Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Advice for childcare in an apartment
Unregistered 06:41 PM 08-28-2015
I used to be a member on here a few years ago, but I can't remember my log in or password. Anyway, I just got married in May and we moved to a new town. I would like to provide childcare & preschool, but just starting out we are living in an apartment. I am at a huge disadvantage because of that but I only want up to 3 kids anyway until we get a home of our own. I have tried advertising on Face Book childcare groups, telling of my experience and CDA, that we stay active taking walks or going to the park, library, playground, etc. all of which is just a short walk (1-3 blocks) away. So the children would still be able to play outside even if I am in an apartment. But I don't know how else to advertise besides FB or how to make an apartment "okay" to the parents. I have a playroom all set up in centers and ready for children to enjoy...if only I could get some. I would appreciate any advice on making an apartment more "okay" and also ways to advertise since I'm not an actual daycare. Just mostly babysitting in my apartment during the day. BTW, the state regulations for my state allow for up to 5 children in the childcare home without needing to be licensed.
BabyMonkeys 06:47 PM 08-28-2015
try craigslist. That's where I found my families. Take great pics that show your setup. I would add that you take walks to the park and the library, etc. and then mention that you live in an apartment. I wouldn't focus on that aspect though.
Unregistered 07:17 PM 08-28-2015
Thanks for the response : ) I have tried Craigslist, but haven't had any luck with it. That's a good idea for posting pictures of the set-up though. That may help generate some interest from craigslist. I already tell about the walks and going to the playground and park and all. One problem is people ask my rates, and although I'm below the actual average daycare rates for this area, they still never respond again because they are looking for crazy low rates like $10/day because some babysitters will actually charge that little. Who knows what kind of care they are getting, but to parents it's almost as if it's all about the cheapest rate.

I really miss working with children, but I need to make it worth my time and cost to operate. I am considering just going back to working in a daycare under someone else so I can at least be with the little ones still : (

I have been trying for three months now with no luck. I had one school age girl this summer but I've had her since she was 15 months, and she's in school now. And I had one who was supposed to start two weeks ago for only three days/week but the mom keeps changing things (like only needing two days now, and needing me later than she originally said). And twice she didn't show up on her start date. First time was the excuse that her new job changed her start date to the next Monday. But that Monday came and she didn't show up and finally text me an HOUR later, after I text asking if she was still coming. The excuse that time was that there was a wreck and the traffic was all backed up and she wouldn't be going to work because of it. Then she text later that day saying she would be going on vacation for two weeks, would let me know when she'd need me after that, and was sorry things had been so crazy with getting started. But I suspect she has someone else in mind already, or is looking for someone else. And even if not, I'm not sure I want to deal with the unpredictability.

So anyway, I just don't seem to be having any luck.
CalCare 07:17 PM 08-28-2015
Family childcare homes are often in apartments. There's nothing that is not real about your childcare. Don't feel like you aren't really providing childcare just because of the building. I wouldn't even mention it being an apartment. They'll figure that out.

In advertising, I would say exactly what you do have:

Small family childcare opening in October! Experienced and educated childcare provider with CDA! New hands-on experiences provided every day! Healthy meals provided. Daily adventures to playgrounds, parks, and the library. In this small group, children all receive individual attention and special care. Limited space available- call or email today: (###) ###-### emailaddress@whatever.com

Go girl!
Unregistered 07:28 PM 08-28-2015
CalCare, I love that wording! Thank you! And thank you for the encouragement. I didn't mention, the apartments have indoor entrances, rather than outdoor, and it doesn't look (or smell) very appealing as you first enter. But once they get to our actual apartment, it's really nice and clean. So I think they'd like it once they got inside our apartment, but may have an issue on their first (upon entering the building) impression.
Controlled Chaos 07:42 PM 08-28-2015
I did childcare in an apartment for 2 years. I never mentioned it was an apartment until they needed directions for an interview I got clients through Craigslist and meeting people in my neighborhood and starting a conversation. I would especially get chatty with neighbors with kids in your apartment. My first several clients lived in the complex too.
permanentvacation 09:15 PM 08-28-2015
I did licensed home daycare in an apartment for about 3 years. I lowered my rates and got completely full quickly. I lowered my rates because I didn't have a fenced in yard like pretty much every daycare provider does here. Basically, when you looked (a literal visual take) of my apartment versus a single family home with the nice big fenced in yard with all their toys, there was no comparison. However, I did and still do much more with the children as far as a preschool educational program, giving them one on one attention, and things like that.

So, you might want to lower your rates a little to accommodate for not being in a single family home with your own fenced in yard.
Former Teacher 10:11 AM 08-29-2015
You may also want to check your lease. I know in my state it's against the law for apartments to have home based businesses including childcare
LysesKids 01:01 PM 08-29-2015
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
You may also want to check your lease. I know in my state it's against the law for apartments to have home based businesses including childcare
This could be true, however where I am, my landlord (lot only, I own the house) tried to say I was breaking my lease by doing legally license exempt - that I was a home business; according to state licensing & zoning laws I am NOT considered a small home based business because I am NOT required to obtain a license for babysitting just a few kids - doing licensed childcare in a Mobile home park (5 or more kids) requires a variance in my county which I don't have to get - that would make me become a small home based business

I also have talked to all previous landlords of rentals ( like 10 years worth) before hand, some were Apt's, and asked if babysitting a few kids was ok in their eyes because I wasn't about to become a licensed childcare. Most were fine with it because I had liability insurance thru my renters/homeowners policy, Plus some of my properties I actually improved with flowers & small gardens (lawns of duplexes in 2 places)
Unregistered 03:26 PM 08-29-2015
I already have really cheap rates. I'm at least $30/week less than even the cheapest daycares around here. The problem I find is they want to get it for dirt cheap because so many other babysitters will do it extremely cheap (but not provide very good quality of care). But I provide a good quality environment, preschool curriculum, meals and snacks, educational "learn through play" toys and materials, etc. If I lowered my rates anymore, I wouldn't be able to afford to take care of children. I'm also afraid if I lowered them too much I'd end up with the families that get kicked out of all the other daycares :-P But parents never contact me again after they ask my rates, even before they know I live in an apartment.
Since I would have so few children, anyone else would just consider it babysitting. But I asked the owner of the apartment before we moved in if I could take care of children during the day, and he was fine with it.
Thanks for the responses everyone!
Thriftylady 03:48 PM 08-29-2015
Where is your apartment? Do parents have to park in a huge lot and walk up three flights of stairs down a long hallway? Parents are lazy, that may be the turn off. Heck I have seen parents who don't even want to walk from the driveway into my house and wanted me to let the kids just walk in and out. NOPE!
Unregistered 07:55 PM 08-29-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Where is your apartment? Do parents have to park in a huge lot and walk up three flights of stairs down a long hallway? Parents are lazy, that may be the turn off. Heck I have seen parents who don't even want to walk from the driveway into my house and wanted me to let the kids just walk in and out. NOPE!
Haha! Yes they are lazy. No, it's a small parking lot (there's only two apartment buildings, one behind the other with only 8 units in each), and they do have to climb one flight of steps, but our apartment is right behind that flight of steps.
But I can't even get parents here to even SEE the apartment. Goodness, if I'm even on block out of their way on their way to work, it seems I'm "not conveniently located". Okay, that's a little sarcasm there. I am actually very conveniently located in my town, so I don't get the problem. But if I get any interest the family is usually located in the town right next to me, about a ten minute drive. But the interstate is right down the road from me, so they could drop off and hop right on the interstate. I even tried using that on my advertisement, saying I'm conveniently located just down the road from x interstate.
Unregistered 12:33 AM 08-30-2015
Maybe add in something that makes you special. Could you say 'specialty classes' and maybe make those: cooking, Spanish, music and movement... Idk... Just a thought.
Thriftylady 07:31 AM 08-30-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Haha! Yes they are lazy. No, it's a small parking lot (there's only two apartment buildings, one behind the other with only 8 units in each), and they do have to climb one flight of steps, but our apartment is right behind that flight of steps.
But I can't even get parents here to even SEE the apartment. Goodness, if I'm even on block out of their way on their way to work, it seems I'm "not conveniently located". Okay, that's a little sarcasm there. I am actually very conveniently located in my town, so I don't get the problem. But if I get any interest the family is usually located in the town right next to me, about a ten minute drive. But the interstate is right down the road from me, so they could drop off and hop right on the interstate. I even tried using that on my advertisement, saying I'm conveniently located just down the road from x interstate.
I will tell you that a year after restarting, I have had months with no phone calls. It can be hard part of it is where I live. Someone on her suggested using facebook advertising I have been trying it and have had some contacts from it in the last few days I have been trying it! If you don't have a business Facebook, set one up and try it!
Reply Up