Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare Owners Say They Smoke Medical Marijuana With Kids In The House
Wubby 03:44 PM 06-29-2014
I can't even imagine this could be legal. This is on our local news.
A center were the providers are smoking marijuana, medical or not. I would not want my child there.
http://www.katu.com/news/local/Dayca...A%22wall%22%7D
Michelle 04:03 PM 06-29-2014
wow!
I can't imagine how she got away with it as long as she did
there is no way she would have to smoke drugs during daycare hours...
if she is in that much pain then she should just go on disability
Heidi 05:03 PM 06-29-2014
hmmmm...

Ok, ONE person in the house needing medical marjiuana, I can buy. It would have to be treated just like any other medication. But, isn't it a bit odd that SEVERAL of the adults in charge need it?
Wubby 05:27 PM 06-29-2014
I think it is a center. I watched the news video also. The "tent" they use for smoking is feet away from the kids. I am amazed by this article.
midaycare 07:31 PM 06-29-2014
Uugh. I don't like the legalization of marijuana. Sorry if I offend anyone. I just don't ever want my son doing it. Studies have shown that adolescents who start smoking pot have brain alterations, and not for the better.
Unregistered 04:46 AM 06-30-2014
If she needs medical marijuana just to be able to walk during the day then she is not capablevto care for children.Just my opinio!
Angelsj 06:00 AM 06-30-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
Uugh. I don't like the legalization of marijuana. Sorry if I offend anyone. I just don't ever want my son doing it. Studies have shown that adolescents who start smoking pot have brain alterations, and not for the better.
Sorry, but your logic fails here. Alcohol is legal and has many devastating effects on a growing brain. Marijuana regulated legally just like alcohol would likely be no more or less available to your son than it is right now.
The medical benefits of marijuana have been show over and over again, but it also has the SAFEST record of any recreational drug out there, much safer than alcohol.
Your son is highly unlikely to begin smoking pot because it is legal. It is readily available (particularly to teens.) If you don't want him to smoke it, you need to talk to him about that and why.
As to the OP, I find it highly suspect that multiple people there "need" medical marijuana. And I cannot imagine the state or parents being ok with it.
Blackcat31 07:09 AM 06-30-2014
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
Sorry, but your logic fails here. Alcohol is legal and has many devastating effects on a growing brain. Marijuana regulated legally just like alcohol would likely be no more or less available to your son than it is right now.
The medical benefits of marijuana have been show over and over again, but it also has the SAFEST record of any recreational drug out there, much safer than alcohol.
Your son is highly unlikely to begin smoking pot because it is legal. It is readily available (particularly to teens.) If you don't want him to smoke it, you need to talk to him about that and why.
As to the OP, I find it highly suspect that multiple people there "need" medical marijuana. And I cannot imagine the state or parents being ok with it.
I agree... whether something is legal or not usually has NO bearing on what teens choose to do or not do.

I also think there is something more to this story...I feel like we are only hearing the parts that are sensationalized...I don't know...something is odd/weird/off.
SunshineMama 07:13 AM 06-30-2014
I am an advocate of medical marijuana, however I don't think it is okay to be on any type of pain medication, other than tylenol, while taking care of children. If you are in that much pain, you need to either take the day off or find another career if it's persistent pain.

People who abuse medical marijuana give it a bad rep, just like people who abuse alcohol or pain medication.
mountainside13 10:49 AM 06-30-2014
I am also an advocate of medical marijuana, not recreational. It does have a lot of benefits to those who really NEED it! When my grandmother died of terminal cancer (7 years ago) she could have really benefitted from it. The pain pills wouldn't touch the pain and her last few days were spent in agony.

To me, these providers shouldn't be using while caring for children. They need to wait until after hours or a different profession IMO.

I do find it very odd that this center has multiple providers with a card, seems fishy.
AmyKidsCo 01:10 PM 06-30-2014
IMO it should be treated like any other controlled substance - alcohol, narcotics, etc.

I had surgery last summer and was prescribed Vicodin for pain relief. I ended up not needing it except the first 2 nights when I went to bed, but I did email my licensor beforehand. She didn't know so she had to take it "up the ladder" and they said:

Rule 250.05(3)(h), in pertinent part, no provider shall be under the influence of a non-prescribed controlled substance, during the hours of the center's operation. She would not be in violation of that rule if she is taking prescription medication.

However, any medication, especially narcotics, with a warning label regarding drowsiness, mind altering, etc, (DCF 250.07(6)2.a. behavior raises reasonable concern for the safety of children) will want to be taken with extreme caution. In the event that by omission or commission (DCF 250.04((2)(j) that something would happen to a child in care while the provider is under the influence of narcotic medication would be a concern for licensing and would be closely reviewed.

The bottom line is that a provider needs to exercise sound judgment. Being under the influence of narcotic pain medication may not be a means of displaying good judgment when caring for up to 8 children.

Lyss 03:14 PM 06-30-2014
Yeah... this is in my area So I've been hearing about it on the news and from other providers. It is an in home.

I think it's ridiculous all around honestly. I don't care about the medical/recreation debate, but regulations say no one can be "in the house" while under the influence of a controlled substance, yet the state gave the license holder (aka the owner) a license with a provision allowing her to smoke on the property when kids are present? My biggest issues is that they have multiple cards in that house, so people that are supposedly there to be the alternate primary caregiver also can be out smoking. You'd think that the state wouldn't allow the alternate to also have a card...

To each their own in their off time but my kid would not be going back (honestly wouldn't be there in the first place).
TwinKristi 03:29 PM 06-30-2014
Where I live just about everyone and their mom has a card (we don't... Not saying that!) but I know a ton of people who do. I don't think it's really THAT big of a deal personally. I wish they would legalize it here and just get it over with. It needs to be regulated like alcohol and pain meds. I have taken half of a prescribed pain pill for a migraine during business hours but I wasn't impaired or incapable of caring for kids. If their license says it's ok, I don't understand why they're shutting them down... And really, what parent doesn't know this when bringing their child there? The medical card has to posted like a license does.
Mom of 4 03:31 PM 06-30-2014
That's crazy! Marajuana is legal in my state, but you don't go to WORKING WITH KIDS (or patients) like that! Wow! Even at my job now, I could get FIRED for going in under the influence. That includes alcohol.
midaycare 04:22 PM 06-30-2014
I didn't say anything about alcohol ... I didn't state my feelings on alcohol at all. I really don't think you can compare pot and alcohol. I'm not sure why people do.

Marijuana use is not safe for adolescents. It has been proven. I don't deny the benefit of medical marijuana.

And of course I will talk to my son. I use to teach middle schoolers to say no to drugs from a local program here. I did an abstinence program, too. I'm pretty comfortable talking about drugs, sex, stds, you name it.
midaycare 04:28 PM 06-30-2014
http://m.medicalxpress.com/news/2012...-deficits.html

That is the study on the effects of marijuana on adolescents, if anyone is interested. I can't answer as to whether or not the legalization would cause a greater problem in teens or not. Being illegal stopped ME from ever doing it, but then again, I'm not cool, so ...
Angelsj 04:43 PM 06-30-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I didn't say anything about alcohol ... I didn't state my feelings on alcohol at all. I really don't think you can compare pot and alcohol. I'm not sure why people do.

Marijuana use is not safe for adolescents. It has been proven. I don't deny the benefit of medical marijuana.

And of course I will talk to my son. I use to teach middle schoolers to say no to drugs from a local program here. I did an abstinence program, too. I'm pretty comfortable talking about drugs, sex, stds, you name it.
The point of including alcohol was to illustrate the ease of acquiring a drug based on whether or not it is legal. A drug that is regulated and taxed but legal is no harder or easier for a teen to acquire than one that is illegal. Legalizing marijuana for ADULTS would have NO significant impact on whether or not your son chooses to smoke. That is the logic flaw I was pointing out.

I am not even going to go into the flaws in that study, but it doesn't matter. If you don't want your son to smoke, being against legalization isn't going to make any difference. Talking to him will make the difference.
midaycare 05:16 PM 06-30-2014
The point of including alcohol was to illustrate the ease of acquiring a drug based on whether or not it is legal. A drug that is regulated and taxed but legal is no harder or easier for a teen to acquire than one that is illegal. Legalizing marijuana for ADULTS would have NO significant impact on whether or not your son chooses to smoke. That is the logic flaw I was pointing out.

I am not even going to go into the flaws in that study, but it doesn't matter. If you don't want your son to smoke, being against legalization isn't going to make any difference. Talking to him will make the difference.
It's just my opinion. We don't have to agree. I respect your views.
Wubby 05:23 PM 06-30-2014
Originally Posted by Lyss:
Yeah... this is in my area So I've been hearing about it on the news and from other providers. It is an in home.

I think it's ridiculous all around honestly. I don't care about the medical/recreation debate, but regulations say no one can be "in the house" while under the influence of a controlled substance, yet the state gave the license holder (aka the owner) a license with a provision allowing her to smoke on the property when kids are present? My biggest issues is that they have multiple cards in that house, so people that are supposedly there to be the alternate primary caregiver also can be out smoking. You'd think that the state wouldn't allow the alternate to also have a card...

To each their own in their off time but my kid would not be going back (honestly wouldn't be there in the first place).
I completely agree with you. My biggest problem with this is, nobody should be smoking anything around kids while in care. How did she get a provision for smoking when a provider in the next county over from me, a provider was completely shut down for smoking tobacco in another room while having kids (only reason I know this is because I ended up with 2 kids from the closed provider). No one should be smoking, drinking, or under any drug prescribed or non-prescribed that makes them altered in any way.

Here is the regs.
(8) No person shall smoke or use smokeless tobacco in the child care area during child care hours. No person shall smoke or use smokeless tobacco in motor vehicles while child care children are passengers.

(9) Alcohol and non-prescribed controlled substances shall not be consumed or stored in the child care area during child care hours. Staff or volunteers who appear to be under the influence of alcohol or non-prescribed controlled substances shall not be in the center during child care hours.
Angelsj 05:41 PM 06-30-2014
Originally Posted by Wubby:
I completely agree with you. My biggest problem with this is, nobody should be smoking anything around kids while in care. How did she get a provision for smoking when a provider in the next county over from me, a provider was completely shut down for smoking tobacco in another room while having kids (only reason I know this is because I ended up with 2 kids from the closed provider). No one should be smoking, drinking, or under any drug prescribed or non-prescribed that makes them altered in any way.

Here is the regs.
(8) No person shall smoke or use smokeless tobacco in the child care area during child care hours. No person shall smoke or use smokeless tobacco in motor vehicles while child care children are passengers.

(9) Alcohol and non-prescribed controlled substances shall not be consumed or stored in the child care area during child care hours. Staff or volunteers who appear to be under the influence of alcohol or non-prescribed controlled substances shall not be in the center during child care hours.
Not that I agree they should be doing it around the kids, but these are prescribed meds. Maybe that is what is going on. Still, more than one person?? Seems shady.
Lyss 11:16 PM 06-30-2014
Originally Posted by Wubby:

Here is the regs.

I have no idea how she got the provision, it blows my mind. I saw a copy of it and it's ridiculous.

Not that I agree they should be doing it around the kids, but these are prescribed meds. Maybe that is what is going on. Still, more than one person?? Seems shady.
The providers were saying that it was prescribed to them as a medication so they can use it as a prescribed medication therefore being exempt from the regulation BUT in Oregon even though you can get a card the state doesn't recognize it as a prescribed medication so it's legally still a non-prescribed controlled substance.
Reply Up