Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Diaper Rash
My Lil' Monkeys 12:48 PM 08-08-2011
I have a daycare child who is 18 months who seems like has diaper rash almost every week. If this child is not changed as soon as this child goes poop then the child breaks out immediately. I'm not joking. Today, this child came with a small redness and then goes poop during nap. This child sleeps in a pack n play in a room... so I check every 15 mins max on the child but sure enough child was sleeping at 2:40 and when checked on at 2:55 the child had gone potty. I immediately changed the child and sure enough the child's behind is red and broke out. I've coated the bottom with A&D and Aquaphor (sp?).

I normally only have this child 2 -3 days a week... but now this week the child goes full time... I don't know what to do... I feel like I have to follow the child all day checking the diaper because I'm afraid that the child will go and I won't be there to change immediately.

Has anyone had this problem? What can I do to help the child? I'm really afraid the parents will pull the child because they feel like I don't change to often... but I change consistently!!
JaydensMommy 12:57 PM 08-08-2011
Originally Posted by My Lil' Monkeys:
I have a daycare child who is 18 months who seems like has diaper rash almost every week. If this child is not changed as soon as this child goes poop then the child breaks out immediately. I'm not joking. Today, this child came with a small redness and then goes poop during nap. This child sleeps in a pack n play in a room... so I check every 15 mins max on the child but sure enough child was sleeping at 2:40 and when checked on at 2:55 the child had gone potty. I immediately changed the child and sure enough the child's behind is red and broke out. I've coated the bottom with A&D and Aquaphor (sp?).

I normally only have this child 2 -3 days a week... but now this week the child goes full time... I don't know what to do... I feel like I have to follow the child all day checking the diaper because I'm afraid that the child will go and I won't be there to change immediately.

Has anyone had this problem? What can I do to help the child? I'm really afraid the parents will pull the child because they feel like I don't change to often... but I change consistently!!
I have dealt with this and it's horrible when it happens. At first the dcm did not tell me about it and when it happened, I felt so bad for not changing him sooner. Then she told he had very sensitive skin and prone to diaper rashes. I changed this boy as much as I could to avoid it. And when it did happen, I put aquaphor on it and mom was pretty understanding.
GotKids 01:11 PM 08-08-2011
other than frequent changes and preventative methods there really isn't much else you can do. I had one that would do this. It was horrible I would spend all week changing every hour letting her air dry for 20 minutes and even bathed her in baking soda 2 a day to help. By Friday she was doing better but come monday she would have a bleeding bottom again. I had to play with different diaper creams until I found the combo that worked well on her. I would have to use viseline on her as a preventative because everything else rubbed off or washed off too easily and either destin max or Butt Aid (dollar tree) when it got red.
wdmmom 01:18 PM 08-08-2011
Are you certain it's a diaper rash and not a yeast infection?! I, too, had a child that was prone to diaper rash. Come to find out that it wasn't diaper rash at all. It was a reoccuring yeast infection that got inflamed each and every time the child went to the bathroom.
Meeko 01:23 PM 08-08-2011
I lotion and powder every little bum every single time. I think it helps prevent.
My Lil' Monkeys 01:26 PM 08-08-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
Are you certain it's a diaper rash and not a yeast infection?! I, too, had a child that was prone to diaper rash. Come to find out that it wasn't diaper rash at all. It was a reoccuring yeast infection that got inflamed each and every time the child went to the bathroom.
I haven't thought of that but I'll bring it up to Mom today at pick-up. Thank You
My Lil' Monkeys 01:28 PM 08-08-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
I lotion and powder every little bum every single time. I think it helps prevent.
The child's parent says that the child has a reaction to Desitin and I've never seen powder on the child. I would be afraid if I add powder it might make it worse. Maybe not?
My Lil' Monkeys 01:31 PM 08-08-2011
Originally Posted by GotKids:
other than frequent changes and preventative methods there really isn't much else you can do. I had one that would do this. It was horrible I would spend all week changing every hour letting her air dry for 20 minutes and even bathed her in baking soda 2 a day to help. By Friday she was doing better but come monday she would have a bleeding bottom again. I had to play with different diaper creams until I found the combo that worked well on her. I would have to use viseline on her as a preventative because everything else rubbed off or washed off too easily and either destin max or Butt Aid (dollar tree) when it got red.
I let the child go free this afternoon so that the rash would get air. My doctor told me when my oldest was little to use a blow dryer on cold on low to dry it out -- I've done it on this child to try and help. I like the baking soda idea... Thank You
SilverSabre25 03:42 PM 08-08-2011
Sounds like a food allergy to me...
cheerfuldom 06:22 PM 08-08-2011
I agree on the food allergy. My middle daughter is exactly like this and she is lactose intolerant, meaning that her poo (when she drinks milk) is too acidic and really does burn her rear. Now that she is on lactose free milk and minimal dairy in other forms, her stools are normal.
Kaddidle Care 07:19 PM 08-08-2011
I triple that about the food allergy/reaction.

My son got so red and raw that the Dr. tested him for strep down there!

Turns out it was from him eating Pepperoni. It would happen after we'd go to a party and there was usually a platter of cheese and pepperoni which he loved.

Once I avoided the offending food, no more problems. (and he outgrew it - he can eat pepperoni now)

Also - for the rash - balmex is much easier going on than Desitin. (And doesn't have that horrible smell either)
MsMe 08:26 AM 08-09-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
It is worth a look into this...it has happened here too! Hope you get it figured out
Abigail 09:48 AM 08-09-2011
For those who put creams/powders on the child, do you ask the parents first? I've never used creams or powders, yet we have one of each in our daycare changing table drawer. Other caregivers I work with put them on some kids, but I prefer not too since I've never personally asked. We have one two year old who has a bloody looking butt half the week and he cries and walks funny after changing him and putting a diaper on him. I feel so bad, but nothing I can really do. Other providers think it's because he is in Target brand diapers so I'm not sure.
AnneCordelia 09:54 AM 08-09-2011
I've had the same issue with yeast rashes on my own infant son.

I use canesten cream (antifungal) twice a day and it clears up quickly, when it's my own baby.
Country Kids 10:03 AM 08-09-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
For those who put creams/powders on the child, do you ask the parents first? I've never used creams or powders, yet we have one of each in our daycare changing table drawer. Other caregivers I work with put them on some kids, but I prefer not too since I've never personally asked. We have one two year old who has a bloody looking butt half the week and he cries and walks funny after changing him and putting a diaper on him. I feel so bad, but nothing I can really do. Other providers think it's because he is in Target brand diapers so I'm not sure.
If you work in a center you should check and see if there is a form that the parents have signed giving you permission to put it on their child. If it is in there by all means use them if it gives the child some comfort. If there isn't one in there ask the director if she can have the parents sign something so that you can use them.
Unregistered 11:51 AM 08-09-2011
Does your diaper rash child drink/ eat a lot of citrus? oranges/ orange juice? That can really tear there bottoms up! A&D is the best or Boudroxs butt paste (sp?) Good luck!
Tags:diaper rash, diaper rash remedy
Reply Up