Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Tips and Tricks Dealing with Behavior Issues
sariejohnston 06:54 PM 07-07-2014
I have this child in my class who is extremely Clingy and whiny! you can tell his parents still talk baby talk to him and he is going on five years old! I don't know how to deal with him when he gets clingy and whiny he doesn't listen to me at all when he gets like this. What are some Tips and Tricks to dealing with challenging behavior issues?
My3cents 11:32 AM 07-08-2014
Originally Posted by sariejohnston:
I have this child in my class who is extremely Clingy and whiny! you can tell his parents still talk baby talk to him and he is going on five years old! I don't know how to deal with him when he gets clingy and whiny he doesn't listen to me at all when he gets like this. What are some Tips and Tricks to dealing with challenging behavior issues?
pair the child off with another child that will foster the child's growth

tell him what you want and make it brief rinse and repeat. Go play with the toys.

Give choices. play with the blocks or you can read books

tell enough, no more

five years old he can comprehend but check the vitals, is he tired, is he hungry, does he need to use the bathroom,

tell him you can give him a quick hug but that then you must get busy and his job is to go play

I am sure I have more in the cobwebs.....lol

I like to try to find the niche, what the kid likes to do and then start there.
My3cents 11:35 AM 07-08-2014
Originally Posted by sariejohnston:
at five years old this child knows he is being talked to like a baby and he eats it up. Don't go there. Teach the parent how to talk right to the child and the importance of it.

Another thing I do is put the child in a quiet spot and tell them when they stop they can come and talk with me and play again. My quiet spot is a table with books. I don't make my quiet spot as fun as the regular play room- it gets old there fast.

Good luck hope these help-
Tags:behavior issues
Reply Up