Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nap HELP!!
bluemoose_mom 12:28 PM 06-19-2012
Here is my floor plan. I have three bedrooms (my and my DH bedroom, DD's bedroom, office), bathroom, living room, kitchen upstairs. The stairs lead downstairs, with no door on them so all noises go downstairs.

Downstairs I have one bedroom, and a large family room (that is where my daycare space is). The bedroom is supposed to be my nap room BUT...

I have a DCG, eight months, whose sleeping schedule is all over the place. She doesn't nap at the same time or the same length of nap. She will often wake up, talk for a couple of minutes, and fall back asleep. Having all three daycare kids sleep together doesn't work (8 months, 1.5, and 3.5), they wake each other up. I have the room set aside for the eight month old, and the other kids sleep out in the daycare space.

Problem is, my own child, 2.5, old doesn't nap. I try to keep her quiet, she's usually fairly quiet but it's not working. Today the eight month old was awake as well, as only took a 40 minute afternoon nap.My other kids are only sleeping for barely 1.5 hours, today it was an hour. I'm not getting a break. I barely have time to clean up lunch. On top of this, I have to keep my own child out of my DH's hair, as he works from home.

Oh I can put her in our bedroom...but I really don't want to (one more space that I have to keep presentable at all times) and DH doesn't get up until 9 am, as that's when he starts work. Often times, the eight month old naps before 9.

Any suggestions??? Help please.
Lilbutterflie 12:45 PM 06-19-2012
Naptime has been one of my most difficult struggles, too. I hope others chime in, but if they don't please check out the other threads about napping.

Have you tried white noise? A box fan, white noise machine, or some even use stories on CD. Try to get the 8 month old at least at the same afternoon nap with the rest of the kids. As for your own that doesn't nap, make him stay on his nap mat or cot and give him quiet activities like books, puzzles, maybe even purchase a "quiet book". The white noise also helps drown out any noises he might make, too.

Also, what is your routine before nap? We try to get lots of outdoor play during the morning hours (usually a nice long walk to the park); eat lunch, short clean up time, story time and nap.
bluemoose_mom 01:03 PM 06-19-2012
Thank you for responding!

I have soft music playing in the nap room, and in my DD's room.

Sometimes the eight month old will nap at the same time, but sharing the bedroom doesn't work as she will often wake up at least once, talk to herself for 5 minutes, then fall back asleep. She's my crier, so keeping her up doesn't work very well, for everyone involved.

I don't have a mat for my DD, if she needs a nap she goes in her crib upstairs. Quiet time in her crib sometimes happens, but it's not very quiet, and it's right above the nap room downstairs.

Our routine is very close to yours, we don't do walks as I don't have a double stroller yet, but we go outside for a half hour to an hour, depending on the baby's schedule. She eats at random times, along with sleeping, so that can limit our outside time.
Lilbutterflie 01:17 PM 06-19-2012
Originally Posted by bluemoose_mom:
Thank you for responding!

I have soft music playing in the nap room, and in my DD's room.

Sometimes the eight month old will nap at the same time, but sharing the bedroom doesn't work as she will often wake up at least once, talk to herself for 5 minutes, then fall back asleep. She's my crier, so keeping her up doesn't work very well, for everyone involved.

I don't have a mat for my DD, if she needs a nap she goes in her crib upstairs. Quiet time in her crib sometimes happens, but it's not very quiet, and it's right above the nap room downstairs.

Our routine is very close to yours, we don't do walks as I don't have a double stroller yet, but we go outside for a half hour to an hour, depending on the baby's schedule. She eats at random times, along with sleeping, so that can limit our outside time.
I would definitely try a box fan for the downstairs, especially since it's summer! It really works wonders! It will be loud enough to drown out your DD upstairs & the 8 month old in the bedroom. Things will get easier the older the baby gets, too. Now that my kiddos are all 18 months and up; we have the freedom to stay outdoors in the morning for 2+ hours as long as it's not too hot!! That does wonders for naps, too!
pootmcgoot 01:19 PM 06-19-2012
Can you sleep train her to associate white noise with sleep? It's helped us tons, not just dcb but DD too.
Heidi 01:28 PM 06-19-2012
I do the white noise, and I do think at 8 months, you could start easing the 8 mo into a schedule. Try shortening morning naps to 45 minutes or so, and that may stretch out the afternoon nap. I would put her down when the other go down, and let her play or fuss or whatever she does, but she can start to learn that nap time is nap time.

As for you daughter, mine started to grow out of napping at that age, but they stayed in their room and played relatively quietly. I'd have to remind them occasionally, but not too often. I closed the curtains as well. Sometimes, they crawled into bed on their own after a while.

Being up and awake was a privilege...so if they wanted to keep it (vs. napping with the dc kids), they needed to show me they could stay quiet. You could set up an alarm clock, and tell her QUIET time is over when the song comes on.
cheerfuldom 01:43 PM 06-19-2012
great suggestions from everyone....

is the baby there at the same times every day? if so, pick a schedule for her and stick with. no more random naps and feedings, she eats and naps when you say. do not let one childs randomness get in the way of your outdoor time and other activities. put her down for a nap and leave her there, even if she is awake, for the whole time. the older kids can all learn to lay quietly even if they are not sleeping....same goes for your own daughter in my opinion. I know it is hard but I think a lot of this will change when you tighten up your schedule and requirements for the kids. plus the additional of white noise. We do fans or CD players in each room. The CDs dont play soft music. Its usually the sound of a washer or dryer. Dont be afraid to turn it up, the kids will learn to sleep through it.
Tags:floor plan, nap - disruptions, trouble - sleeping
Reply Up