Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Digging In Diaper At Nap
jojosmommy 12:00 PM 07-26-2012
OMG! DCG 2.5 just did the unthinkable. I will spare you the details, lets just say she committed an offence that in this house won't be tolerated. I check every 15 min so child was not left unattended for long. She always takes about an hour (of quiet peaceful blabbering and book reading) to nod off so each time I checked was typical of everyday. Until she decided to take things to a whole new level.

How do I talk to dad tonight about it, and make it clear that this is a ONE time occurrance, and if she tries it again she will be terminated THAT DAY? Dad is pretty lame and doesn't listen to anything I say. I am very direct about everything. This might just test my abilty to keep unkind things unsaid if you KWIM.
Heidi 12:19 PM 07-26-2012
I'm assuming there was finger painting involved?

eww...

I would just tell dad. I would NOT threaten to terminate (even though you may be thinking it), unless you are ok with him saying "ok fine, we're pulling her now".

I sorry, but as gross as this is, it is not uncommon. I hope you scared the crap out of her (I know...wierd choice of words) so that she doesn't do it again. I would certainly not be happy, and there would be stern words to the child, but I would not terminate over something like that.
jojosmommy 12:26 PM 07-26-2012
I should have said that I would love this family to leave anyway. Both their kids are well, lets just leave it alone and say the days they are NOT here are like vacation days . Mom and dad will not pull their kids, I know that because they are too lazy to look for other care umong a million other reasons but again if they did I would be happy dancing for months.

I did give the girl a serious talking to but other than that what are my options? I WILL NOT allow this to happen again, not for all the money in the world. There are limits. This far crosses the line of allowable.
cheerfuldom 12:41 PM 07-26-2012
Dress her so that she cant get to her diaper. Either a sleeper (with the feet cut off) turned backwards or something like this http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/toys...-blue/22022148

again, turn it backwards.

I actually had one kid get out of the backwards sleepsack! so I had to put a sweatshirt over all of that!
DCMom 12:43 PM 07-26-2012
Oh man, Diaper Diggers are the worst ~ I have only had two or three over the years, but it is GROSS!

Don't you wonder what the appeal is/why they do it? It must be the texture, cuz it sure can't be the smell...
Lianne 01:39 PM 07-26-2012
I inform my diaper diggers' parents when this happens but just so they can watch for it to happen at home. I don't expect them to correct or stop the behaviour, how can they? I use old girls bathing suits and put them on diaper diggers at naptime. Helps stop the kid from getting into the diaper and I can usually get old bathing suits of various sizes donated for free at the end of the summers.
DaisyMamma 02:08 PM 07-26-2012
Gross! I just had a similar occurance, only this kid is only 8 months. Totally my fault, as mom warned me not to put him in bed with just a diaper, just thought I'd share sympathies today
Daycarelady1979 02:23 PM 07-26-2012
I used to have a dcb who did this all the time...it made me SO MAD!!!! The mom kept saying "he doesn't do that at home"...so guess what? The next time he sat in my recliner & dug poop out of his diaper, I took a picture of it & sent it to her via text!

Nothing ruins your day faster than having fecal matter spread all over the place...especially when it's not even your OWN child's poop! Gross!
cheerfuldom 03:13 PM 07-26-2012
Originally Posted by Daycarelady1979:
I used to have a dcb who did this all the time...it made me SO MAD!!!! The mom kept saying "he doesn't do that at home"...so guess what? The next time he sat in my recliner & dug poop out of his diaper, I took a picture of it & sent it to her via text!

Nothing ruins your day faster than having fecal matter spread all over the place...especially when it's not even your OWN child's poop! Gross!
I have never had one that did it outside of nap times....thats just plain gross. At that point, I would have him start wearing overalls or something similar at all times where he cant get to his diapers. yuck!

I hate the "he never does this at home" line....

one mom was so upset that her daughter was diaper digging at daycare, she came in one day unannounced to check out the napping room (which is an empty room with a PNP) to see "what was in there that was making her daughter do this at daycare". ha ha! i guess she thought maybe the bogeyman hides down there or something.
momma2girls 05:48 PM 07-26-2012
Always make sure a onsie is on them.
mema 08:00 PM 07-26-2012
I had a dcb that was "potty trained" at home, but not here so I had him in diapers still. I would ask at transitions if he needed to use the potty. Everytime it was no. So one day I was helping a little wash hands after a craft and come out to a huge wet spot on the floor. I asked dcb what happened, he said nothing. OK. Later I see him in the corner reaching up the legs of his shorts and moving his diaper. Dcm was not happy when I told her he would have to wear pants and not shorts and if he did it again, she was getting the carpet cleaning bill because my cleaner was broke

Overalls or footed pjs backwards is the only suggestions I have. Good luck!
jojosmommy 08:10 PM 07-26-2012
Originally Posted by momma2girls:
Always make sure a onsie is on them.
The kid who did this is 2.5 yrs old. No onsie would fit a kid this size.

I will be doing the overalls or swimsuit thing if I must though.

I told dad and he was grossed out but didn't say much to me about it. I heard him telling dcg that it was "nasty" on the way to the car though. Hopefully mom doesn't call and annoy me with all her "theories" on why dcg would do this and all her "solutions" on how I can re-do my entire daycare to make it stop. I crack myself up.
Blackcat31 06:04 AM 07-27-2012
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:
The kid who did this is 2.5 yrs old. No onsie would fit a kid this size.

I will be doing the overalls or swimsuit thing if I must though.

I told dad and he was grossed out but didn't say much to me about it. I heard him telling dcg that it was "nasty" on the way to the car though. Hopefully mom doesn't call and annoy me with all her "theories" on why dcg would do this and all her "solutions" on how I can re-do my entire daycare to make it stop. I crack myself up.
Maybe this kid is trying to tell mom he is ready to be toilet trained and mom hasn't considered that "theory" just yet....
jojosmommy 06:52 AM 07-27-2012
Possibly becoming interested in potty training however child is completely non verbal so potty training is going to be interesting. Mom doesnt think the not talking is a big issue so Ill let her toilet train and see what happens there.
Blackcat31 07:05 AM 07-27-2012
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:
Possibly becoming interested in potty training however child is completely non verbal so potty training is going to be interesting. Mom doesnt think the not talking is a big issue so Ill let her toilet train and see what happens there.
I have one of those too. He is 2.5 and cannot speak. He is carried all the time, can't do any self-help tasks, including undressing let alone re-dressing himself. He can't use silverware and spills everyday with the 5 oz Dixie cups we use (I put a few sips a time in his cup). He nods to anything you ask him and doesn't follow even simple one step directions. He acts lost and does NOT take any type of social cues from others.

He is VERY coddled and VERY immature for his age. Mom recently told me she still nurses him at night. She is an older mom and is a massive helicopter parent.

She recently asked me if I would be open to beginning toilet training with him. I had to put my hand over my mouth so I didn't laugh outloud......while I respectfully said that I felt there were a few other skills I thought she/we should focus on first.
Tags:diaper digger, diapers - messy, gross
Reply Up