Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is This A New Trend?
Bookworm 05:01 PM 09-21-2015
There have been a lot of tours in my center for my class (infants) and over half of the parents ask if I'm teaching the DCKs the alphabet, numbers, shapes,colors, etc. A few even told me that they do flash cards with their toddler so they can "learn" them at home. All of them want full on K-5 curriculum just on a toddler level. Many complained that their current/previous provider doesn't do art everyday.

Isn't this a bit much to expect in a toddler room? Why do parents even want all of this? I've been doing daycare for 20 years and I've never experienced this before. After the fourth tour, I started keeping a tally of the children's age and it averaged 16mos.
nanglgrl 06:40 PM 09-21-2015
Sadly yes. To most "quality" education means their 2 year old classroom will be called preschool, they will do worksheets galore and bring home a ton of Pinteresty crafts that they know dang well their child didn't do on their own. They want to brag to their friends about their child's preschool, show off the teachers crafts claimed to be their child's and want their child to perform parlor tricks for friends by singing their A,B,C's.
Bookworm 09:16 PM 09-21-2015
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
Sadly yes. To most "quality" education means their 2 year old classroom will be called preschool, they will do worksheets galore and bring home a ton of Pinteresty crafts that they know dang well their child didn't do on their own. They want to brag to their friends about their child's preschool, show off the teachers crafts claimed to be their child's and want their child to perform parlor tricks for friends by singing their A,B,C's.
I'm thinking this too. From what I've seen on This forum, flash cards and other similar items don't even work for children this age.
Josiegirl 03:04 AM 09-22-2015
Even if this type of stuff worked(which I 100% agree it doesn't!!) do parents not accept any of that responsibility anymore?? Isn't it true that a parent is a child's first and most important teacher? Are people so insecure they have to have their own child's success speak for their own value? I just don't get it??
Indoorvoice 04:34 AM 09-22-2015
Is so weirdweird! My husband was traveling for work and the guy next to him on the plane was bragging to him that his 4 year old was doing algebra and could read whole books. He asked my husband if our kids had any special talents and my husband said "nope, they're just NORMAL kids." My husband said the guy looked at him with a sympathetic look. No one is happy with normal anymore! I see it in my circle of friends. We all have 1-5 year olds. They are always carting their kids to all these special classes and sport practices and the kids have ZERO downtime. It's all so the parents can tell us, "Tommy can read chapter books in kindergarten!" It's ALL for the parents. I refuse to play into that game.
spedmommy4 05:28 AM 09-22-2015
There is a ton of research that has come out on this recently. One of my favorite Facebook pages, called let the children play, just posted this
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...long-term-harm

I have been known to share it with parents who push me to use early academics.
Pepperth 05:35 AM 09-22-2015
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
Is so weirdweird! My husband was traveling for work and the guy next to him on the plane was bragging to him that his 4 year old was doing algebra and could read whole books. He asked my husband if our kids had any special talents and my husband said "nope, they're just NORMAL kids." My husband said the guy looked at him with a sympathetic look. No one is happy with normal anymore! I see it in my circle of friends. We all have 1-5 year olds. They are always carting their kids to all these special classes and sport practices and the kids have ZERO downtime. It's all so the parents can tell us, "Tommy can read chapter books in kindergarten!" It's ALL for the parents. I refuse to play into that game.
I had a co-worker in the corporate world whose son was the same age as mine. She was always bragging about how he was potty-trained so early, learning to write his name at 2, etc, etc. It made me feel horrible at the time, even though I didn't even believe that her son was doing half the stuff she was bragging about. Its like peer pressure for adults. I'm happy to report though that my son at 5 has an insatiable love of learning.
Play Care 07:31 AM 09-22-2015
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
Last year I had a boy in my care who was older 3 (turned 4 in February) Mom told me he could read, knew all his numbers, etc which he did...BUUUT, he didn't make eye contact, engage in cooperative peer play, have age appropriate self help skills (he was asked to slip on shoes and would spin in circles on the floor crying) He was more work than an of the other kids his age in my care.
So um yeah, that's great he can read...
In fact most of the kids I've had in care who were "academically advanced" had significant issues in other areas. Rarely have I witnessed the total "genius" package
Tags:arts, curriculum, parents - ask too much, qris, quality, stars program
Reply Up