Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Just Starting Out, Nervous About Interviews!
zagbee 06:00 PM 03-06-2014
Hi all! I've been lurking around for quite some time, but this is my first post.

I just had my licensing inspection today and should be officially able to open as of tomorrow. Now that I am set to open, I am getting really nervous about starting interviews. I am so afraid that people are going to tell me how awful my policies are or something. I am particularly worried about my policy stating that payment is due every week whether we are closed, family is absent, etc. Payment is always due. I don't think this is a super crazy thing to ask, but for some reason, I anticipate parents arguing with me.

I guess I am looking for reassurance. How do you stand up for your policies? Do you have parents argue them very often? How do you conduct your interviews? Help?!
TwinKristi 06:15 PM 03-06-2014
I've been in business for about 18mos and have watched 6 different kids and never had anyone question my policies. Not once! It's pretty standard around here and always has been.
It's hard when you're first starting but you gotta fake it til you make it! Be confidant in your policy and contract.
LadyK8 08:26 PM 03-06-2014
We are in the same boat, OP.

I have my first interview on Saturday, and I'm so scared. Lol
daycare 08:42 PM 03-06-2014
You will be fine. Just be yourself and be confident.

One come back about paying for the spot regardless of attendance is comparing it to renting a house/apt. You pay the full rent every month on the first if you stayed all month or 1 day, if you want a home to come home to your full rent is required.

Study your policies have your reasons ready In case they ask why you have adopted this policy, procedure, etc

Be honest about how you will choose your clients. If they are horrible and you don't want them let them know you will contact them to let them know, cut it short.

I always get emails from my prospective clients. I always send a follow up letter. One letter thanking the client and inviting them back or one stating we are not a good fit for each other

If you don't know an answer to something just say let me get back to you on that.

Good luck. You're going to do great.
Blackcat31 06:32 AM 03-07-2014
Originally Posted by zagbee:
Hi all! I've been lurking around for quite some time, but this is my first post.

I just had my licensing inspection today and should be officially able to open as of tomorrow. Now that I am set to open, I am getting really nervous about starting interviews. I am so afraid that people are going to tell me how awful my policies are or something. I am particularly worried about my policy stating that payment is due every week whether we are closed, family is absent, etc. Payment is always due. I don't think this is a super crazy thing to ask, but for some reason, I anticipate parents arguing with me.

I guess I am looking for reassurance. How do you stand up for your policies? Do you have parents argue them very often? How do you conduct your interviews? Help?!
Welcome to the forum!

Interviewing is one of my favorite parts of this job

The best thing you can do to ease your jitters is ALWAYS remember YOU are interviewing the family just as much, if not MORE than they are interviewing you.

While you are speaking to them, ask questions. Ask about parenting philosophies, family routines, goals for their child, etc.

Knowing those things helps you understand and know if a family will be the right fit for your program.

Your goal is to make a good fit.
The family's goal is to see if the services you offer will work for them.

If they ask for something you don't offer, be VERY Careful in instantly agreeing just to get a client..kwim? It's okay to be flexible but letting the parent take the reins and tell you what they want you to do will only create a power struggle later on about WHO actually works for who.

YOU are the boss of your business. Make statements that support that.
Speak your policies as RULES to live by, NOT suggestions that parents should maybe follow if they want.

Stand strong from the beginning and you will NOT regret it.
butterfly 07:57 AM 03-07-2014
I remember being terrified the first few interviews. I was afraid that parents wouldn't like me or my program and I was worried I wouldn't get enough enrolled to survive financially.

It does get easier the more you do it and soon you will realize that if the parents don't like your policies, then you will NOT want that parent in your program anyways.

I would make sure your policies are in place to keep YOU happy. When the right families sign on things will run pretty smoothly. When you start bending your own rules for the families, that's when this job can get miserable.

Congrats on your new beginning! And good luck with your interviews.
TaylorTots 07:58 AM 03-07-2014
daycare is right - confidence is the key.

Prior to every interview, I forward interested parents my handbook and other forms that we will be discussing at the interview. I tell them I expect them to review it prior to the interview. I walk through and explain every policy during an interview. I see it as I am interviewing them - not them interviewing me. I ask questions about their home routine, their child's temperament and previous play experience. When you first start out, you need clients to be able to have a business. But you quickly realize that the wrong clients make it impossible to do your business. If I have a parent argue with me about ANY policy. I state in a matter of fact way "This policy is not negotiable. Any violation of this policy is grounds for termination of care." If I have to say that line more than twice in the interview, the family is probably not going to be a good fit and I tell them just that.
daycare 08:12 AM 03-07-2014
one word of advise.

NEVER and I mean NEVER change your policies to suit one family.

for example. you want to run your business from 730-530, a new client or existing client asks you to drop off at 7am or pick up at 545. DON'T DO IT, REPEAT AFTER ME, DON'T DO IT.....LOL

Same goes with parents asking for a discount, don't do it.

I had to learn the hard way that when you give in to letting them change the rules all kinds of things happen, like

1. you send them the wrong message that they can change your rules/policies
A> they will then start to do this to all of your policies and etc.
2. YOU will grow to resent and regret the idea and family
3. You are working more hours for the same or less money

I am sure there are more, I just need my coffee.....lol

Bottom line, don't do anything that you are not comfortable with. Don't give families the idea they can change your rules/policies/business.

Not too sure if anyone said any of this if they did, sorry....lol

TGIF
zagbee 08:43 AM 03-07-2014
Wow! Thank you for all of the wonderful advice! I feel better already. I'm seriously going to keep coming back and re-reading this thread over and over to pump myself up.
Tags:interviews, interviews - first experience
Reply Up