Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
1 2
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>It Must Be Time For "Worst Gift Ever Received By A DCfamily" Thread!
Unregistered 04:28 PM 12-05-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
If I am going to be judged by provders about the gift I give, I wont bother getting anything at all.
I always figured it was the thought that counts.
This thread makes providers seem very materialistic.
I follow my daycare ladys rules and policies and am respectful of her and home. I always pay on time too. She always says that is more than enough and shows my appreciation of all she does.
Some of these "worst" gift ideas are given with no thought at all. Going to a dollar store to grab me, the person who keeps our kids safe, a cheap gift last minute is NOT putting any thought or care or time into it. Sorry. I'd rather get NOTHING than a last minute cheap gift that really means nothing anyway. I'd GLADLY accept Christmas cards or a Thank You in place of a cheap, thoughtless gift.
Unregistered 05:07 PM 12-05-2013
Originally Posted by Leigh:
You're right there, and honestly, those "junk" presents are still worth it when the child has the joy of giving it to you and seeing you exclaim over it.
If the child is giving it, it always has meaning. It's when the parents declare it's from them and don't care enough to write a card out, but they'll grab a $1 store "crunch n munch" lol If the KID did that, it's endearing...when an adult does that it's plain thoughtless
e.j. 08:41 PM 12-05-2013
I follow my daycare ladys rules and policies and am respectful of her and home. I always pay on time too. She always says that is more than enough and shows my appreciation of all she does.
I've often told my dc parents the same thing. Respect me, my home and my policies, pay on time and I'm happy! That said, some of the best gifts I've received include Christmas cards with pictures of my dc kids, notes expressing appreciation, a week's worth of bonus pay, handmade baskets and a handmade cabinet from a dcd who was a very skilled caprenter, gift cards to local dept. stores and restaurants.

I don't feel comfortable mentioning the worst gifts I've received but none compare to the fig newton and the stolen gifts from Walmart! Kind of sad and totally hysterical at the same time. (Hopefully, the fig newton was something a small child thought would make a great present and the parent didn't have the heart to discourage him???)

I do have to say that it's nice to know my husband isn't the only husband who is "gift challenged"! He's very thoughtful and shows me he loves me in so many other ways but he can be pretty dense when it comes to gift giving. When our kids were little, we agreed to just fill each other's stocking instead of giving each other a gift so we could put the money toward gifts for them. One year, he filled my stocking with 2 cans of Endust! I can laugh at it now but....sheesh! Gotta wonder what he was thinking at the time.
Luna 03:17 AM 12-06-2013
I have never received a "bad" gift from my dcfs, but the best was a gift card for a restaurant with a really nice note.
My most thoughtless gift ever...my ex bought me a pink dress for my birthday (September) and when I tried it on HE said something like "hoo boy, that dress is UGLY!", and he was right. Then for Christmas he bought me the same dress in blue. The. Same. Dress. Still ugly.
Familycare71 05:26 AM 12-06-2013
I think it's too bad a fun light hearted post had to get serious... When I saw the thread tittle I thought: this should be fun!!
So with that said: I am grateful for every gift!!

Best gift: a massage certificate and (seprate family) a weeks tuition and a magnet that had a beautiful mess on it
Worst gift: plain white coffee mug-

I don't care what the cost is- I just love the ones that are heart felt. From kids or parents
Unregistered 06:33 AM 12-06-2013
This wasn't a Christmas gift... When my son was in the hospital (1.5 at the time) one of my families went to the dollar store and got a bunch of kids toys for both kids to play with. They had coloring books, crayons, balloons, glow sticks. The daycare girl was so excited to give it to them!!! I knew it was from the dollar store but I didn't mind. I was so thankful that they did anything!
Naptime yet? 07:31 AM 12-06-2013
What I hope my DCFs do for me this holiday is pick their kids up before I close. That would be the best gift ever (well, maybe if they took my kids with them for a little bit and I could have maybe an hour of quiet...)
crazydaycarelady 08:14 AM 12-06-2013
Originally Posted by :
When my son was in the hospital (1.5 at the time) one of my families went to the dollar store and got a bunch of kids toys for both kids to play with. They had coloring books, crayons, balloons, glow sticks. The daycare girl was so excited to give it to them!!! I knew it was from the dollar store but I didn't mind. I was so thankful that they did anything!
I don't think it is a Dollar Store gift that any of us are unimpressed with, it is a thoughtless gift, no matter where it comes from. In your case those gifts were perfect, thoughtful, and I bet your son loved them!
DCMom 08:49 AM 12-06-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I feel the same way though.... (as unregistered)

I think that threads like these belong in the "Off-topic" or members only section if they are going to be posted at all.

I cringe when I read threads that have the possibility of dissing parents...kwim? Parents are my bread and butter. How they view child care providers weighs heavily on whether I remain successful or not in this business.

There are so many things during this time of the year to be grateful for that I kind of think it is petty to be 'complaining' about someone who had the decency to even think of you during the holidays in the first place....kwim?

It's simply the way I personally, feel about gifts, giving and the thought process behind it all.

Either people complain about not getting anything at all or they complain about what they get.

Maybe providers should post gift lists so their parents know exactly what to get them. or not to get them... Seems that would solve the whole dilemma.

Flame away if you want, I have a thick skin.

No flames here!

I feel the same way. I stress over what to do for the dck's, what to do with the dck's for the parents, how the parents will perceive it...on and on and on. In the end, they are my clients and I must keep them happy in order to have continued success.

Then, for me, it is the awkward moment that Friday before I take 10 paid days off that they hand you *the gift*.... I hate it!! Don't get me wrong, I have really awesome parents who have given some really great gifts. I just don't feel that it is necessary.

If I had to choose, my favorite gift of all time was when all the parents got together, pooled funds and bought a Lakeshore Gift Card so I could buy things for the daycare. Or one mom who had post it notes made with my daycare name on them (cuz I stick notes on their cubbies all the time ). Not personal, but for the daycare, kwim?

I just hate the awkwardness of it, I guess. I'm not a good gift receiver ~ I'm a better gift giver
mrsnj 10:49 AM 12-06-2013
Best: Hummm I dunno. I have gotten some nice things. Its nice when they get something that is YOU. It lets you know that they notice things and not just drop off and run and you just become a fixture in a room each morning. I like that one parent gets me vanilla candles cause they know I love them but have allergies and can't do other scents. I like that I got hoop earrings cause the child noticed I wear them a lot. Or that a parent bought me Plum wine cause I mentioned about 6 months prior that I had it for the first time from a local vineyard and loved it and she drove and picked me up a bottle. It means they know me and my family and listen and ask about things and care. I could say that the $100 gift certificate I got once was awesome but truth is I find more in the vanilla candle.

Worse: Oh that one was easy....a used recycled gift. It was a basket full of perfumed lotions and soaps all that I knew the mom knew I could not use as we had talked many time about how I cannot use or smell that stuff. But the best part was the plastic covering was wrinkled and full of dust!! Like it was shoved under a sink and pulled out last minute. That was like a slap in the face.

But I have to say, although I would like to agree that I would rather have gotten nothing than to receive a dusty reused item the parent knew I couldn't even use...I would rather get the dollar store gift than nothing at all. Receiving not a card or anything hurts more than the dusty reused gift. At least the mom dug that out and remember to bring it. Those that still see me as the object in the middle of the room at drop off kinda hurt more. Its worse to be forgotten completely. Then you know where you truly stand. Its not about the gift, it really truly is about the thought. It lets you know they care and you are loved. JMO
saved4always 12:27 PM 12-06-2013
Originally Posted by JoseyJo:

I also had a family who gave us 2-3 poses of their child at least 3 times a year. Not framed though
I liked getting pictures of the kids. My parents usually gave me smaller unframed ones, usually thier Christmas card pics. I still have some of my favorites on the side of my refrigerator. I put those strip magnets on the back and kind of made a collage. All of my kids were adorable, of course .
saved4always 12:33 PM 12-06-2013
This wasn't a Christmas gift... When my son was in the hospital (1.5 at the time) one of my families went to the dollar store and got a bunch of kids toys for both kids to play with. They had coloring books, crayons, balloons, glow sticks. The daycare girl was so excited to give it to them!!! I knew it was from the dollar store but I didn't mind. I was so thankful that they did anything!
That is so sweet...just shows that, if a gift is chosen with thought and caring, it doesn't matter what it costs. I bet your kids had the best time with that! Great lesson for DCG, too, in thoughfulness.
mpb12 05:40 PM 01-30-2014
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
Maybe we could do best gift and worst gift?

Worst - A little manicure set that came from the dollar store.

Also there was the dad who commented after being late a lot that they were going to have to give me a really good Christmas gift. They gave me a kitchen washcloth and a pot scrubber that year. I hate to think what the regular gift would have been had they not been late all those times!?!

Best gift(s)- movie gift certificates for my whole family, dinner gift card with enough for the whole family, and a spa gift card with enough for a massage!

I would hand it back...sorry, I dont scrub you babies butt.
Imagination's Creations 12:43 PM 02-12-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I feel the same way though.... (as unregistered)

I think that threads like these belong in the "Off-topic" or members only section if they are going to be posted at all.

I cringe when I read threads that have the possibility of dissing parents...kwim? Parents are my bread and butter. How they view child care providers weighs heavily on whether I remain successful or not in this business.

There are so many things during this time of the year to be grateful for that I kind of think it is petty to be 'complaining' about someone who had the decency to even think of you during the holidays in the first place....kwim?

It's simply the way I personally, feel about gifts, giving and the thought process behind it all.

Either people complain about not getting anything at all or they complain about what they get.

Maybe providers should post gift lists so their parents know exactly what to get them. or not to get them... Seems that would solve the whole dilemma.

Flame away if you want, I have a thick skin.
Im new to this site and LOVE it! BUT I have to agree also. Considering this is public, I think these are things that shouldnt really be discussed. I do however agree that gifts mean more when they are thought out and not just grabbed last minute because the parent felt obligated. I have been doing childcare for 7 years now and this was the first year I received any gifts, but parents have gotten gifts for my kids before. They were all awesome!
Tags:forum cycle, gifts, presents
1 2
Reply Up