Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: "Itsy Bitsy" or "Teensy Weensy" ?
Itsy Bitsy 50 96.15%
Teensy Weensy (or Eensy?) 2 3.85%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>OT-For Fun- "Itsy Bitsy" or "Teensy Weensy" ?
mamac 01:32 PM 06-13-2013
What version of the spider song did you grow up with?

(Edit: Not sure if it's Teensy or Eensy but they are both similar so they get the same vote. )
Blackcat31 01:47 PM 06-13-2013
If it's a spider (teensy weensy or itsy bitsy) it better be dead.
crazydaycarelady 02:00 PM 06-13-2013
Itsy Bitsy here!

I prefer my spiders dead also!
MarinaVanessa 02:53 PM 06-13-2013
Itsy bitsy here also.

We don't get many spiders in my home except for daddy long-legs but that's probably because we don't kill the daddy-long legs, they are our friends. All of our daycare kids and our own kids leave them alone because they are used to them. They eat other spiders and insects that we don't like so they are welcome in our home .
mamac 06:48 PM 06-13-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Lol! I'm with you on that one, unfortunately I had to change my attitude towards spiders in order to reassure my youngest ds that "spiders are our friends" because he was overly frightened of them to the point of screaming/crying uncontrollably and holding on to me for dear life. Thankfully my new "no kill" policy has worked and we now catch spiders in our bug jar (ick) and google them to learn all about them. Then we let them go.
mamac 06:50 PM 06-13-2013
Funny how all the votes so far are for itsy-bitsy and yet EVERY kid's cd that I have with that song on it has the teensy-weensy version. Kind of annoying because I don't want my kids learning it that way. I just try to sing really loud to drown out the "wrong" words.
Sunshine74 08:08 PM 06-13-2013
Originally Posted by mamac:
Funny how all the votes so far are for itsy-bitsy and yet EVERY kid's cd that I have with that song on it has the teensy-weensy version. Kind of annoying because I don't want my kids learning it that way. I just try to sing really loud to drown out the "wrong" words.
I've noticed that too, about the CD's. I just thought other people sing it like that. I guess I was wrong (so far).
Play Care 05:43 AM 06-14-2013
My understanding is that if you are from the US, it's "itsy bitsy" If you are from Great Britain/Canada it's "teensey weensy."

So itsy bitsy here
jessrlee 06:18 AM 06-14-2013
I'm the eensy weensy gal. Sorry that's how I learned!
daycaremum 11:05 AM 06-14-2013
Well, I'm in Canada and we sing the Itsy Bitsy spider. Second verse in a high pitch voice and little hand actions is Eensie Weensie, and third verse is GREAT BIG in a booming deep voice with exaggerated hand actions.
melilley 11:08 AM 06-14-2013
Itsy Bitsy here!
MarinaVanessa 11:22 AM 06-14-2013
I tell the kids that the singer "messed up"
AmyKidsCo 02:21 PM 06-14-2013
Spiders are fine with me but moths give me the heebie jeebies!
Lucy 08:01 PM 06-14-2013
Originally Posted by jessrlee:
I'm the eensy weensy gal. Sorry that's how I learned!
And I'm the other one. I grew up with the eensy weensy version, but ALL the kids I've watched over 19 years have said itsy bitsy.
Starburst 12:28 PM 06-15-2013
We always did it "Itsy Bitsy", It always bugged me when people said it "Eency Weensy". "Teency Weensy" is worse!
blandino 12:56 PM 06-15-2013
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Spiders are fine with me but moths give me the heebie jeebies!
For me it's grasshoppers.
BumbleBee 05:20 PM 06-15-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

You'd hate my house then! Every June we have jumping spiders everywhere. We watched one catch a daddy long legs spider the other day. It was quite educational.

The kids catch the jumping spiders and take them outside to release them.
mamac 05:35 PM 06-15-2013
Originally Posted by Trummynme:
You'd hate my house then! Every June we have jumping spiders everywhere. We watched one catch a daddy long legs spider the other day. It was quite educational.

After coming across a very large black jumping spider in my living room and having to abide by my "spiders are our friends" policy, I found out that jumping spiders rarely bite people (unless held too tightly) and can actually be prompted to jump from hand to hand. I didn't have it in me to try though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSV_ti6ll2c
BumbleBee 06:23 PM 06-15-2013
After coming across a very large black jumping spider in my living room and having to abide by my "spiders are our friends" policy, I found out that jumping spiders rarely bite people (unless held too tightly) and can actually be prompted to jump from hand to hand. I didn't have it in me to try though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSV_ti6ll2c
Cool! Our jumping spiders can fit on a penny - not very big at all.

I will admit, anything that looks remotely like a brown recluse gets squashed immediately. Basically if it's brown it's dead.
luv2teach 06:45 PM 06-15-2013
itsy bitsy here
Childminder 07:45 PM 06-15-2013
Another curious soul found the following Google data 5 years ago:

* itsy bitsy spider - 6,890 hits
* eensy weensy spider - 838 hits
* eency weency spider - 489 hits
* itty bitty spider - 478 hits
* eentsy weentsy spider - 238 hits
* incy wincy spider - 233 hits

and

incy wincy spider - British E
itsy bitsy spider - American E
eensy weensy spider - AmericanE
itty bitty spider - American E
eentsy weentsy spider ?
L'araignée Gipsy - French
Cicci Ricci Ragno - Italian
Lille Peter edderkop - Danish
Hanse-panse-kevertje - Dutch
Hämä-hämähäkki kiipes langalle - Finnish
Die kribbel-krabbel Spinne - German
Minimus araneus compluvium ascendit - Latin!
Lilla Petter Edderkopp - Norwegian
Imse vimse spindel - Swedish
Itzi, bitzi araña - Spanish
Blackcat31 07:37 AM 06-16-2013
Originally Posted by Trummynme:

Nope.
No thanks.
Uh Huh!
No way!
Not me.

I HATE spiders.

Daddy Long-legs are the ONLY ones I really don't mind.

They don't creep me out and we don't kill them here because then it will rain and we've had enough of that lately.
GoodKarma 04:36 AM 06-17-2013
Itsy bitsy. I seem to be in the majority . It's interesting how popular this song is and how unpopular spiders are!
originalkat 05:38 AM 06-17-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Itsy bitsy here also.

We don't get many spiders in my home except for daddy long-legs but that's probably because we don't kill the daddy-long legs, they are our friends. All of our daycare kids and our own kids leave them alone because they are used to them. They eat other spiders and insects that we don't like so they are welcome in our home .
Us too!
daycarediva 09:45 AM 06-17-2013
Itsy Bitsy.

And, while I am not super fond of spiders, we don't kill anything in my house. Bugs are gently caught and released.
Tags:rhymes, songs
Reply Up