Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Google Docs- Help!
Kindermom 05:34 AM 02-13-2018
I'm trying to send my handbook via Google Docs. I downloaded as PDF, thinking I could copy and paste the link for them to follow and they are saying they can't access it. I am not sure how to share it in a way that they cannot make changes to it.

Can someone walk me through?

Thanks!
Blackcat31 06:06 AM 02-13-2018
Originally Posted by Kindermom:
I'm trying to send my handbook via Google Docs. I downloaded as PDF, thinking I could copy and paste the link for them to follow and they are saying they can't access it. I am not sure how to share it in a way that they cannot make changes to it.

Can someone walk me through?

Thanks!
When you upload files to Google Drive, it gives you the option of allowing anyone with the link, all people on line or just those you "invite" to access the files.

Click the "share" option and look for where it says 'advanced options' or 'advanced settings'. It will allow you to click which option you want for the file.

HTH
Kindermom 06:47 AM 02-13-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
When you upload files to Google Drive, it gives you the option of allowing anyone with the link, all people on line or just those you "invite" to access the files.

Click the "share" option and look for where it says 'advanced options' or 'advanced settings'. It will allow you to click which option you want for the file.

HTH
Yes! Thank you =) (Now, if only I could get read recipets. Am I missing an option for that, or is there not one?)
MarinaVanessa 06:55 AM 02-13-2018
Yes! Thank you =) (Now, if only I could get read recipets. Am I missing an option for that, or is there not one?)
Do you mean like get a notification that tells you when someone has read it on Google docs? It doesn't work that way that I'm aware of because in essence you are simply uploading a file onto the internet and giving someone the link to be able to see it ... like giving someone a website address. You're not sending them the website itself, just directing them to where it is.

If you are talking about the email itself ... as in getting notified that the person read the email that you sent them ... that depends on your email provider. Who do you have for your email? Google I'm assuming?
That's not available on regular gmail accounts, only the G Suite accounts (through work or a school).
Kindermom 12:06 PM 02-13-2018
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Do you mean like get a notification that tells you when someone has read it on Google docs? It doesn't work that way that I'm aware of because in essence you are simply uploading a file onto the internet and giving someone the link to be able to see it ... like giving someone a website address. You're not sending them the website itself, just directing them to where it is.

If you are talking about the email itself ... as in getting notified that the person read the email that you sent them ... that depends on your email provider. Who do you have for your email? Google I'm assuming?
That's not available on regular gmail accounts, only the G Suite accounts (through work or a school).
Yep, I was using Google Drive. I shared my handbook with her (I posted earlier about whether or not to share before meeting) and haven't heard back, so either she didn't get it, got it and was unimpressed, or got it and is going to talk it over/think it over and contact me for an interview. We will see.

I had a phone interview today with someone else and I got a good feel. They are planning on setting up an interview next week after they discuss with DCD. With their schedule, I'd be done by 2:30 some days, and not many people want to start at 6/6:30 those days (but my 2 year old wakes up at 5, no matter what I try- so I might as well make money! ;-) so fingers crossed!
Blackcat31 01:11 PM 02-13-2018
Yep, I was using Google Drive. I shared my handbook with her (I posted earlier about whether or not to share before meeting) and haven't heard back, so either she didn't get it, got it and was unimpressed, or got it and is going to talk it over/think it over and contact me for an interview. We will see.

I had a phone interview today with someone else and I got a good feel. They are planning on setting up an interview next week after they discuss with DCD. With their schedule, I'd be done by 2:30 some days, and not many people want to start at 6/6:30 those days (but my 2 year old wakes up at 5, no matter what I try- so I might as well make money! ;-) so fingers crossed!
In the future when e-mailing the link always include a little blurb about replying...I usually say something like "Here is the link to my handbook. Since technology isn't always reliable will you please let me know if you received the link and were able to access my handbook successfully. If not, I will resend in an alternate format. Thank you!"

That way "most" prospective family's will send a quick "Got it!" reply and I know they atleast got the info and I don't have to stress about it.
Unregistered 01:23 PM 02-14-2018
That is a great idea. Thanks!
Apparently she got it and messaged me this afternoon about how
Many I currently have enrolled. I asked her if she would like to set up an interview and I got "maybe in a couple of weeks. I am just talking to in homes and centers to figure
Out my options."....i can't guarantee I will have a spot and I am not sure why I am annoyed but I am. I kind of want to take back my handbook access! (But is that just me being petty and/or passive aggressive?)
Kindermom 01:24 PM 02-14-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Many I currently have enrolled. I asked her if she would like to set up an interview and I got "maybe in a couple of weeks. I am just talking to in homes and centers to figure
Out my options."....i can't guarantee I will have a spot and I am not sure why I am annoyed but I am. I kind of want to take back my handbook access! (But is that just me being petty and/or passive aggressive?)
And shux, I forgot to log in first!
Blackcat31 06:54 AM 02-15-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Totally understand how you feel. It IS annoying when parents seem wishy-washy about everything...either you need care or you don't.

But I understand they are just checking out their options so I can't really blame them ...it just seems annoying on our end because I think most providers are "doers" and we like to just get things done ASAP and continue onward....

Feeling like that is precisely why I no linger end out my handbook to parents unless I know they are going to be signing on with me. Anything they need to know to make a decision or choice can be found on my website or via an interview/tour. Everything in my handbook is just written info in regards to ALL things discussed prior to the interview/tour and during he interview/tour.

Hoping the family works out for you if you are trying to fill spaces and if not, I hope the right one (family) comes along soon!
Tags:google, google docs
Reply Up