Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Wind Chill -2...DCK Still Arrives Without A Coat :(
PolkaTots 05:32 AM 01-21-2013
I just don't understand some parents...how can you rationalize that a 1 year old should be out in this weather with no coat, no blanket, no mittens, and no shoes? I have a parent that is a huge advocate for car seat safety, but that is her reasoning for not putting him in a car seat without a coat, there is no reason she can't toss a thick blanket over him when leaving the car At least she did provide me with a coat, hat, shoes, and mittens to keep here (at my request)...but it broke my heart to see him crying this morning from the cold when he arrived. Poor little red cheeks and ice cold fingers and toes
laundrymom 05:34 AM 01-21-2013
Mom, I need a coat for Joey. I'll not ask again. You are neglecting his needs. Period.
Meyou 05:34 AM 01-21-2013
ALL my parents are all car seat advocates and none of them do this. They all use a sweater with a fleece jacket, boots, hat and mitts with a blanket in the car and carry in the winter gear if they don't leave it here.

That's just cruel....car seat safety is not an excuse to be lazy. SHE wouldn't go out dressed like that so why is it ok for baby?
PolkaTots 05:43 AM 01-21-2013
I did request her to bring those items here to keep if she doesn't plan on putting them on him, and she did, so I have a coat, shoes, mittens, hat, and snowpants for him here.
But to see her walk in with a knee length down parka and mittens holding her son who was crying from the cold...and she even comments how he didn't like how cold it was this morning...was just a bit much
laundrymom 05:48 AM 01-21-2013
Originally Posted by PolkaTots:
I did request her to bring those items here to keep if she doesn't plan on putting them on him, and she did, so I have a coat, shoes, mittens, hat, and snowpants for him here.
But to see her walk in with a knee length down parka and mittens holding her son who was crying from the cold...and she even comments how he didn't like how cold it was this morning...was just a bit much
Mom. I can't stand by without commenting anymore. I'm sorry but if he wears no coat, neither should you. Do you enjoy making him suffer?
NeedaVaca 05:53 AM 01-21-2013
I'm sorry but that is ridiculous. Yes, I get the car safety aspect but what if the car breaks down?? I ALWAYS have extra blankets and emergency supplies in my car during the winter! You just never know what could happen, car break down, accident, etc. She needs to transport with a jacket in her car. I have a lot of families that take jackets on and off before putting them in car seats, it's not that hard...
countrymom 06:08 AM 01-21-2013
this is going to sound stupid, but why can't you go and adjust your seat belts to accodate the coat, really you can make them as small or big as you want. And its not like kids have 10 different winter coats. All my parents put coats on their kids and adjust their seatbelts.
Breezy 06:09 AM 01-21-2013
Makes me want to cry!!
laundrymom 06:12 AM 01-21-2013
Hats mittens and heavy slippers or boots have ZERO effect on a seatbelts function.
SilverSabre25 06:21 AM 01-21-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
this is going to sound stupid, but why can't you go and adjust your seat belts to accodate the coat, really you can make them as small or big as you want. And its not like kids have 10 different winter coats. All my parents put coats on their kids and adjust their seatbelts.
Because the coats are so puffy that even when you think it's tight, it's not. Then in an accident, the coat will compress and the child can still fly right out of the seat. It's just not safe, period.

http://thecarseatlady.wordpress.com/2011/01/27/coats/

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=29772

http://tiealittleribbon.com/2012/01/...at-do-not-mix/
SilverSabre25 06:24 AM 01-21-2013
Mom is a tad bit misinformed if the babe doesn't even wear a fleece in the car. SHe's right about no heavy coats, but he should at least have a fleece and a cozy blanket.

My kids aren't allowed to wear coats in their seats (relaxing this on DD since she's using a belt-positioning booster now) and they each have a "car blanket" that's fleece and cozy. They get strapped in then covered with the blanket. We wear a coat from door to car, then take it off and buckle, then cover up with the blanket, then put the coat on again to get from car to place. I don't usually bother zipping for the short jaunts but it gets the job done and neither ever cries from it.
PolkaTots 06:46 AM 01-21-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Mom is a tad bit misinformed if the babe doesn't even wear a fleece in the car. SHe's right about no heavy coats, but he should at least have a fleece and a cozy blanket.

My kids aren't allowed to wear coats in their seats (relaxing this on DD since she's using a belt-positioning booster now) and they each have a "car blanket" that's fleece and cozy. They get strapped in then covered with the blanket. We wear a coat from door to car, then take it off and buckle, then cover up with the blanket, then put the coat on again to get from car to place. I don't usually bother zipping for the short jaunts but it gets the job done and neither ever cries from it.
I agree with no bulky coats in the car seat...that's not the issue. My problem is that she can't even slip a coat on him after removing him, or a blanket, to protect him from the elements from the car to my home...and it's not just my home either. She posted on facebook how she got into an argument with someone in the mall parking lot about how it's unsafe for her child to wear a coat in a carseat when confronted that it was too cold to be outside without one. You'd think with how adamant she was about carseat/seatbelt safety, she wouldn't be wearing a big bulky parka either.
SilverSabre25 06:54 AM 01-21-2013
I agree with no bulky coats in the car seat...that's not the issue. My problem is that she can't even slip a coat on him after removing him, or a blanket, to protect him from the elements from the car to my home...and it's not just my home either. She posted on facebook how she got into an argument with someone in the mall parking lot about how it's unsafe for her child to wear a coat in a carseat when confronted that it was too cold to be outside without one. You'd think with how adamant she was about carseat/seatbelt safety, she wouldn't be wearing a big bulky parka either.
OH I understand completely! That's why I said she's missing the point, or one of the steps, or something. Even when temps are "iffy" and I allow my daughter to choose not to wear a coat from car to store (I'm talking 40s or so), I bring it so people can see we have one.
PolkaTots 07:01 AM 01-21-2013
Today I am just going to send him home in his winter gear (minus snowpants) that he has here...and they can just slip the coat off when the sit him in the seat before they buckle him in.

"I'm sorry, but I just can't send him outside with nothing to protect him. It is way too cold today. I'm sure it won't be much hassle to slip these off once you get to the car." I will have to post the response I get...
PolkaTots 07:03 AM 01-21-2013
I am sorry...I just saw the news and realize I was misinformed...temp was -2...wind chill was -18 Now I am even more upset with these parents!
Daycarelady1979 07:06 AM 01-21-2013
I have never in my WHOLE life heard that you're not supposed to let a kid wear a coat in a carseat. And judging by the fact that my kids come directly from the car into my house with a puffy winter coat on, their parents have never heard of it either.
SilverSabre25 08:10 AM 01-21-2013
Originally Posted by Daycarelady1979:
I have never in my WHOLE life heard that you're not supposed to let a kid wear a coat in a carseat. And judging by the fact that my kids come directly from the car into my house with a puffy winter coat on, their parents have never heard of it either.
lots of people haven't heard of it. Doesn't mean it's safe to do it.
Daycarelady1979 08:36 AM 01-21-2013
Alrighty then...

I'm just saying, how are we supposed to know its not safe if we've never heard anything about it? There's no info about it on my actual car seat & not in the instruction manual either. No info at the pediatrician's office. No info at the WIC office. No info from job & family services. No info anywhere in my van that I can find.
daycarediva 08:37 AM 01-21-2013
If she is such a safety advocate, that's insane that she is so misinformed about other aspects of safety. In -18 temps a little guy could get frostbite within minutes. VERY dangerous.

I am a huge carseat safety advocate as well. I remove & then reverse my kids coats once they are buckled in. Takes 2 minutes for all of them.
SilverSabre25 08:41 AM 01-21-2013
Alrighty then...

I'm just saying, how are we supposed to know its not safe if we've never heard anything about it? There's no info about it on my actual car seat & not in the instruction manual either. No info at the pediatrician's office. No info at the WIC office. No info from job & family services. No info anywhere in my van that I can find.
internet. I'm not saying you're bad or anything...it's just an area of safety that is often overlooked. The information is out there but it's poorly circulated and often confusing. The laws are few and sketchy and most people dont' care. But, some of us do. It's a growing trend...slow, but growing.
Blackcat31 09:00 AM 01-21-2013
Alrighty then...

Does your state NOT require you to take a car seat training class for licensing?

I am required to and don't even trainsport children.
Play Care 09:36 AM 01-21-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Does your state NOT require you to take a car seat training class for licensing?

Mine does not - or at least it didn't when I first started dc. And none of the madated trainings have anything to do with car seats except to make sure they are installed correctly. I know the about not wearing coats in car seats, but that's because a close relative is a certified seat installer/safety checker (not sure of her actual title)
I think it's great when we can spread awareness. Someone learned something today and that's awesome.
cheerfuldom 09:44 AM 01-21-2013
what is her reasoning behind leaving him shoe less? that certainly does not affect car seat safety. even mittens and a hat.
Play Care 09:56 AM 01-21-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
what is her reasoning behind leaving him shoe less? that certainly does not affect car seat safety. even mittens and a hat.
I know for my clients the answers range from "we are just going from the warm car to the house/store/mall" or the kids throw them off (that's going on at my dc now ) so it's easier to go without if you are not actually going to be outdoors for a length of time.
familyschoolcare 09:59 AM 01-21-2013
If it is really that cold then it is child neglect or endangerment to cary or have the child walk from the car to the house with out a coat or something. Mentioning that to mom might solve the problem.
Country Kids 10:14 AM 01-21-2013

This is all our state says about trasporting a child:

The number of children transported shall not exceed the number of seat belts or child safety systems available in the vehicle

We do not have to take any type of training or anything. In fact I have taken the carseats down once or twice for proper installation and actually received two new booster seats because my others had aged out or something.

They said nothing at that training about coats and carseats/booster seats. Not one word was mentioned about it for a safety hazard.
Daycarelady1979 12:36 PM 01-21-2013
BlackCat- I'm not licensed, I'm certified.
And no, there has never been any training. Not through the CCR&R agency, not through job & family services, not when I went to college for my CDA, NEVER.
lovemykidstoo 12:45 PM 01-21-2013
Today I am just going to send him home in his winter gear (minus snowpants) that he has here...and they can just slip the coat off when the sit him in the seat before they buckle him in.

"I'm sorry, but I just can't send him outside with nothing to protect him. It is way too cold today. I'm sure it won't be much hassle to slip these off once you get to the car." I will have to post the response I get...
Good idea, can't wait to hear what she says. If you are uncomfortable saying anything to her, when the child comes, talk to the child like "Sally, where in the world is your coat, it's so cold outside". Lazy parents. My one dcb constantly comes with his shoes in his diaper bag and not on his feet and it is COLD here! How long does it take to put a pair of velcro tennis shoes on a 20 month old?
Blackcat31 01:22 PM 01-21-2013
BlackCat- I'm not licensed, I'm certified.
And no, there has never been any training. Not through the CCR&R agency, not through job & family services, not when I went to college for my CDA, NEVER.
Wow, that is too bad.

I wasn't blaming you or saying you were wrong at all....I had never ever heard about the winter coat thing either until my last training.

I am honestly surprised there are so many places that don't require providers to have the trainings or atleast offer it to them.

I don't transport children ever but as a provider, parents tend to ask me for advice etc about kid related things so it pays to be informed about current trends, safety rules and other related things.

But like a PP'er said, "You learn something new everyday".
Kaddidle Care 05:50 PM 01-21-2013
I watched a Dad walk his little boy from the Library to the car the other day. The tot was in jammies and Dad was wearing a winter coat. All I could do was glare at him.

In the temps you are talking about if she doesn't at least wrap the child in a blanket for the trip from car to the house she is neglecting her child. I would have a hard time not scolding the mother when it's that frigid out.

I'm just too old for this kind of stupdity.
Angelsj 06:28 PM 01-21-2013
How hard is it to throw a blanket on the kid?? Perhaps you need to tell her you will report her for neglect if it happens again. They make blankets you can toss over the baby to carry them in, and would work on the drive without needing to have a coat on in the car. Sheesh..some people!!
PolkaTots 05:16 AM 01-22-2013
Well yesterday at pick up time, I had everything laid out and said, "Here, let me get him ready for you. It's pretty cold out there." No peep from mom about me doing this. I asked if this was his only coat, and she said no, he had several others at home. I replied, "It's really too cold to be out there without one." and she just said...yeah.

Kind of expected her to arrive this morning without him wearing one, and was totally prepared to give her a forehead slap, but he had it on! Yay!
daycarediva 05:24 AM 01-22-2013
Well yesterday at pick up time, I had everything laid out and said, "Here, let me get him ready for you. It's pretty cold out there." No peep from mom about me doing this. I asked if this was his only coat, and she said no, he had several others at home. I replied, "It's really too cold to be out there without one." and she just said...yeah.

Kind of expected her to arrive this morning without him wearing one, and was totally prepared to give her a forehead slap, but he had it on! Yay!
YAY for dcb!
lovemykidstoo 05:35 AM 01-22-2013

That is awesome!! Good for you, great way to handle it. Stupid mom. Common sense people. UGH!
DCMom 07:39 AM 01-22-2013

Really? I don't transport and I don't take the class. Mostly because I would need a bus....

I just got relicensed in December and specifically asked the question. She said no. Not required unless you transport. Another one of those different county, different rules I guess.

So glad that mom finally gets it, PolkaTots! In my opinion, they just don't want to take the time to get them ready "it's just from the car to the house" is the way of thinking.

It is -11 degrees here right now...and I had the opposite problem. Moms and Dad with no coats. And you wonder why your 2/3 year old fights putting one on
Blackcat31 08:54 AM 01-22-2013
Originally Posted by DCMom:
Really? I don't transport and I don't take the class. Mostly because I would need a bus....

I just got relicensed in December and specifically asked the question. She said no. Not required unless you transport. Another one of those different county, different rules I guess.
Yeah, I suspect the only reason we are required to take it is because we are so rural that training options are VERY minimal and very limited so I think it is the easiest way for our licensor to make sure we all get the yearly required training hours done
bunnyslippers 09:12 AM 01-22-2013
I am definitely the odd man out on this one, but I don't know that I would have said anything about it to the mom at all. I used to get very worked up about stuff that I would see the parents doing when they were in charge of their own children (like a dad picking up his daughter and not hanging up his cell, or a little boy eating a donut in the car every morning). It really started to wear me down. So now my attitude is simply - I control my own environment, but what they do in their own environment is up to the parents.

Please don't get me wrong - I appreciate your taking the initiative to try and correct the mom's idiotic behavior. I am just not sure I would take it on myself to remedy the situation.

Glad it worked out for you, though!
SilverSabre25 09:49 AM 01-22-2013
So I have to ask...is he still rear facing?
My3cents 09:50 AM 01-22-2013
I am responding with out even reading this post, only reading the title.

My reaction to this if seen would have been to tell the parent to take the child home and get his or her coat- The child needs to come to daycare prepared for the day. There would be no haggling over this at all. Even if you have no plans to take the child outside for the day- What if there was an emergency and you had to evacuate the kids to outside elements. If I didn't notice this until later in the day the parent would have been called and told to bring me a jacket or come and get the child. It is neglect. If the parent has no coat for the child, that opens up a new can of worms and then I decide if I report or direct them to appropriate helps.

Now I am going to go and read the rest of the story
AfterSchoolMom 09:55 AM 01-22-2013
I've been thinking about this since yesterday. It's 20 degrees here right now, and that's about as cold as it ever gets during the day....and it's ridiculous, stupid COLD. My baby had on a long sleeved onesie, fleece, hat, blanket, AND one of those carseat cover things that zips over the bucket seat when we went to the store. I can't even fathom negative degree temps, and I can't imagine exposing a child to them that way. I am SO glad to hear that he had his coat on today!!
My3cents 09:55 AM 01-22-2013
Advocate for the little kiddo. I would ask her why is it that you are dressed for winter but your child is not??? Don't bring him here again with out a jacket on and appropriate clothes for weather. It is a form of neglect. I bet she doesn't even preheat the car up- just guessing but I bet not. Don't allow this to be Acceptable! Lazy numb nuts!
My3cents 10:10 AM 01-22-2013

yah!!!! Good for you- made her think. She is probably just used to the everyday routine and got laxed about it, prob not thinking about it. No excuse but I am guessing this was her processing. If she should try this again say something right away. Maybe say something like this....

Marge,
I am not cool with Little Johnny not coming to daycare with out proper weather clothing. Can we make sure this doesn't happen again. I am a mandated reporter and this is considered a form of neglect- If you have needs please let me know and I will do my best to direct you to the right place to find these items. Thank you-
My3cents 10:19 AM 01-22-2013
Originally Posted by bunnyslippers:
I am definitely the odd man out on this one, but I don't know that I would have said anything about it to the mom at all. I used to get very worked up about stuff that I would see the parents doing when they were in charge of their own children (like a dad picking up his daughter and not hanging up his cell, or a little boy eating a donut in the car every morning). It really started to wear me down. So now my attitude is simply - I control my own environment, but what they do in their own environment is up to the parents.

Please don't get me wrong - I appreciate your taking the initiative to try and correct the mom's idiotic behavior. I am just not sure I would take it on myself to remedy the situation.

Glad it worked out for you, though!
I hear you and I understand, but I don't think this is the right attitude to have. If you can make a difference in someone elses life, why not give it a shot??? Don't let it wear you down, but give it your best try. I agree with you about your own environment but I wouldn't want the neighbors or passer byers, other parents, seeing a child come into my home like this and thinking that I was was ok with it- I agree with pick your battles, but this is dangerous -18. It takes very little time for kids hands to freeze and toes. I would be conversing with the parent and being blunt about it. You might be the only one in this persons life that does call them out on this.

I get the car seat info too but common sense tells you that not being prepared for the elements is just as dangerous. I look at this as more of a lazy parent then a safety issue-

Unregistered 08:22 AM 01-23-2013
I would tell mom if she comes in with the child not properly bundled up for the cold weather, that I will call Child Protective Services.

She can explain this situation to them. They can explain the consequences to her.
butterfly 11:20 AM 01-23-2013
slightly off topic, but just had to share. Last night I left the forum up as I walked away from the computer. My husband sat down at the computer and couldn't stop laughing. He read the title "wind chill -2... DCK still arrives without a coat" He obviously doesn't know the lingo of the forum and thought the DCK was missing an "I"... After rereading the title with my husbands interpretation, we both had a good laugh. Have a great day!!
daycare 11:22 AM 01-23-2013
Originally Posted by butterfly:
slightly off topic, but just had to share. Last night I left the forum up as I walked away from the computer. My husband sat down at the computer and couldn't stop laughing. He read the title "wind chill -2... DCK still arrives without a coat" He obviously doesn't know the lingo of the forum and thought the DCK was missing an "I"... After rereading the title with my husbands interpretation, we both had a good laugh. Have a great day!!
hahahahhahh thanks for the laugh
Zoe 11:24 AM 01-23-2013
I can see that! Leave it to a man to go straight there.

Originally Posted by butterfly:

Reply Up