Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Carpet Cleaning
misol 09:23 PM 04-22-2010
OK, so I have a no shoes rule and I only allow food and drinks in the kitchen. So why do my carpets look the way they do???? They are are beige so EVERYTHING shows up on them. And of course they look especially awful whenever I have a interview or whenever my mother in law comes over
I can't afford to have my carpets professionally cleaned every other month! I try to spot clean with Resolve as I notice major stains but that doesn't seem to be helping much because every day I notice a new stain that wasn't there the day before!

How often does everyone have to have their carpets cleaned? I saw a picture on here where someone (can't remember who) had vinyl flooring that looked great. Eventually I would like to pull up the carpets and do that because it would be soooo much easier for me to keep clean. Until then though, I need to keep my carpets looking halfway decent. Any suggestions for brands of carpet shampooers that work well and are easy to use? Anyone use those Bissell spot cleaners? Are they any good?

Thanks.
Michael 09:29 PM 04-22-2010
You can rent a carpet cleaner from the Home Depot:
http://www.homedepotrents.com/diyToo...et_cleaner.asp

Also, many grocery stores rent them like this one:
http://rugdoctor.com/

They are industrial strength and clean very well.
QualiTcare 09:51 PM 04-22-2010
after i had my own 2 kids, and before i started keeping other children - i just came to terms (kinda) with the fact that everything i own will be destroyed - lol.

i will have nothing nice for about 15 more years - if i'm lucky!

i have no good advice about carpets, but if anyone knows how to get a man to put clothes in a basket instead of the floor (right beside the basket) then i will pay you for your secret. also, wiping hair from the sink? is this just me, or is it typical? i'm thinking of denying all marital priveleges and starting a behavior chart for him at this point.
mac60 02:49 AM 04-23-2010
I clean my carpets about 3 to 4 times per year. I bought a carpet shampooer and do it myself. I am sure you can find one for under $150/$200, and it would be well worth it.

Since I don't know your dc setup, I would suggest some type of area rug in front of your front door if you don't have a waterproof foyer, all parents stay on mine with their shoes. If we go out the backdoor, I have a rug there too.

I don't have a problem with the kids destroying things because they pretty much sit on the dc chairs or floor, and I don't allow food or drink out of the kitchen either. I really haven't had a problem with dc kids ruining things like my furniture and carpets. I do keep a throw/sheet on the seats of my furniture, and I spread 2 king size blanks on the family room floor for the kids to sit on/play on/and their nap mats go on top of these each day.

I was just talking to one of my dc moms yesterday because she said she was getting her carpets professionally cleaned. She said the guy told her to us white vinegar and water if a stain gets on the carpet, as Resove and carpet cleaners "set" the stain.
TGT09 04:38 AM 04-23-2010
I was told that you should have your carpets cleaned with some sort of steam cleaner (professional, store borrowed or bought) every 3 months in order to remove all the germs and traffic marks. We bought a pretty nice one for under $300. I know that's not on most people's lists to buy or in the budget but it's certainly paid for itself over the past few years. However, like Michael said you can rent one from Home Depot and even some grocery stores (I think it's like $40-50 if I remember correctly).

We just cleaned ours a few weeks ago and it almost wants to make you puke after seeing what comes out of your carpets.
MN Mom 05:18 AM 04-23-2010
We are putting in Laminate Hardwood (cheater wood as I call it) in our Livingroom (just finished), Kitchen (it had carpet when we bought the place YUCK) and our Family room. I'll toss some pictures up of the livingroom later today after I get them off my camera. It looks VERY nice and will be much easier to clean than the white carpet I had in there before. Allure is the brand from Home Depot. It cost us $1,400 for enough to do the 3 rooms in our house. The livingroom and family room are large rooms, kitchen is a medium size room.
tymaboy 05:37 AM 04-23-2010
I am assuming the kids have socks on during care hours. I have a must wear socks or slipper rule (nothing that has been worn outside) When I 1st started I had a family that the kids never wore shoes or anything on their feet & they would come in with black feet. Then the dirt would rub off on my floors & furniture.
mac60 05:59 AM 04-23-2010
I have actually washed kids feet in the morning because they were so dirty. (Just think what their beds must look like) Yuck. I too have thought about wood laminate when the time comes for the living and dining rooms, not sure I want it in the family room though. While I know we can put down area rugs, just isn't the same as carpet. It is gross the dirt that comes out in my carpet cleaner too, and I vacuum daily.
SunflowerMama 06:29 AM 04-23-2010
We have the Bissel Little Green Machine for spot treatment and it works really well. We have all beige carpet as well. We have a lot of different guys/companies (Dallas metroplex area) that carpet clean in the area so prices are very reasonable. I can usually get 3-4 rooms done for right around $100 (someone is always running a special) so I just do it when the carpet starts to look a little messy....every 3 or so months.
MN Mom 07:02 AM 04-23-2010

Here's our finished livingroom. We converted it to a livingroom / diningroom so we can do the Kitchen next. I like the table in there, so I may leave it that way and add more counterspace to our Kitchen.

*Image is Moderated so you cannot view it yet...bah!!!
MarinaVanessa 07:23 AM 04-23-2010
I used to rent the shampooer (Rug Doctor) from Lowe's which is about the same price as Home Depot but after a while we just bought one ourselves. We have a Bisell that works great. I thought about how much I paid each time to rent the shampooer (about $20 for every 24 hours plus the cost of shampoo) and figured it would be a better investment to just buy one.

Until then you can try a product called Folex. I swear by this stuff. It comes in a white bottle and has purple-ish Red-ish writing. It comes in a spray bottle or in a large container. I use it on EVERYTHING! Clothes, carpet, curtains, couches etc. It cleans out blood (if you get it right away), barf, pet stains, ball-point pen, crayon (from couches) etc. I love this stuff. There are only a few products that I swear by (kirby vacuum, magic erasers, etc) and this is one of them.
TGT09 07:35 AM 04-23-2010
Magic Erasers are my best friend. :-)
Childminder 07:42 AM 04-23-2010
A carpet cleaning company once told me that shampoos especially the rinse agents are oil/wax based and they attract dirt which is great for them. He recommends rinsing with vinegar water to cut the soap. It does make a difference. It's kinda like fabric softener does the same to your clothes/washer and some shampoos/conditioners will do it to your hair.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 09:12 AM 04-23-2010
I have midnight blue carpet in my living/play room. I wanted dark so as not to show stains. I have had many different shampoo'ers over the years. I have a bisel pro heat right now. it is nice,.. Ive had it several years. I clean carpets whenever I have a weekend we dont have plans, lol. I dont have a schedule. I just get to thinking,.. hey ,.. we are going camping this weekend, it takes me about an hour to clean carpets,.. so I do it right before we leave, and they dry before we are even home.
Daycare Mommy 11:01 AM 04-23-2010
I have my own carpet shampooer that I got for under $200. I can't imagine having a daycare (or even just my own 2 kids) without it. It's a lifesaver! Here's one thats reasonably priced and has good reviews.

Originally Posted by Childminder:
A carpet cleaning company once told me that shampoos especially the rinse agents are oil/wax based and they attract dirt which is great for them. He recommends rinsing with vinegar water to cut the soap. It does make a difference. It's kinda like fabric softener does the same to your clothes/washer and some shampoos/conditioners will do it to your hair.
I've not had a problem before, but this last time I shampooed it got dirty again FAST. And I was really careful about no eating or drinking on it and shoes off too. I was going to do it with straight hot this weekend and no shampoo, but I'll try mixing in some vinegar as well. Thanks for the tip!
sahm2three 12:44 PM 04-23-2010
I was going to add the same advice given. I use vineager and water or baking soda and water on spots. Also, my family uses essential oils so I will add a few drops of one of those for great smell (and therapeutic properties!). Soaps attract dirt, gives it something to cling to. Good luck!
MN Mom 01:51 PM 04-23-2010
What solution of water to vinegar do you use? Or water to baking soda, for that matter. Also, do you use this solution in a steam cleaner or do the blot meathod? I have some carpets left upstairs and on the stairs that could use cleaning.

Thanks!
misol 02:26 PM 04-23-2010
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I used to rent the shampooer (Rug Doctor) from Lowe's which is about the same price as Home Depot but after a while we just bought one ourselves. We have a Bisell that works great. I thought about how much I paid each time to rent the shampooer (about $20 for every 24 hours plus the cost of shampoo) and figured it would be a better investment to just buy one.

Until then you can try a product called Folex. I swear by this stuff. It comes in a white bottle and has purple-ish Red-ish writing. It comes in a spray bottle or in a large container. I use it on EVERYTHING! Clothes, carpet, curtains, couches etc. It cleans out blood (if you get it right away), barf, pet stains, ball-point pen, crayon (from couches) etc. I love this stuff. There are only a few products that I swear by (kirby vacuum, magic erasers, etc) and this is one of them.
Yes, I think it will be more economical for me to go ahead and purchase one.

Oh and I absolutely LOVE Folex!!! We always keep some on hand and I use that to spot clean as well.

Originally Posted by Childminder:
Interesting. I will try to remember this.
sahm2three 02:38 PM 04-23-2010
When I am using baking soda, I make a paste for spots. It acts like a soft scrub (without the harmful chemicals). When I use vineager and water, I put about two tablespoons of vineager in a spray bottle (not sure about the size, maybe 20 oz or so). I also use a natural cleaning product called Thieves cleaner. It smells divine! Smells like cinnamon. I use it on EVERYTHING! Toilets, counters, floors, windows, EVERYTHING!
Childminder 05:48 PM 04-23-2010
I use a cup of white distilled vinegar to a gallon of hot water in my steam carpet cleaner and go over the area that I just shampooed. I don't use the shampoo full strength either. Kind of like dishwasher detergent where about half of the recommended amount works just fine and lasts twice as long. Use as hot of water as you can.
fctjc1979 06:03 PM 04-23-2010
We have beige carpet that shows everything too. We have a Kirby vacuum cleaner that also shampoos carpets. Depending on the time of year, we shampoo our carpets anywhere from once a week to once a month. Unfortunately, I couldnt tell you how much the Kirby cost since my husband had it before I married him.
originalkat 08:21 PM 04-23-2010
Thank goodness we have wood floors and vinyl in the kitchen. Only our bedrooms have carpet.
Daycare Mommy 03:53 AM 04-24-2010
Originally Posted by originalkat:
Thank goodness we have wood floors and vinyl in the kitchen. Only our bedrooms have carpet.
I envy you! I fantasize about laminate and vinyl flooring every time I have to pull the shampooer out! Carpets, no matter how often you clean them, are so dirty.
originalkat 04:48 AM 04-24-2010
Originally Posted by Daycare Mommy:
I envy you! I fantasize about laminate and vinyl flooring every time I have to pull the shampooer out! Carpets, no matter how often you clean them, are so dirty.
This is the first house we have lived in that has had wood floors. I was worried about dust/dirt in the corners and having to clean the floors instead of vacuuming(which takes much less time). But we have been here two years and I am so glad we have them. I deep clean by moving all the furniture in a room every 2 months or so so I can get all the dirt that is in corners and under the furniture. When I dust mop I see ALL the stuff I sweep up every day and think about that being in carpet. AHHH!I think even though the kids have their shoes off it is just the fact that all that wear and traffic on the floors takes a toll(especially on carpet). Here is a pic of our floors.

Daycare Mommy 06:01 AM 04-24-2010
Originally Posted by originalkat:
This is the first house we have lived in that has had wood floors. I was worried about dust/dirt in the corners and having to clean the floors instead of vacuuming(which takes much less time). But we have been here two years and I am so glad we have them. I deep clean by moving all the furniture in a room every 2 months or so so I can get all the dirt that is in corners and under the furniture. When I dust mop I see ALL the stuff I sweep up every day and think about that being in carpet. AHHH!I think even though the kids have their shoes off it is just the fact that all that wear and traffic on the floors takes a toll(especially on carpet). Here is a pic of our floors.
Wow Kat! You have an absolutely beautiful house! The floors are just gorgeous. Are those hardwood or laminate? Now I'm also envious of the fact that your house isn't 100% daycare. I wish we had the space to make at least one room in ours look like a normal house. And is that the same flooring you have in your daycare area? It's really nice!
mac60 06:28 AM 04-24-2010
Very nice floors ladies. MN Mom, I love the cottage look of your home. Kat, your floors and white woodwork are beautiful.
Daycare Mommy 07:44 AM 04-24-2010
Originally Posted by mac60:
Very nice floors ladies. MN Mom, I love the cottage look of your home. Kat, your floors and white woodwork are beautiful.
Didn't mean to not acknowledge MN Mom's pic .. but I can't see it. Something about it being moderated? Boo!
originalkat 12:54 PM 04-24-2010
Thanks for the compliments guys. That is very sweet. Our home was built in 1900 and they are the original heart pine floors. They were covered in red carpet when we moved in and a friend of ours re-did them when we moved in.

I try to keep all the daycare stuff in ONE area which is right off the kitchen. The kitchen and daycare area are vinyl. The dining, living, and halls are wood. And like I said before the bedrooms are carpet.
Michael 01:08 PM 04-24-2010
Didn't mean to not acknowledge MN Mom's pic .. but I can't see it. Something about it being moderated? Boo!
We are not moderating pictures. I can see MN's picture. There was originally a problem with the image address that I fixed.
Daycare Mommy 01:34 PM 04-24-2010
Originally Posted by MN Mom:

Here's our finished livingroom. We converted it to a livingroom / diningroom so we can do the Kitchen next. I like the table in there, so I may leave it that way and add more counterspace to our Kitchen.

*Image is Moderated so you cannot view it yet...bah!!!
Originally Posted by michael:
We are not moderating pictures. I can see MN's picture. There was originally a problem with the image address that I fixed.
That is too weird. I still can't see it, but I go to quote the message and I can see the IMG code in there. I even cut and paste the address in the IMG brackets into the address bar of my browser and still nothing. Maybe it's just my dinosaur computer being goofy again. Sorry for the boo, Michael, since apparently it's just me!
gkids09 01:53 PM 04-24-2010
That is too weird. I still can't see it, but I go to quote the message and I can see the IMG code in there. I even cut and paste the address in the IMG brackets into the address bar of my browser and still nothing. Maybe it's just my dinosaur computer being goofy again. Sorry for the boo, Michael, since apparently it's just me!
Not just you...I can't see it either. I am getting the same message you are.
Michael 02:56 PM 04-24-2010
Originally Posted by gkids09:
That is strange. Can anyone see the pictures? It seems like originalkat was able to post her picture, and I can see it. Let me know; I would like to resolve this problem since pictures offer so much to this forum.
Childminder 04:20 PM 04-24-2010
Originally Posted by gkids09:
Can't see MNMoms pic either.
originalkat 04:24 PM 04-24-2010
I can see it. (And I really like the way the Living and Dining room are combined by the way.)
originalkat 04:26 PM 04-24-2010
That is strange. Can anyone see the pictures? It seems like originalkat was able to post her picture, and I can see it. Let me know; I would like to resolve this problem since pictures offer so much to this forum.
I agree! Pictures do add SO much. Ever since I figured out how to post them I have been posting them for every post that I have a picture that applies to the topic. I dont know about anyone else, but I LOVE seeing other peoples pictures. It makes what we are talking about real.
misol 10:05 PM 04-24-2010
I cannot see her pic either
Michael 10:55 PM 04-24-2010
Originally Posted by misol:
I cannot see her pic either
OK, I think I figured it out. MN Mom was correct in that the picture was in her forum Album and needed to be moderated. I removed the moderation for future Album photos for members. I learn something new everyday.

You should all see it now. Please let me know if you can't.

If anyone wants to use your personal Forum Picture Album. Click on the Community link at the top and then click on Pictures and Albums.
Daycare Mommy 05:16 AM 04-25-2010
Yay! I can see it now. Lovely home MN Mom! That is the exact color I want once we get the funds together to rip out our carpet and put some laminate in. It's light, but still warm. Thanks for sharing.
misol 12:15 AM 05-09-2010
I bought a Bissell Pro Heat steam cleaner today! Took me about 4 hours to do the 3 daycare areas. Several areas were heavily soiled so I had to keep going over it but now my carpets look great (for now anyway). I am planning to clean them every 3 months or so and I will limit myself to one room per weekend since I definitely overexerted myself today.

The best part is that the inlaws are coming over for Mother's Day and for once I am not embarassed about the carpet - woo hoo!
Former Teacher 06:42 AM 05-09-2010
Would you believe that the BEST spot remover I have ever used is one from the Dollar Store? It is called AWESOME and trust me it works wonders!

Not to get graphic or anything but a little over 2 years ago, I had an accident with a soup can lid and I had to get 9 stitches on my toe. Well there was blood all over my carpet. My mother recommended this. She and my dad own rent houses and they use this. Anyway, my husband used it on the carpet and it cleaned it up beautifully! I have been using it since
Admin 04:22 PM 05-09-2010
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
Would you believe that the BEST spot remover I have ever used is one from the Dollar Store? It is called AWESOME and trust me it works wonders!

Not to get graphic or anything but a little over 2 years ago, I had an accident with a soup can lid and I had to get 9 stitches on my toe. Well there was blood all over my carpet. My mother recommended this. She and my dad own rent houses and they use this. Anyway, my husband used it on the carpet and it cleaned it up beautifully! I have been using it since
Found here on Amazon but the price is $4.75
Was it $1 at the Dollar Store?

La's Totally Awesome All Purpose Concentrated Cleaner and Degreaser- 20 Fl Oz

Former Teacher 05:05 PM 05-09-2010
Originally Posted by Admin:
Found here on Amazon but the price is $4.75
Was it $1 at the Dollar Store?

La's Totally Awesome All Purpose Concentrated Cleaner and Degreaser- 20 Fl Oz

Yes that's the one...I have it at my local Dollar Tree store here in TX
Carole's Daycare 07:44 PM 05-09-2010
I hire professional cleaners 4 x per year at $89 a shot- and I have my own Bissel I use in between if there's an Uh Oh. Kids arent allowed food or beverage outside the kitchen, & no shoes, but they are just grubby lol! I put in new carpet when my son was born. Now it really needs replaced, and I have really been considering the laminate flooring too. I put that upstairs in my bedroom a few years ago when I remodeled while my hubby was overseas.
QualiTcare 09:15 PM 05-09-2010
i wonder if that totally awesome stuff is vinegar + water solution..

when my dog was house training, i asked the vet what the best stuff was i could buy to clean the carpet where she'd had accidents, and she told me not to buy anything, but to mix vinegar and water.

i looked online and a lot of people reccomended that, too.

i bought a huge bottle of vinegar at the dollar tree and did that. since that solution is only a dollar, it makes me think that's probably exactly what it is.

i could be wrong though.
misol 10:31 AM 05-10-2010

Hmm, I will check for it the next time I visit the $ store.
QualiTcare 07:07 PM 05-11-2010
so, i bought some of that totally awesome stuff the other day from the dollar tree.

i wasn't even looking for it, but i remembered seeing it here so i got some.

it says on the bottle it cleans blood, juice, etc. and i figured it would since i'd heard good things about it here.

well, my son spilled one of those grape "lil hug" drinks on the carpet just a little bit ago and i hate to say but it didn't work - and that's pretty much kool aid.

it's the first time i've ever bought those drinks and probably the last! i have a lovely purple spot on my carpet now!
mac60 04:00 AM 05-12-2010
I have been told to use simple vinegar and water, as many of the stain products "set" the stain and it will never come out.
Former Teacher 04:32 PM 05-12-2010
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
so, i bought some of that totally awesome stuff the other day from the dollar tree.

it says on the bottle it cleans blood, juice, etc. and i figured it would since i'd heard good things about it here.

well, my son spilled one of those grape "lil hug" drinks on the carpet just a little bit ago and i hate to say but it didn't work - and that's pretty much kool aid.

it's the first time i've ever bought those drinks and probably the last! i have a lovely purple spot on my carpet now!
Sorry Qualitcare...I have never had a problem with it before and I will still continue to recommend it
Michael 05:00 PM 05-12-2010
Sorry Qualitcare...I have never had a problem with it before and I will still continue to recommend it
Definitely cheap enough to give it a try.
QualiTcare 08:58 PM 05-12-2010
awesome. it didn't work for me. i'm sitting beside a purple spot as we speak.

i would reccomend it too if it always worked for me, but i'd also share if it didn't work for me - and that was my experience.

you're right michael - it was only a dollar so it didn't matter. i'll still use it, but for the grape drink - it didn't work.
Daycare Mommy 02:54 AM 05-13-2010
If it worked on blood, but not artificial purple drink then it sounds like it's good at least for organic stains. I'll try to find a bottle here to add to my arsenal of stain fighting. Thanks for the recommendation Former Teacher!
Former Teacher 04:17 PM 05-13-2010
If it worked on blood, but not artificial purple drink then it sounds like it's good at least for organic stains. I'll try to find a bottle here to add to my arsenal of stain fighting. Thanks for the recommendation Former Teacher!
No problem DCM! That's what we are here for!

*hugs*
penders627 10:48 PM 11-08-2010
I am in a desperate need for the carpet cleaning services and I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for this? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

carpet cleaning maryland
penders627 11:19 PM 11-08-2010
Hey MN mom you have got such a nice cleaning and i exactly want cleaning in this manner. so please suggest me from where should i start? It will be really appreciated.

maryland carpet cleaning
broncomom1973 01:07 PM 11-12-2010
Well, Im pretty lucky because dh owns a carpet cleaning business and I do have my carpets cleaned on average at least once a month, and sometimes even more often. As for the vinegar, my husband uses it in his rinse water too. He says that it rinses out sticky residue if used with hot water. He says it helps remove the sticky residue that spot removers like resolve cause and on light colored carpets the low ph level helps them dry to a white bright color. With high ph they dry a brown, yellowy color. But low ph can cause certain stains like ink to set. Whenever one of my kids spills something that stains, he usually uses oxy clean. He keeps it in a spray bottle and treats everyday stains with it until he uses his truck mount carpet cleaner to do the real job. Now, I do know that he buys the stuff (oxy)in bulk and dont know exactly what ratio he dilutes it to so as to not bleach the carpet, but whatever he does works well. I also know that he tells me it is hard to mess up with the oxy clean, meaning that even I wont mess up with that, lol.
broncomom1973 04:13 PM 11-12-2010
Wow, didnt realize the original thread was so old, lol.
care-care 06:16 AM 11-13-2010

Hey I had red hawiaan punch on my carpet from my son once and this is how I got it out. You take Blue dawn. and water in a bowl.. take a white rag or wash cloth. must be white. dip in in the solution. ring out some and lay it on the spot. here comes the fun part take your clothes iron and put it on the spot heated up of course and sit right there rinsing your rag out and adding more soapy water solution and heating it i have no marks what so ever of my red mess that was huge and in the middle of my floor.
DCMomOf3 11:17 AM 11-14-2010
I just had mine cleaned today. The guy said (for a normal household with kids/pets) you should clean your carpets every 12-18 months. He also said Hydrogen Peroxide is a great residue free spot cleaner.
DancingQueen 04:20 AM 11-15-2010
Originally Posted by :
You take Blue dawn. and water in a bowl.
Who knew blue Dawn was so incredible? It was just recommended for my dogs fleas!
BentleysBands 04:48 AM 11-15-2010
i own my own steam cleaner and sadly clean mine once a week LOL...we have a small home so ALL of the carpet is 'high traffic' areas. plus we have LOTS of animals. i'm pretty anal with cleaning. i see one spot that needs cleaning and my OCD kicks in and i'm doing the WHOLE living room

we go thru 3-4 steam cleaners a year. I'm thikning of getting the Rug Doctor but its over $500 and i just dont have that right now.
care-care 04:56 AM 11-15-2010
Well blue dawn is incredible because I used a carpet cleaner and tried to cleanout the red punch no luck I used carpet sprays for spot remover no luck and then did the blue dawn and the iron thingy and incredibly it all came out! It was a job took awhile but I was watching a movie and it all came out and I was thinking I was going to have to replace the carpet in that spot so if you have a reddish spot try it
QualiTcare 05:14 AM 11-15-2010
Originally Posted by cvankampen:
Hey I had red hawiaan punch on my carpet from my son once and this is how I got it out. You take Blue dawn. and water in a bowl.. take a white rag or wash cloth. must be white. dip in in the solution. ring out some and lay it on the spot. here comes the fun part take your clothes iron and put it on the spot heated up of course and sit right there rinsing your rag out and adding more soapy water solution and heating it i have no marks what so ever of my red mess that was huge and in the middle of my floor.

thanks - i'll have to remember that! i still have that spot on my carpet (probably too late now for that trick to work) and i still have my totally awesome cleaning solution!
missnikki 07:24 AM 11-15-2010
I have a 'swear by' stain remover, too. It's called "SOILLOVE" and it comes in a lime green flat squeeze bottle. I get it from the dollar store in my area, but they also sell it at the Stater Bros next door for $1.89.

I heard about it from the first Preschool teacher thatI ever interned with, who's son had a science fair experiment which was to find the best stain remover. This one beat out the others by a longshot. It really works well on coffee, blood, yucky stuff, etc...
broncomom1973 10:37 AM 11-15-2010
Originally Posted by DCMomOf3:
I just had mine cleaned today. The guy said (for a normal household with kids/pets) you should clean your carpets every 12-18 months. He also said Hydrogen Peroxide is a great residue free spot cleaner.
Dh uses peroxide alot too. He buys it in bulk and I dont know what the strength of it is, but it is pretty stout stuff. Whatever he uses can really burn your skin if not careful. From what I understand, hydrogen peroxide is one of the main ingredients in oxyclean. My dh recommends cleaning every 6 months for kids/pets to his customers. Many of them do it more often and some of them do it less often. As I said, we do ours about monthly on average.
Jesmin 01:45 AM 11-17-2010
I would highly recommend all star carpet cleaning.....the carpet cleaning is as necessary as a house cleaning...
QualiTcare 08:55 AM 11-17-2010
Originally Posted by broncomom1973:
Dh uses peroxide alot too. He buys it in bulk and I dont know what the strength of it is, but it is pretty stout stuff. Whatever he uses can really burn your skin if not careful. From what I understand, hydrogen peroxide is one of the main ingredients in oxyclean. My dh recommends cleaning every 6 months for kids/pets to his customers. Many of them do it more often and some of them do it less often. As I said, we do ours about monthly on average.
i was just reading about peroxide online bc i was talking to a friend about having my teeth whitened and they told me to use peroxide at home (not that they're so bad, but they could always be pearlier!) so, i googled it and read a list of things peroxide can be used for - pretty crazy!
misol 09:40 AM 11-17-2010
i was just reading about peroxide online bc i was talking to a friend about having my teeth whitened and they told me to use peroxide at home (not that they're so bad, but they could always be pearlier!) so, i googled it and read a list of things peroxide can be used for - pretty crazy!
Pretty much EVERYTHING!
laundrymom 10:04 AM 11-17-2010
ok,.. who started this thread!~?!?!?! ugh,..lolol.. guess who had to clean carpet last night>?>?????? YEP ME!!!! ugh. lol. pukey little sweetheart. lol. I love them but wow, cant wait til they can aim their ick. lol
Unregistered 05:17 PM 04-30-2016
I tried the hydrogen peroxide tip on a few stains that have been there for years. Dabbed some on, let it sit, then used a clean rag to wipe from L to R and bottom to top of the stain. They are gone! No more hiding them with toys and furniture
Conoad 09:18 PM 04-30-2016
I use Chem-dry. They will come back and clean stains for free between cleanings if you can't get them out. The cleaning process also applies a stain resistant product.
Leigh 08:23 AM 05-01-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I tried the hydrogen peroxide tip on a few stains that have been there for years. Dabbed some on, let it sit, then used a clean rag to wipe from L to R and bottom to top of the stain. They are gone! No more hiding them with toys and furniture
I put peroxide in every tank of cleaner. It makes a big difference. Half a bottle of peroxide, 2 oz. of cleaner, and about 2-3 oz. of Odoban. Works better for me on my light carpets. I can't wait until I can afford to tear those carpets out of my house!
Josiegirl 02:10 AM 10-15-2016
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I put peroxide in every tank of cleaner. It makes a big difference. Half a bottle of peroxide, 2 oz. of cleaner, and about 2-3 oz. of Odoban. Works better for me on my light carpets. I can't wait until I can afford to tear those carpets out of my house!
Ooooh does this work? I know this is from quite a few months ago. I need to try this!! I've heard of Odoban but not sure what it is. Is it to deodorize?
Unregistered 05:46 AM 10-15-2016
I tend to clean mine every 6 weeks. Most of my home, including the playroom, is tiled. However, when I have mixed age kids here or keep them during evening hours they often come into my living room area which is not tiled YET. I bought a Rug Doctor. I got it online for a little over $200.

I do use large area rugs in playroom for noise reduction. I shampoo them at least once a month. I am thinking about adding a new policy that children must wear a pair of safety socks while here and leaving their shoes at the door. I like to take the kids shoes off while here anyway, but never thought about creating that as a policy. And for my non-compliant parents I could have some here that they are required to purchase if they forget.

BTW, Michael, I still can't see the first picture. I am not complaining, but was just letting you know. It may be because I am a new member.
cassiesue 05:52 AM 10-15-2016
This is what I see as far as the first pic: *Image is Moderated so you cannot view it yet...bah!!!

I can see the second pic and the floors are gorgeous!!!
Pestle 11:24 AM 10-16-2016
Broadloom carpet is a huge nuisance. Sure, it's the cheapest floor covering available, but it traps allergens, so your day care kids will be more likely to have runny noses. It also means YOU are responsible for cleanup, since kids can't mop up spills easily like they can on a hard or resilient flooring. You have to work FAST when there's a spill on broadloom carpet. And worst of all, liquid and grit work their way down into the fibers where nothing but a deep, commercial-style cleaning will get them out.

Depending on how your house is set up, for most people it's definitely worth spending a weekend tearing it up and installing another flooring, instead of spending your money a little bit at a time having it cleaned.

When we prepped to convert our bonus room into a day care space, we peeled all the carpet up, scraped up the decayed carpet pad, and threw down discount-store commercial (loop, not cut pile) carpet tiles over the original ugly, cracked orange vinyl composition tile. (VCT is a great solution for day care, by the way--ours was just too old to look nice. You do have to perform maintenance on it, though.) It took a while to figure out the best tile layout to avoid having little snippets at the corners, and it was worth the extra effort.

So all told, we redid the bonus room flooring, 12'x20', for around $200!

Interior7.jpg

DSC04649.jpg

DSC04653.jpg

DSC04669.jpg
Attached:
Tags:2010, carpet cleaner
Reply Up