Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Much Do You Play With The Kids
jodi 12:16 PM 06-24-2011
On an average day, if you were to add it up, how much time do you think you spend actually playing with the children? Playing make-believe, legos, songs, dancing, ball, etc. How many children are you caring for?

I have 5-6 most days (3 mon, 1 1/2, 2, 2, 3, 3) I find I don't spend much actual play time. Sometimes I feel a bit guilty - but I'm cleaning, cooking, feeding the baby, diapers, meals, naps... it seems like there isn't much time left, and I want them to play with each other, which rarely happens if I am in the fix. What about you?
Cat Herder 12:18 PM 06-24-2011
Oh, no..... I know someone is going to drag that horse carcass in here, again....
momofsix 12:32 PM 06-24-2011
Yes, we've had this "discussion" once before But we have a lot of new people on the forum, so we might get some different answers this time!
Now that it's summertime, my "active" involvement in their play drops significantly. We skip most of our "organized" stuff in the summer and are much more laid back. They do a lot more free play while I am here on daycare.com
For me it also depends on the ages of my kiddos. With younger ones I am doing a lot more "floor time" than with the older kids. They can and need to play with each other without me butting in! I am always right there and available if they need me or want me, just not 'playing".
mac60 12:35 PM 06-24-2011
I can just imagine. Me, I am being paid to care for, feed, make sure they are safe, etc. I am not getting paid to be a play date for the day. I am not a one on one entertainer for 9/10 hours. While I am actively involved from 6:15 to 5:15, I am not their play partner....that is why I have several in my care and not one on one.
AmandasFCC 12:40 PM 06-24-2011
I play if a child is having a morning of separation anxiety. Even then, it's for about 5 minutes, then the other kids come along and play with the sad one. I am not able tos it on the floor to play. They won't let me. Either they tell me they don't want me to play, or they attack me with hugs and I can't move. Either that or my dog gets in the way wanting me to pet her

Like you guys, I am busy organizing crafts, cleaning, doing potty trips, organizing activities, lunches, paperwork ..... They have peers to play with, they don't need or want me
jodi 12:45 PM 06-24-2011
Oops. Hope I didn't start something. Maybe I should find the previous thread.
Cat Herder 12:46 PM 06-24-2011
Originally Posted by jodi:
Oops. Hope I didn't start something. Maybe I should find the previous thread.
I'm just teasing...it was a really fun thread but did get heated. I sent it to you in pm.
Country Kids 12:55 PM 06-24-2011
I will play but not for hours on end. They actually play better with their own age anyway. That is why I'm always confused when people talk about play based programs-I'm not sure what that means. Are they always down playing with the kids, do the kids always have free playtime?
PitterPatter 12:56 PM 06-24-2011
Originally Posted by jodi:
On an average day, if you were to add it up, how much time do you think you spend actually playing with the children? Playing make-believe, legos, songs, dancing, ball, etc. How many children are you caring for?

I have 5-6 most days (3 mon, 1 1/2, 2, 2, 3, 3) I find I don't spend much actual play time. Sometimes I feel a bit guilty - but I'm cleaning, cooking, feeding the baby, diapers, meals, naps... it seems like there isn't much time left, and I want them to play with each other, which rarely happens if I am in the fix. What about you?

I don't have infants so I am available to interact with the kids basically all day. I do cook and change diapers but that doesn't take long for me because I only have 2 in diapers now. I don't do any of my cleaning until after daycare hours. Circle time I am sitting there on the floor interacting and teaching them colors, numbers and of course the songs. For the dances I participate and do the moves as well.

I am always at the table with them when we do crafts, playdoh, moonsand, painting etc. I will do lunch dishes and put the days crafts etc away, when they are napping. They do play alone for the 3 meal preps. I will watch over them and compliment them or redirect them if need be but I don't join in during meal prep.

When we go outside I push them on swings or sit by the sandbox and help sift and teach them how to build with wet sand. Toss the balls etc. If it's a hot day I will get the buckets and spraying toys out or fill up the baby pool. They may play alone for a bit while I sit there and watch but other times I get the hose after them and join in the fun. We also us the parachute with balls and being most of my kids are preschoolers they need help there too so again I participate. We go for walks together or to the playground again I assist because there are usually older kids around them and not being careful.

When we have a quiet coloring or reading time I will have the kids take turns sitting on the sofa with me so I can give them each 1 on 1 attention in areas they may need extra help like colors, numbers, shapes, drawing etc. That way the rest of the group doesnt get bored.

Oh the Lego building I will sit down on the floor and help for a bit then I back off and let them use their own imagination and admire what they build. I will use that time to do lesson plans, grocery lists or paper work.

I wish I could clean or do laundry during daycare hours but I too feel guilty taking away from time with the children. Plus 1 of them is very mischievious and needs constant attention. I had 4 kids including my own and was open 8 am to 6:30 pm until recently. I just termed a child and changed my hours too because I had no time for my son. Now I have a lot more time to get the cleaning done and spend time with him. I now close at 5:00 and it's shocking what a dif 1 and 1/2 hrs can make! I am not up cleaning late at night anymore!

U probably spend more time with them than u think if u sit and think about it.
dEHmom 12:59 PM 06-24-2011
I couldn't even estimate how much time I spend ACTUALLY playing. I am constantly involved with everything they do, but I am usually either on daycare.com, cleaning, cooking, diapering and all the other fun stuff.

When a child wants me to play then I stop whatever I am doing and spend some time with them. I read books and other stuff, help with crafts etc. But I don't often get down on the floor with the kids as I too have dogs that will plow me over for attention, and all the kids rather not play with me as well. They have playmates as others said already, and because my group is generally around the 1 yr old mark, they often prefer to be alone rather than play with anyone else.

When they want attention and I am not available they will come up to me and just cuddle for a while, or we'll read a book or something.

In the summer we spend lots of time walking, running, playin in the yard and other stuff, so I'm involved more with things like rolling/throwing a ball, splashing in the water and pushing them in the swing and other fun thigns like that. But I don't always get down on the grass to crawl around.
mrsp'slilpeeps 01:02 PM 06-24-2011
Lol, I get told that Im not playing it right! My own daughter (9yrs) tells me that all the time too! Im sorry, I didnt know there was a right and wrong way for playing barbies! Jeeezzz!
But there is so much to do all day, cleaning, food prep, butt changes, cleaning, more food prep, did i mention cleaning?!

But i do participate with crafts and finger painting, ect.
mrsp'slilpeeps 01:05 PM 06-24-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I'm just teasing...it was a really fun thread but did get heated. I sent it to you in pm.
Could you send me the thread too PLZ. Im curious to see what was said!
THanks.
cheerfuldom 01:14 PM 06-24-2011
I have mostly young ones right now and I do feel guilty that I don't actually play more with them. It takes so much time to do feedings (bottles and spoon feedings especially), up and down for naps, diaper changing and whatnot. Including my own children I have a 6 week old, an 8 month old, 10 month old, two kids almost 2 years old (one potty training) and a 3. 5 year old. Some days it is more playing than others.
Cat Herder 01:15 PM 06-24-2011
Originally Posted by awpotter:
Could you send me the thread too PLZ. Im curious to see what was said!
THanks.
Just did...

It has almost the same name and is from December.

The search term/tag used was "entertain" on the search box up top.
Blackcat31 01:22 PM 06-24-2011
Here is another thread from December talking about the same thing.

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...ight=entertain
CheekyChick 02:31 PM 06-24-2011
In a 10 hour day, I probably "play" with the children one hour a day. I also work with them during school time, circle time, make crafts, potty/change them, and interact with them all throughout the day. Thankfully, I have assistants who do the playing for me. I can only take playing "doggy" or "kitty" for so long.
countrymom 03:33 PM 06-24-2011
I too play maybe an hour a day, the worst thing for a child is to learn that an adult needs to entertain them all day. I had a girl like this and it was a nightmare. Now since my kids all talk, we spend all day talking, the stories they tell me is crazy funny.
laundrymom 03:44 PM 06-24-2011
I have 10 from 4 mo to 4 years and we play the entire day. Sometimes me with them, games, imagination, books, outside, and sometimes they play with me, cooking, sorting, etc. We function as a family.
rbmom 03:50 PM 06-24-2011
We do group activities more than me playing one on one with the kids. I would love to play more but do not seem to have much free time after all the care is done although I am always right there with them, unless I am cooking or bathroom break.
jodi 04:47 PM 06-24-2011
I read the past conversation. It was... educational. Honestly it was a good read with valid points of view from both ends of the spectrum. I guess I fall in the middle - I play IF I have time. For example: If I'm doing dishes, I won't stop to read a book - but will ask them to wait and will read it when I'm done. Or if I'm asked to play lego's or something, I'll usually suggest they ask one of their friends. Usually by the time I'm done and have a moment - they are off doing something else - and I'd never stop their new play to remind them they wanted a book.

I go about my chores and interact with the kids - Like I'll wash the windows (could kid fingerprints be any more gross?) in the room they are playing, and will communicate - encourage, answer questions - but I don't play.

I don't do "preschool" either though - but try to find opportunities if I see them doing something in their play that can assist in a learning opportunity. For example if they find a bug - I will stop what I'm doing to check it out... but I certainly wouldn't go looking for the bug with them.

So even though I'm doing my normal household activities - I see them, hear them, communicate with them. They know I am approachable and also know that when I say I'll be there when I'm done, that I am.

It is how I was raised, how I raised my kids and they turned out great. I agree that I'm not sure where the idea that adults should entertain kids came about in the first place. Kids come to me wanting constant adult interaction - not knowing how to play - begging for TV or an action toy - with no imagination. It makes me sad.

So on the days I'm not feeling guilty and second guessing myself about not being Mary Poppins - I'm under the belief that I'm actually doing them a huge benefit by affording them the opportunity to have to learn to play alone, or come up with ideas or solutions, or to take their experiences way past anything that I could present them with. Honestly... if I sat and played lego's, the kids would become very adapt in building swimming pools for the barbies (thats about as far as my imagination goes)... if I leave them alone they build castles, bridges, towns, cars, people...

I think children are these amazing people that when allowed to think and play outside of the box - not have an adult tell them or show them how to do something (except for the obvious... we dont want them to be free spirited in washing their hands...) they come up with extraordinary ideas, inventions, stories. I feel that a lot of times my interaction interferes with that - because I am a grass needs to be green kind of person.

Again... when I'm not feeling guilt over not being the ultimate child care provider, teacher, playmate, entertainer... all for $122/week.
Tags:provider - playtime
Reply Up