Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is Anyone Attending College?
cherryhill 05:02 AM 01-28-2011
If so, what are you studying? Is this for your current profession or to leave Child care?

How long have you been taking classes? How much longer do you have before you graduate?
Is it traditional or online?
I am going for Elementary Education with a minor in Early Childhood Education.
I have been taking classes for two years this May and will start my student teaching in 2012 but graduate in 2013. I take classes online at Grand Cayon University . My Early childhood units I take at my local JC.
MissAnn 05:15 AM 01-28-2011
Originally Posted by cherryhill:
If so, what are you studying? Is this for your current profession or to leave Child care?

How long have you been taking classes? How much longer do you have before you graduate?
I have been taking classes for two years this May and will start my student teaching in 2012 but graduate in 2013. I take classes online at Grand Cayon University . My Early childhood units I take at my local JC.
I will graduate in May with an associate's in ECED. It has taken me 5 years! Not sure if I will go further....I'll be 52 when I graduate.
DCMomOf3 05:21 AM 01-28-2011
I've recently applied to study communicative disorders. I quit a few years ago and am going back. It will be the traditional full-time schedule so i think most likely 3 years for my degree.
melskids 05:43 AM 01-28-2011
i'm getting ready to begin my CDA. not really college, but its a start
Blackcat31 06:36 AM 01-28-2011

I am in my 3rd year of college to earn my Bachelor's in Early Childhood. I do not plan to leave my child care, just change it up a bit and focus on a more specific age group (i.e. no SA'ers)
Part of my school is traditional where i go to the college and sit through a class and what courses not offerd locally or at times I am available due to still working, I take on-line.
I will hopfully graduate after Spring Semester 2012.....possibly after summer semester....depends on availability of the last remaining classes and when they are offered.
littlesunshinesdaycare 06:47 AM 01-28-2011

I am working on my Bachelors in Elementary Education and plan to get Master in Early Childhood Education. I attend online at Liberty University. I am in my third year and will be finished with my Bachelors May 2012.

I plan to open a Preschool.
AmandasFCC 06:56 AM 01-28-2011
I'm currently doing my ECE diploma through correspondence.
mac60 07:12 AM 01-28-2011
For those who go to college online, can you share the cost a little. I hate trying to find out information from them, they can't just email you and tell you, they have to bug and bug you. Thanks

I went to a community college last year, I have a 1 yr certificate in Office Administration (2005), and was trying to finish an associates in Legal Support. But, was having too much difficulty scheduleing classes in the evenings, classes were cancelled, so I quit, and am takikng an Activity Director Certificate course to be an Activity Director in a nursing home facility. Been interning for the past 4 months.

Have thought about online college, but not sure of the cost.
jen 07:26 AM 01-28-2011
Mac, the costs really, really vary. I attended St. Cloud State University and I believe the credits were around $170 per. In addition there was an online fees. I have found that if you can find an online program at a tradition State college or university, it is somewhat less expensive than attending a private college such as the University of Phoenix Online.

I am planning on starting my Masters program in the fall...the cost of which, including books is around $20,000.

If you are curious about how much you might recieve in Federal or State grants, go ahead and fill out your FAFSA at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

You may well qualifty for grants (free money) or subsidized student loans (no interst while college).
Blackcat31 07:32 AM 01-28-2011
Originally Posted by mac60:
For those who go to college online, can you share the cost a little. I hate trying to find out information from them, they can't just email you and tell you, they have to bug and bug you. Thanks

I went to a community college last year, I have a 1 yr certificate in Office Administration (2005), and was trying to finish an associates in Legal Support. But, was having too much difficulty scheduleing classes in the evenings, classes were cancelled, so I quit, and am takikng an Activity Director Certificate course to be an Activity Director in a nursing home facility. Been interning for the past 4 months.

Have thought about online college, but not sure of the cost.
The classes I take through the college that are on-line cost the same as if I had actually attended the college. I think for one 3 credit class I am taking, I just paid them, $472.02, for that one class. The total bill this semester for 12 credits was $2253.66. This of course includes rediculous fees like parking and activities fees and technology fees and probably even a "no reason at all" fee. Some of the costs and fees they add on make me laugh because last semester I was totally on-line ONLY and never even stepped foot on the campus yet I still had to pay the parking fee?!?!?

If you visit a college's web-site (atleast in MN) you can view the tuition costs per credit and get a pretty acruate idea of what the fees are and what you will have to pay.
MN Mom 07:42 AM 01-28-2011
I am working towards my AAS in Web Development. I took a 1 year "sabbatical" however due to my own scaredy pants being afraid of my last few classes (logic and reasoning type courses). I recently scheduled an interview with the Art Institute of Minneapolis for their photography program...however, that may entail me moving up to the cities while my kids and husband are down here, and I'm not sure how I feel about that. I love photography, it's always been a hobby. With Web Development and Design, there is more sitting at the computer time than my poor body can handle. I want to be up and moving around and meeting people (and taking their pictures, of course).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57867700@N07/

Here's a link to my photo stream on flickr.com if anyone wants to give me some constructive criticism.
gkids09 12:18 PM 01-28-2011
I am attending Ashford University out of Iowa, and all my classes are online. I am getting my bachelor's degree in Early Childhood Education Administration. The classes are each 5 weeks, and 3 credits. Each class is around $1,000. I have really enjoyed it, but I am so glad I will be done in less than a month.
DCMomOf3 12:24 PM 01-28-2011
Originally Posted by MN Mom:
I am working towards my AAS in Web Development. I took a 1 year "sabbatical" however due to my own scaredy pants being afraid of my last few classes (logic and reasoning type courses). I recently scheduled an interview with the Art Institute of Minneapolis for their photography program...however, that may entail me moving up to the cities while my kids and husband are down here, and I'm not sure how I feel about that. I love photography, it's always been a hobby. With Web Development and Design, there is more sitting at the computer time than my poor body can handle. I want to be up and moving around and meeting people (and taking their pictures, of course).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57867700@N07/

Here's a link to my photo stream on flickr.com if anyone wants to give me some constructive criticism.
have you looked at MCAD? That is another good art school in Minneapolis.
MN Mom 12:54 PM 01-28-2011
Originally Posted by DCMomOf3:
have you looked at MCAD? That is another good art school in Minneapolis.
I have not, but I will. I have a feeling MIoA is going to be beyond my budget =(
MommyMuffin 12:58 PM 01-28-2011
I'm thinking about starting online school in the fall for an AS in legal assistant or paralegal. Not sure if I will or not. Its expensive but I dont want to do nursing anymore and I know I will not do daycare when my kids are in school so I am planning for then.
MissAnn 01:17 PM 01-28-2011
Originally Posted by melskids:
i'm getting ready to begin my CDA. not really college, but its a start
Yes it really is college! I just renewed my CDA....(you have to after 3 years)....and let me tell you this....it was so easy! This one will last 5 years. so worth it! Good luck to you!
snbauser 07:09 PM 01-28-2011
I am working on my AA in ECE through our local community college. I take most of my classes online even though the college is 5 min away because it works with my schedule. I can only handle 2 classes a semester and am still a few years away. The tough part will be when I have to do my internship at another facility. It will take some creative scheduling.
DCMomOf3 07:41 PM 01-28-2011
Originally Posted by MN Mom:
I have not, but I will. I have a feeling MIoA is going to be beyond my budget =(
http://www.mcad.edu/

i don't know if it's really lower but the site says tuition is lower than most for art schools.
childcarebytori 08:28 PM 01-28-2011
First-time poster here, but I thought I'd just jump in.

I am working towards my AA in ECE online through Rasmussen College. I've been at it for almost a year and will complete my degree in September. The cost of tuition I will be paying equals to around $13,000, including the cost of books but not yet excluding the grants I receive for taking 14+ credits a semester ($200 to $500 in grants). I am obtaining by degree to further my knowledge and because daycare parents are always happy to see the actual proof that I am qualified .
QualiTcare 09:45 PM 01-28-2011
I'm working on my BSN in nursing. I have a BS in Early Childhood Development with a teaching license and that took four years. I went to a traditional school, but took some of my general ed. courses online and some evening classes. I stopped doing childcare last year (i never intended it to be a permanent job) and had to take a couple pre-requisites to enter the nursing program this year. The nursing program is accelerated (18 months) since I have a bachelor's and the general ed. courses behind me already. I'll graduate next year and immediately start working bc I got a scholarship through the local hospital.
Blackcat31 06:33 AM 01-30-2011
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
I'm thinking about starting online school in the fall for an AS in legal assistant or paralegal. Not sure if I will or not. Its expensive but I dont want to do nursing anymore and I know I will not do daycare when my kids are in school so I am planning for then.
I went college for this same thing years ago BEFORE I got lost in the childcare field and just wanted to give you a heads up.... the para legal/legal assistant field is ALOT of work! ALOT of reading and researching and writing. I think I lived at our local law library...I was in college full time and had a 3 year old and was pregnant at the time. My DH helped with the kids/house alot too but...if I had to do it again, I wouldn't while my kids were so young... It was just too much. I am also a very motivated person who sleeps VERY little so I was surprised it was so much for me. I am definately NOT trying to discourage you at all because I still LOVE the field, I just wanted to warn you that it is more work than I ever imagined it would be...
VanessaEO 05:13 PM 01-30-2011
I'm in college. Technically right now, I'm still working on my undergrad/core classes. I should have the equivalent of an AS in May.

My current plan is to go into Psych... but I go back and forth between psych and ECE. But I'm not sure I want to be in the childcare industry for a long period of time.

For right now, I'm committed to daycare until my last baby goes to school. And that baby isn't quite conceived yet. LOL
cillybean83 05:20 PM 01-30-2011
i'm back in school getting my bachelor's in early childhood education...and i just BOMBED an art history test....blech!
MarinaVanessa 09:29 AM 01-31-2011
I am. I enrolled in our community college for this spring. I also had the opportunity to receive a stipend if I took Child Development courses so that was nice. I wanted to get my AA in Child Development but I can get my assistant teacher permit and move up the matrix while I do that so why not? Obviously I'm taking child development courses for my current profesion.

I just started this spring and I'm taking one online class because it was the only one that available that worked with my schedule. [/quote]
countrymom 09:33 AM 01-31-2011
anyone in canada doing ece online/correspondance. I want to get my ece but I don't have time for inschooling.
Tags:college, education
Reply Up