Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Should I Tell Her To Keep Him Home?
KDC 06:25 AM 07-26-2013
I have a 17 month DCB who's had a nasty cold the past week. She sends me a text today "Hi taking DCB to the doctors this morning. They think he has a sinus infection. Will drop him off after."

He doesn't come on Thursdays, but he woke up from nap time on Wednesday with his eye glued shut with boogers.

Should I just reply that he's probably too sick for daycare?
Familycare71 06:29 AM 07-26-2013
I would just say: due to the fact that dcb had goopy eyes and now has come down with other symptoms I will need a dr note stating he is not contagious and is fit for dc. Also I would like to remind you dcb needs to be fever free w o medication and able to participate fully in activities in order to attend regardless of a dr note.
Blackcat31 06:52 AM 07-26-2013
If a child is ill enough to warrant a doctor's visit, he would be excluded from care.
Familycare71 06:53 AM 07-26-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
If a child is ill enough to warrant a doctor's visit, he would be excluded from care.
I don't exclude for ear infections unless they are miserable ...
CedarCreek 07:03 AM 07-26-2013
Originally Posted by Christie71:
Ear infections usually come with fever. Do you not exclude for that?
Blackcat31 07:38 AM 07-26-2013
Originally Posted by Christie71:
But OP said sinus infection.... that could be contagious depending..

As for ear infections, I don't exclude for that either unless accompanied by a fever.

However, if a child is feeling bad enough due to whatever ailment they have that a doctor's visit is needed, I wouldn't allow the parent to bring them to care afterwards...they need to go home and rest.
daycare 07:44 AM 07-26-2013
I would text her back and say...... Hopefully DCK is in a much better state than Wednesday. IF not, please be sure to keep him home today after his appointment. Also, please don't forget that if he should be prescribed any medications that you will need for me to administer, I will need a doctors diagnosis with treatment plan. I hope that all goes well and that DCK starts feeling better.......
NeedaVaca 08:24 AM 07-26-2013
This is what I do, if they are sick enough that they are going to the Dr. they need to stay home.
KDC 09:18 AM 07-26-2013
He's here. He's my only DCK today, and I said upon arrival that if he's irritable at all I will call her for a pick-up. This is a cold that has cycled through the daycare and I've done nothing but clean, and then clean some more. I'm hoping this is the last of it.

They took him to the Dr. then grabbed the antibiotics for an ear/sinus infection. He's doing surprisingly good, even with a ruined morning nap. I'm hoping to feed him and have him take a good nap.

If he doesn't take a normal nap, or is excessively clingy I will call Mom for a pick up.

Thanks for your help ladies. I was trying to weigh out if I was just being selfish (wanting to spend the day with just my family, vs. caring for a cranky infant all day due to illness) I chose to care for him, but if he needs Mom, I'll call. There are no other kids that I need to protect as my kids had this same cold (just a lighter version as they're older and used to the germs, lol!)
Unregistered 01:05 PM 07-26-2013
Children should be on an antibiotic for at least 24 hours to cut the risk of exposure.He should have stayed home. Do you have an illness policy? There are alot of providers on here that would be more than happy to send you their policy.
daycare 01:08 PM 07-26-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Children should be on an antibiotic for at least 24 hours to cut the risk of exposure.He should have stayed home. Do you have an illness policy? There are alot of providers on here that would be more than happy to send you their policy.
Very true plus the possibilities of an allergic reaction. I forgot about that.
I have in my policies that the child must be on antibiotics for a full 24 hours before they can return to care.
Familycare71 01:19 PM 07-26-2013
Originally Posted by KDC:
He's here. He's my only DCK today, and I said upon arrival that if he's irritable at all I will call her for a pick-up. This is a cold that has cycled through the daycare and I've done nothing but clean, and then clean some more. I'm hoping this is the last of it.

They took him to the Dr. then grabbed the antibiotics for an ear/sinus infection. He's doing surprisingly good, even with a ruined morning nap. I'm hoping to feed him and have him take a good nap.

If he doesn't take a normal nap, or is excessively clingy I will call Mom for a pick up.

Thanks for your help ladies. I was trying to weigh out if I was just being selfish (wanting to spend the day with just my family, vs. caring for a cranky infant all day due to illness) I chose to care for him, but if he needs Mom, I'll call. There are no other kids that I need to protect as my kids had this same cold (just a lighter version as they're older and used to the germs, lol!)
This is what I probably would have done. Given the circumstances.

I have had very few dck (including my own) run a fever for ear inf. I know some do... Yes I would exclude for the fever.
Familycare71 01:22 PM 07-26-2013
But OP said sinus infection.... that could be contagious depending..

As for ear infections, I don't exclude for that either unless accompanied by a fever.

However, if a child is feeling bad enough due to whatever ailment they have that a doctor's visit is needed, I wouldn't allow the parent to bring them to care afterwards...they need to go home and rest.
I hear what you are saying...
Yes- that is why I suggested a dr note for contagiousness.
Overall exclusion would have depended on diagnosis and reason for bringing to the dr for ME tho.
Tags:sick policy, sinus infection
Reply Up