Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nap Time Policy
Heart12 09:29 AM 08-16-2016
Would any one mind sharing their nap time policy for me to glance at? I havent run into any issues with nap time since I only have 2 infants right now, but Im updating my website & I'd like to add a nap time policy. Thanks to you lovelies, I have also added a more detailed potty training policy
Blackcat31 09:37 AM 08-16-2016
Originally Posted by Heart12:
Would any one mind sharing their nap time policy for me to glance at? I havent run into any issues with nap time since I only have 2 infants right now, but Im updating my website & I'd like to add a nap time policy. Thanks to you lovelies, I have also added a more detailed potty training policy
"ALL children are required to participate in afternoon rest time. If your child no longer requires rest time, they have outgrown my program."

Rest time is non-negotiable.

If parents do not want their child to nap, they can either come pick their child up right before rest time and bring them back afterwards or they can find other care.

Parents of infants are given a letter that serves as a guideline as to what I CAN do in care (back sleeping, no blankets, PNP only) and what I canNOT do (babywear, rock to sleep, allow sleeping in a swing or car seat).

If parents do not prepare their child to be successful in care, they usually do not last long here. I am too old to be as flexible (or as gullible ) as I once was.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 09:46 AM 08-16-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
"ALL children are required to participate in afternoon rest time. If your child no longer requires rest time, they have outgrown my program."

If parents do not want their child to nap, they can either come pick their child up right before rest time and bring them back afterwards or they can find other care.

Parents of infants are given a letter that serves as a guideline as to what I CAN do in care (back sleeping, no blankets, PNP only) and what I canNOT do (babywear, rock to sleep, allow sleeping in a swing or car seat).

If parents do not prepare their child to be successful in care, they usually do not last long here. I am too old to be as flexible (or as gullible ) as I once was.
this! I have a school age today (long story) and even he is napping.... He always does when he is here. But he always starts with I don't nap! And mom says but you must lay down and be quiet so Mrs Steinel can get everyone else to sleep! He is always my 1st out! LOL
I NEED naptime!
MunchkinWrangler 10:12 AM 08-16-2016
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
this! I have a school age today (long story) and even he is napping.... He always does when he is here. But he always starts with I don't nap! And mom says but you must lay down and be quiet so Mrs Steinel can get everyone else to sleep! He is always my 1st out! LOL
I NEED naptime!
Naptime is movie time to my SA's, one always falls asleep.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 10:13 AM 08-16-2016
Originally Posted by MunchkinWrangler:
Naptime is movie time to my SA's, one always falls asleep.
yeah- I don't do any tv so that doesn't work for me. But, generally I don't take SA.
Blackcat31 10:15 AM 08-16-2016
yeah- I don't do any tv so that doesn't work for me. But, generally I don't take SA.
ditto!

I don't feel as if electronics help kids rest at all.

I do play audio-books for those that don't actually sleep.
They can simply rest and listen to the story.
MunchkinWrangler 10:33 AM 08-16-2016
Well, I do. Personally, that's how I relax. I do lots of activities and other things with the kids that it is a treat when we do movie time. My SA's aren't here all day, everyday so it is a rare opportunity. Itkeeps them quiet and I get to enjoy a movie with them.

I'm on the other side of the fence where I don't think T.V. is an bad thing for kids to watch. I think there are lots of quality kid shows out there, Daniel Tiger for one, that have a good impact on children.

I grew up with Mister Roger's Neighborhood (currently on Netflix), Sesame Street, Reading Rainbow, etc. I read very early and have always been a bookworm. I turned out ok!
MunchkinWrangler 10:34 AM 08-16-2016
And that is only for my SA kids not my younger kids so I want to be clear on that. I don't expect my SA children to nap, it's not necessarily needed at that age.
Blackcat31 11:03 AM 08-16-2016
Originally Posted by MunchkinWrangler:
Well, I do. Personally, that's how I relax. I do lots of activities and other things with the kids that it is a treat when we do movie time. My SA's aren't here all day, everyday so it is a rare opportunity. Itkeeps them quiet and I get to enjoy a movie with them.

I'm on the other side of the fence where I don't think T.V. is an bad thing for kids to watch. I think there are lots of quality kid shows out there, Daniel Tiger for one, that have a good impact on children.

I grew up with Mister Roger's Neighborhood (currently on Netflix), Sesame Street, Reading Rainbow, etc. I read very early and have always been a bookworm. I turned out ok!
Hey, we all do what works for us.
There is no right or wrong.

I agree with some shows teaching kids good stuff but I also believe there isn't anything a TV show can teach that I can't teach in a more appropriate and fun manner.....and it's not the content (of the TV shows) that I am against; it's the lighted movement, immediate gratification and the zombie-like trance that electronics create that I have issues with.

I use plenty of electronics when relaxing too but my brain is not in the middle of it's formative years....the zombie-trance is very welcomed after a long day doing what we (providers) do all day.

I don't take SA anymore but when I did, I can see how TV could have been a useful tool to occupy them. I don't fault ANY provider for doing whatever they need to do to survive (I mean manage) SA kids in care.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 11:15 AM 08-16-2016

I agree with some shows teaching kids good stuff but I also believe there isn't anything a TV show can teach that I can't teach in a more appropriate and fun manner.....and it's not the content (of the TV shows) that I am against; it's the lighted movement, immediate gratification and the zombie-like trance that electronics create that I have issues with.

I use plenty of electronics when relaxing too but my brain is not in the middle of it's formative years....the zombie-trance is very welcomed after a long day doing what we (providers) do all day.

I don't take SA anymore but when I did, I can see how TV could have been a useful tool to occupy them. I don't fault ANY provider for doing whatever they need to do to survive (I mean manage) SA kids in care.
ditto- but I meant literally we have no TV so that just isn't an option here. Not just that I don't let the littles watch it.
childcaremom 11:19 AM 08-16-2016

BC, how do you get this across to parents? Do you have a conversation with them about things to do to help prepare their child for care? Do you tell them that children have to be able to follow your schedule and nap?

I posted in another thread about this and am just looking for a way to get past what parents are doing at home so I can say, this is what children do while they are here, here's how you can help them, and if they don't transition within x amount of time, I won't be able to continue caring for them.

Do you ignore what they do at home?
Blackcat31 01:25 PM 08-16-2016
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
BC, how do you get this across to parents? Do you have a conversation with them about things to do to help prepare their child for care? Do you tell them that children have to be able to follow your schedule and nap?

I posted in another thread about this and am just looking for a way to get past what parents are doing at home so I can say, this is what children do while they are here, here's how you can help them, and if they don't transition within x amount of time, I won't be able to continue caring for them.

Do you ignore what they do at home?
Yes! I discuss all of this with the parents at the interview. I honestly believe the interview is THE most important part of the process. The interview is the gateway to everything.

I talk with parents about napping, eating, discipline, home life, behaviors, routines, customs, traditions and beliefs.

I really do get to know them as best as I can. I think most providers spend a lot of time making sure parents know their rules/policies...which IS important but I find that to come AFTER I learn what I want to know. If necessary when parents are telling me about their home life, I will interject how that will or won't work for me and why.

I also send home a parent questionnaire asking them about some of the same things I mentioned above. I email this to them and have them return it to me (via e-mail) the day before the interview. The info supplies me with what areas I will need to discuss or cover during the interview.
I worded the questionnaire purposely so that they can not just answer yes/no and have to elaborate.

I am pretty good at reading people and making the connection between what they "say" they do and what they "really" do and what their intentions are.... (I don't know if that is a learned thing, something you are born with or just something I am fairly good at.... I am a Scorpio so... )

ONE day with a child tells me a lot so I make really good use of the trial period too....watching for signs and clues that tell me the "real story" about what home life is like. As we all know, it's not uncommon for a parent to tell you home is like "THIS" when in reality, it isn't anything like that...

Most my clients are word of mouth from current clients so that helps too since "birds of a feather flock together" and it helps that a majority of my clients have spent a fair amount of time on my wait list so if they've waited at all to get in, they usually do whatever it is I require so that their child stays.

Yes, there are some things that parents do that make me cringe but that's okay....I am NOT in any way judging any of these families for how they do things or how they parent...my goal is only to make sure its a good fit for my program. Even those who may not be a good fit, aren't bad parents...they just do things I more than likely can't replicate in care.

I am also HUGE on parent responsibility and provider responsibility. A good example is a provider I "sorta" know is having issues with a child in her care. Child is doing something that most of us would send home for. Provider refuses to send the child home because she knows the child is trying to manipulate the provider and get sent home...

But I see things differently....if the child has had success at manipulating or purposely having certain behaviors just to get what they want that tells me that it was reinforced somewhere by someone and child has now learned this is a good method of getting what they want.

I don't play that way and would send the child home.

Did the child get what they wanted? Absolutely! but since I feel the root of the behavior is the "parenting" the parent can deal with it. (parent responsibility )

That's all I got for now, but if you have any other questions.... let me know! If I can help in any way, I am happy too!
childcaremom 01:34 PM 08-16-2016
Yes! I discuss all of this with the parents at the interview. I honestly believe the interview is THE most important part of the process. The interview is the gateway to everything.

I talk with parents about napping, eating, discipline, home life, behaviors, routines, customs, traditions and beliefs.

I really do get to know them as best as I can. I think most providers spend a lot of time making sure parents know their rules/policies...which IS important but I find that to come AFTER I learn what I want to know. If necessary when parents are telling me about their home life, I will interject how that will or won't work for me and why.

I also send home a parent questionnaire asking them about some of the same things I mentioned above. I email this to them and have them return it to me (via e-mail) the day before the interview. The info supplies me with what areas I will need to discuss or cover during the interview.
I worded the questionnaire purposely so that they can not just answer yes/no and have to elaborate.

I am pretty good at reading people and making the connection between what they "say" they do and what they "really" do and what their intentions are.... (I don't know if that is a learned thing, something you are born with or just something I am fairly good at.... I am a Scorpio so... )

ONE day with a child tells me a lot so I make really good use of the trial period too....watching for signs and clues that tell me the "real story" about what home life is like. As we all know, it's not uncommon for a parent to tell you home is like "THIS" when in reality, it isn't anything like that...

Most my clients are word of mouth from current clients so that helps too since "birds of a feather flock together" and it helps that a majority of my clients have spent a fair amount of time on my wait list so if they've waited at all to get in, they usually do whatever it is I require so that their child stays.

Yes, there are some things that parents do that make me cringe but that's okay....I am NOT in any way judging any of these families for how they do things or how they parent...my goal is only to make sure its a good fit for my program. Even those who may not be a good fit, aren't bad parents...they just do things I more than likely can't replicate in care.

I am also HUGE on parent responsibility and provider responsibility. A good example is a provider I "sorta" know is having issues with a child in her care. Child is doing something that most of us would send home for. Provider refuses to send the child home because she knows the child is trying to manipulate the provider and get sent home...

But I see things differently....if the child has had success at manipulating or purposely having certain behaviors just to get what they want that tells me that it was reinforced somewhere by someone and child has now learned this is a good method of getting what they want.

I don't play that way and would send the child home.

Did the child get what they wanted? Absolutely! but since I feel the root of the behavior is the "parenting" the parent can deal with it. (parent responsibility )

That's all I got for now, but if you have any other questions.... let me know! If I can help in any way, I am happy too!
This is how I feel. It's great that it works for them at home but I can't do that in group care.

So a common thing I am seeing are little ones that don't nap. Parents put to bed super early and child gets all their sleep time at night.

How would you handle that?

I ask a lot of questions about their routines. About their schedule. I do explain what my nap routine looks like. What my expectations are as far as falling asleep independently, remaining quiet whether they sleep or not, etc.

But due to some past experiences, I am very leery about even trying. Mostly I just pass.
Blackcat31 02:02 PM 08-16-2016
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
So a common thing I am seeing are little ones that don't nap. Parents put to bed super early and child gets all their sleep time at night.

How would you handle that?
I will make suggestions to parents on how to get what they want (early bed time) so that I can get what I want here (smooth/easy nappers)...

If parents want to put their child to bed early, then they need to wake the child early too. Face time is sooooo important and whether that face time happens in the morning or the evening is irrelevant....spending time WITH your awake child is simply something parents HAVE to do.

I think mine take me seriously because unlike many other providers, I have NO problem calling a parent for pick up if their child won't rest/sleep or has behavior issues.

I have NO problem turning a parent away at the door if they forgot shoes (or whatever). I have NO problem interrupting a parents day for something I feel is a parental responsibility. THAT is how I get my clients to be awesome!

You will often times hear a provider say they keep extra clothes or shoes or diapers etc in case the child needs something... after all it's not the child's fault right? It's not but it's not MY fault either so guess who gets called? even if they are working....because SO AM I and I cant do my job if parents don't do theirs.

So the napping issue is given to the parent if it isn't working in my day...... the parent is expected to fix it ......whatever that means to them is how they need to fix it...put the child to bed later, wake them earlier, set up a more consistent bed time routine, do aerobics before bed time...I don't know the right answer because it's something only a parent knows about their child. But since I will NOT manage the fall out for their choices... I let them (parents).

Dr Phil says people won't/don't change their behavior until it becomes and problem for them.
childcaremom 03:59 PM 08-16-2016
I will make suggestions to parents on how to get what they want (early bed time) so that I can get what I want here (smooth/easy nappers)...

If parents want to put their child to bed early, then they need to wake the child early too. Face time is sooooo important and whether that face time happens in the morning or the evening is irrelevant....spending time WITH your awake child is simply something parents HAVE to do.

I think mine take me seriously because unlike many other providers, I have NO problem calling a parent for pick up if their child won't rest/sleep or has behavior issues.

I have NO problem turning a parent away at the door if they forgot shoes (or whatever). I have NO problem interrupting a parents day for something I feel is a parental responsibility. THAT is how I get my clients to be awesome!

You will often times hear a provider say they keep extra clothes or shoes or diapers etc in case the child needs something... after all it's not the child's fault right? It's not but it's not MY fault either so guess who gets called? even if they are working....because SO AM I and I cant do my job if parents don't do theirs.

So the napping issue is given to the parent if it isn't working in my day...... the parent is expected to fix it ......whatever that means to them is how they need to fix it...put the child to bed later, wake them earlier, set up a more consistent bed time routine, do aerobics before bed time...I don't know the right answer because it's something only a parent knows about their child. But since I will NOT manage the fall out for their choices... I let them (parents).

Dr Phil says people won't/don't change their behavior until it becomes and problem for them.
thank you.

Calling for pick up if a child isn't napping is something that I am absolutely comfortable doing.
MunchkinWrangler 08:04 AM 08-17-2016

I get it. Didn't mean to get snippy, I read back and was like...yeah that had more attitude in it than I meant.

If I did have a choice, my daycare area wouldn't have a tv either but I share my daycare space with my home.

I admit, on a rainy day when we run out of things and we can't get outside sometimes we'll have a movie and treat time. The kids are always dancing around and acting out the movie.
MunchkinWrangler 08:06 AM 08-17-2016
ditto- but I meant literally we have no TV so that just isn't an option here. Not just that I don't let the littles watch it.
Sometimes I wish I didn't have a shared space because I wouldn't have access to a tv either.
Reply Up