Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Always Amazes Me.....
Ms.Kay 05:54 AM 01-21-2019
We are in blizzard white out conditions..4 families kids are here...and I watched 2 parents drive back home...another is home with thee 14 yr.old...because the 2.5 yr old is just too much...just a vent...these poor kids...it's heartbreaking
rosieteddy 05:58 AM 01-21-2019
That's exactly the reason I started following the school closings.If like today there was a holiday -first I would have closed (schools closed)second I would have called it ahead of time.Its ridiculous parents are home but can't be bothered.All these days were paid to.I realized a long time ago if we opened they would come.
Annalee 06:28 AM 01-21-2019
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
That's exactly the reason I started following the school closings.If like today there was a holiday -first I would have closed (schools closed)second I would have called it ahead of time.Its ridiculous parents are home but can't be bothered.All these days were paid to.I realized a long time ago if we opened they would come.
Me, too. Instead of letting it make me angry, I began following school schedule, too. Makes me feel so much better and I also get paid 52 weeks a year so no money loss
Blackcat31 06:42 AM 01-21-2019
I don't allow parents to bring their children in blizzard like conditions if they aren't working or school is cancelled.

Other than that, I don't care but when the whether makes it difficult to travel, I don't want to be stuck here with kids that can't get picked up due to road conditions.

It's not a huge issue here though as that type of weather is more "normal" for us than most areas but there are times where it's bad here too and if parents don't use common sense, then I have to make the choice for them sometimes.
amberrose3dg 06:48 AM 01-21-2019
Originally Posted by Ms.Kay:
We are in blizzard white out conditions..4 families kids are here...and I watched 2 parents drive back home...another is home with thee 14 yr.old...because the 2.5 yr old is just too much...just a vent...these poor kids...it's heartbreaking
Same here. I am not open during bad weather if school is closed. I have found that parents will bring the kids if they can get there. Coming back is another story. Good luck hope they can make it back for their kids!
CountryRoads 10:18 AM 01-21-2019
I have a dcm that isn't working today, but still dropped off her 2 kids at the same time when she does work and told them "I'll be back at 5 to pick you guys up."

I hate it when parents do that. I don't say anything since they pay for the day regardless so it's their right, I just quietly judge them in my head lol I LOVE spending days with just my boys, so I'll never understand. Also, do you think these parents would be understanding if you took a day off to have to yourself? I highly doubt it.

And we are under a winter storm warning and she told me she was going out of town today. She better make it back in time.
Ariana 10:26 AM 01-21-2019
I had this happen a few years ago. Mom couldn’t even drive up my street, so she parked and carried her 2 year old while she had her 6 month old strapped to her in waist high snow to get to my house! She was not working, she was on maternity leave! I thought it was pretty hilarious that she would go to such lengths to get away from him

My kids are home with me today, there is an extreme cold warning. School is open and busses are running but I just want them home with me
littlefriends 10:48 AM 01-21-2019
How do you guys get through the lying parents in this subject? Like if you don’t allow parents to drop off if they aren’t working do you state that in your policies and then how can you tell if they’re lying? I look at it like I guess if they’re paying for the day regardless and are that willing and desperate to get rid of their kid(s) then whatever but I definitely get irritated when I know they’re just going back home or going shopping all day. And knowing that the weather could possibly cause them to be late to pick up...
Blackcat31 11:21 AM 01-21-2019
Originally Posted by littlefriends:
How do you guys get through the lying parents in this subject? Like if you don’t allow parents to drop off if they aren’t working do you state that in your policies and then how can you tell if they’re lying? I look at it like I guess if they’re paying for the day regardless and are that willing and desperate to get rid of their kid(s) then whatever but I definitely get irritated when I know they’re just going back home or going shopping all day. And knowing that the weather could possibly cause them to be late to pick up...
If I am open and parents pay for their own child care costs, I don't care if they are going back home. However there are times in which due to weather I need to say no. Depending on the parent. Only because why put your child at risk just to go back home so someone has to be the responsible one...lol!

I don't really have parents that I think would outright lie but if I did, I'd call them out on it. I stress often to them the importance of being truthful in our working relationship.

As for late pick up, don't. NO MATTER the weather.
I expect parents to adjust their driving times to pick up on time. If not, then they lose the option of using care when off work.
Tags:blizzard, vent, winter weather
Reply Up