mom will come up with the money (a post-dated check for security?). I've worked with a few parents that I trusted with payment, and those parents have been grateful and have not stiffed me yet. If you can get paid from the state for 80% of the hours, you're not taking much of a risk anyway.

If it were me, and it was someone I trusted, liked, and didn't want to lose, I'd take the 80% guaranteed pay and let the child come, and ask Mom for a post-dated check or a signed agreement to pay.
I hadn't even thought of the post dated check. I texted her this morning and offered that as an option and she can bring dcg tomorrow. I think I will interview for a replacement just in case, I won't tolerate it as a habit, and I will let dcm know, but I really like this family. DCG is a good fit here.
Thriftylady 01:20 PM 07-06-2015
I might allow it once. Then I would say "well then I can't provide care until the 10th". I mean sometimes things happens, but they know that to work they need daycare.
Leigh 01:23 PM 07-06-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I might allow it once. Then I would say "well then I can't provide care until the 10th". I mean sometimes things happens, but they know that to work they need daycare.
They do know that, but I find that at MY house, money can get tight around holidays. Travel costs, gifts, entertaining relatives, buying fireworks for the kids-whatever. It's not just Christmas that can get expensive, and I tend to be more understanding around holidays.
Thriftylady 03:12 PM 07-06-2015
They do know that, but I find that at MY house, money can get tight around holidays. Travel costs, gifts, entertaining relatives, buying fireworks for the kids-whatever. It's not just Christmas that can get expensive, and I tend to be more understanding around holidays.
I used to be more understanding then, but now I think "it is also harder for me, why must it be harder for me when they are not paying me?". I guess I just see it different now. I need to care for my family, I can't afford to finance yours. If I don't have money, we go without why can't everyone else? I mean I need parts for my van from where I hit a deer. No money, no parts. So I guess they should be the same.
Josiegirl 04:57 PM 07-06-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I used to be more understanding then, but now I think "it is also harder for me, why must it be harder for me when they are not paying me?". I guess I just see it different now. I need to care for my family, I can't afford to finance yours. If I don't have money, we go without why can't everyone else? I mean I need parts for my van from where I hit a deer. No money, no parts. So I guess they should be the same.
I see both sides and can be very forgiving. I would certainly be more understanding at Christmastime, of course wanting their kids to have gifts under the tree. BUT I do have to disagree with you for expenditures for 4th of July. Fireworks for their kids does not trump daycare expense. Not even travel expenses should, lots of things to do that are cheap/free. It's all about priorities. $1300 dental bills last week trumped any vacation for me, priorities. You need to be paid too. Just like car loans, insurance, electric and heat, etc.
Now with all that said, I'd probably still do what Leigh suggested, if you work well together usually and she's not someone who takes advantage and you love the dck. I'm all for cutting people a break if they don't expect it all the time.
NeedaVaca 05:04 AM 07-07-2015
I would actually be less understanding during the holidays because I need that money for MY family. I use my income to pay for those extra things and if a DCF doesn't pay then it effects my kids and that would make me very upset! I don't care if bills fall during holidays, bills are bills...
Play Care 05:22 AM 07-07-2015
I wouldn't be understanding at all.
I run a business, not a charity.
While I enjoy what I do, I don't enjoy it enough to do it for free/reduced price.

"Lack of planning on your part does NOT constitute an emergency on my part"

I always try to think of it this way - would I call up the phone company or the cable company and tell them I can't pay the bill due to Christmas/vacation/hemorrhoids ( ), etc. But I still expect to receive the service? Of course not. Now some might point out that those businesses are less "intimate" if you will than what we do. I would be mortified to ask that type of thing from my own kids camp/lessons etc.

Now, have I cut long time, fabulous clients some slack? Sure. After they've proved themselves for years. And it was never due to poor planning on their part.
Leigh 08:13 AM 07-07-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I wouldn't be understanding at all.
I run a business, not a charity.
While I enjoy what I do, I don't enjoy it enough to do it for free/reduced price.

"Lack of planning on your part does NOT constitute an emergency on my part"

I always try to think of it this way - would I call up the phone company or the cable company and tell them I can't pay the bill due to Christmas/vacation/hemorrhoids ( ), etc. But I still expect to receive the service? Of course not. Now some might point out that those businesses are less "intimate" if you will than what we do. I would be mortified to ask that type of thing from my own kids camp/lessons etc.

Now, have I cut long time, fabulous clients some slack? Sure. After they've proved themselves for years. And it was never due to poor planning on their part.
You're so right. I would MUCH rather call the cable company to tell them that I'll be late than someone that I had to see face to face every day! However, not everyone is good at budgeting money, and sometimes they spend more than they plan to. I don't like getting paid late, either, whether I need the money or not, but there are certain families that I am more willing to give leeway to. I have a mom whose hours were cut at work (worried about getting laid off). They have a "surprise" baby that they didn't plan, and really couldn't afford. I understand when she has to pay late (3 times in 2 years). The mom who brags on Facebook about the $600 concert tickets that she just bought doesn't get the same understanding. I know that she has something she could sell to pay me!
Controlled Chaos 08:59 AM 07-07-2015
I dont think her inability to pay had anything to do with the holidays. I am typically quite strict and she was willingly following my policies. It was more an issue of it was less benificial to enforce the policy as the child would have been away long enough to need lots of retraining upon return. Mom brought post dated check today along with dcg. Check will be deposited on the 10th, but I already have the state subsidy. I feel good about the choice I made. thanks for the feedback
Reply Up