Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Allow Parents To "Drop In" Anytime They Want?
Core12 01:54 PM 01-15-2018
I had an interview today and one question from the 6 pages she asked was if it’s ok to just drop in anytime. I said, “no” bc it interferes with napping, etc.
After she left I went online and found most of the questions that she asked me (suggested questions for potential provider). For this particular question, the remarks about daycares saying, “no” stated this was a red flag.
Blackcat31 02:04 PM 01-15-2018
Originally Posted by Core12:
I had an interview today and one question from the 6 pages she asked was if it’s ok to just drop in anytime. I said, “no” bc it interferes with napping, etc.
After she left I went online and found most of the questions that she asked me (suggested questions for potential provider). For this particular question, the remarks about daycares saying, “no” stated this was a red flag.
I am required by law to allow parents to drop in any time their child is in attendance.

However, they must take their child with when they leave and if it becomes a regular thing, I won't keep them enrolled.

My state has always required child care providers allow parents access to their child ANY time they show up but just recently changed our laws and now we are not allowed to tell parents they can't pick up at nap time.

We can no longer have that written policy.

Thank goodness I can still have a policy that says "term at will" because any parent that came to pick up regularly during nap would be terminated.
MomBoss 02:07 PM 01-15-2018
I dont exactly say no. I say out of courtesy to the other children, their privacy, and my teaching, its best not to drop in. Its distracting for the children and when you leave its going to upset your child, in which case you will be required to take your child with you.
happymom 02:17 PM 01-15-2018
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
I dont exactly say no. I say out of courtesy to the other children, their privacy, and my teaching, its best not to drop in. Its distracting for the children and when you leave its going to upset your child, in which case you will be required to take your child with you.
I agree with this 100 percent. Also, please don't hold it against her. When you are a mom and researching daycare, you read a lot of horror stories and try to do everything to be proactive and build trust. I can see how saying "no" can be a red flag, especially with the internet, there are all kinds of daycare "checklists" out there that are a little over the top
Ariana 02:33 PM 01-15-2018
Originally Posted by happymom:
I agree with this 100 percent. Also, please don't hold it against her. When you are a mom and researching daycare, you read a lot of horror stories and try to do everything to be proactive and build trust. I can see how saying "no" can be a red flag, especially with the internet, there are all kinds of daycare "checklists" out there that are a little over the top
Agree! People think they can avoid abuse by checking off all the things. I would try and assuage fears by explaining why I have this policy and let her know that I would never deny her access to her child at any time but here is why I am not a fan of the idea. I would also let her know the times that would work best for me for her to drop in and she will be leaving with the child in tow if she did come by to see her child.

It really is too bad that we as providers are seen as “bad” for not wanting to disrupt a childs day and routine. It is extrememly difficult for kids to go back to their day once they see mom or dad if they are not being picked up and then we are left to help them settle while also caring for other children. Not to mention if they come at bad times like nap. Ever have a sibling get picked up due to illness and the parent chooses to keep the other child in care? Its rough.
Core12 02:46 PM 01-15-2018
Love the Daycare Forum and the people in it!
Mike 02:55 PM 01-15-2018
Being male, if I go into daycare I will be expecting parents to want to be able to check up, but I would also expect them to be realistic. I think by saying they can, most probably never will, but if I were to say they can't, they'd be suspicious.

Like others said, if leaving upsets their child, they will have to come back for him or her.

I would not allow them to hang around though, and would explain to them how they wouldn't like it if someone else's parent were to hang around with their child here.
hwichlaz 02:57 PM 01-15-2018
I have to allow it...

But I don't have to allow two drop-ins...so if they drop in, it has to be an early pickup.
happymom 02:57 PM 01-15-2018
Once my husband was going out of town but still had to work the day of his flight. He was going to be gone for 2 weeks and stopped at the daycare to say goodbye to the kids on his way to the airport.

My older (5 year old) understood, but my youngest was around 22 months and DID NOT understand why dad would come and then leave again. Daycare told me it took him an hour to calm down and I felt really really bad. Never again!
Meeko 03:02 PM 01-15-2018
By Utah law...every parent must have access to their child at any time they are in care.

That does NOT mean they can come and hang out and be part of our day.

They must have access to THEIR child. They do not have a right to access to anyone else's child.

I explain to parents that they can come and visit with their child if they want to...but their child will be brought out to spend time with them in the family room (entrance). They may not go down to the playroom and mingle with the other kids.

I let them know that the visit must be fairly short as we have a schedule to keep. It's not fair for example for the child to miss an activity or to not have to clean up etc. because their parent is visiting. If the parent has a ton of time on their hands, they can spend it at home!

We had a problem with a registered sex offender dad who LOVED coming to hang out when I had an "open door" policy. He LOVED access to all those kids. Never, ever again. Only access to THEIR child is allowed.

If their child fusses when they go to leave...they must take the child with them. While they have a right to see their child, they don't have the right to upset my entire day and leave me coping with a screaming child who thought they were going home.

Once I have explained it to parents from my point of view, they understand better.
e.j. 03:16 PM 01-15-2018
When parents ask me, I let them know that according to state regulation, they can drop in at any time and that I will always welcome them at any time. I explain some of the drawbacks of stopping by at certain times of the day (like nap time) and then leaving without their child but then restate that I want them to always feel comfortable to come by at any time. I then talk about the importance of open communication between us and encourage them to talk to me about any concerns they may have.

To be honest, I can't stand it when people drop by. Not because I'm trying to hide anything but I just don't like feeling as though I'm being watched and judged. I think the fact that I stress that they're welcome to stop by at any time makes them feel as if they don't have to. In 21 years of doing dc, I've only ever had one parent (and several members of her family!) feel as though they needed to drop in to try to "catch" me doing something wrong.
Poptarts22 03:40 PM 01-15-2018
Yes. I allow parents to stop in anytime to visit their child. That being said, they visit only their child. They my are brought into the foyer to visit, and then get their coats and belongings, because, per my contract, I allow one slotted time for drop off and one slotted pick up time daily.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 03:57 PM 01-15-2018
For my state licensing reads:
The facility shall encourage parental involvement and allow parents free access to their children, and to all areas of a child care facility used by the children, to observe or participate.

I am legally unlicensed though. And luckily have not had this issue. However, I don't mind chatting with parents and have a small group so lingering at drop off/pick up isn't a huge deal to me. I don't think anyone wants to hang out here anymore than normal.
mommyneedsadayoff 04:03 PM 01-15-2018
Originally Posted by Core12:
"Yes, you can absolutely drop in to pick up your child anytime! I appreciate a heads up during nap hours, as it allows me to make the pick up as least disturbing to the others as possible, but you may drop in to pick up your child at anytime during the day."

Just to add, I did the one pick up/drop off policy for this reason. Other than parental piece of mind, it is usually disruptive to have them drop in, so in exchange for that disruption, I get one less kid to deal with.
AmyKidsCo 07:38 PM 01-15-2018

My policies state that parents are welcome to visit anytime (unless restricted by a court order) but afternoon naptime isn't a great time. They also state that if parents want an extended visit I need 2 day's notice and that I reserve the right to limit how much time can be spent in visits. (Thank Tom Copeland for those!) Also, parents of previously enrolled children and anyone else need to call to make an appointment.
amberrose3dg 03:01 AM 01-16-2018
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
"Yes, you can absolutely drop in to pick up your child anytime! I appreciate a heads up during nap hours, as it allows me to make the pick up as least disturbing to the others as possible, but you may drop in to pick up your child at anytime during the day."

Just to add, I did the one pick up/drop off policy for this reason. Other than parental piece of mind, it is usually disruptive to have them drop in, so in exchange for that disruption, I get one less kid to deal with.

If you have time to just drop by I'm assuming you are picking up then. I will not keep a child that the parent has stopped by in the middle of the day to hang out. Go spend that time with your child outside of daycare.
daycarediva 03:35 AM 01-16-2018
Sure they can pop in whenever, but the kid goes with them when they leave.

My state regs say a parent has to have access to their child at any time during care.

I HIGHLY discourage rest time visits though, and it's the one time if it happens repeatedly I will let them go for it.

Happy mom- I wouldn't have let him leave without the kids.
DaveA 03:39 AM 01-16-2018
I allow it but make sure I explain to DCPs about not coming during naptime, the disruption that multiple in/ outs can cause in a child's day, etc. Honestly the only parent I ever had stop by was a DCD who worked from home in the same subdivision as me. We would see him while we were out on a walk or he would stop by if he ran to mail something occasionally. He had a diesel truck with a custom exhaust, so it wasn't like he was going to sneak by DCKs anyway.
Jupadia 04:42 AM 01-16-2018
I let parents know they are welcome to come at any time without notice. But will have to pick up their child if they do so, I'll let parents know during interview that their child will not understand why they where here and then left again. I do discourage pickup during nap and ask ahead of time if parents can inform me of these pickups cause they disturbe nap time for all. (So far it's never been a problem with a family coming then). I tell the parents though your welcome to come any time that our schedule is flexible and o want to make sure where not in the middle of something that your child's not going tobwamt to leave so if you can let me know of pick ups outside of regular times.
HappyEverAfter 06:23 AM 01-16-2018
My policy says they can drop in anytime but are greatly discouraged from coming at nap times. If they come at meal time they are not allowed to bring any outside food for the child. I’ve actually only ever had one drop in and it was on an infant’s first day. Dcm didn’t bother the child and didn’t even hold him, just quickly popped in to see how he was doing and then went back to work.
Mike 06:39 AM 01-16-2018
Originally Posted by HappyEverAfter:
My policy says they can drop in anytime but are greatly discouraged from coming at nap times. If they come at meal time they are not allowed to bring any outside food for the child. I’ve actually only ever had one drop in and it was on an infant’s first day. Dcm didn’t bother the child and didn’t even hold him, just quickly popped in to see how he was doing and then went back to work.
If they have to check up, it would work so much better for everyone if that was what parents did.
MomBoss 07:04 AM 01-16-2018

What does your pick up/drop off policy look like? I need to add one! A parent dropped off at 7:30 called me just now saying she got her child in for a doctor apt and will pick him up at 9:30 and drop him off after. This child has a hard time at drop offs! Great, now if he is dropped off after i put the other kids down for nap, hes going to wake everyone up!
How do i explain only one drop off and pick up in a policy? And why its disturbing to the child and our day to drop off and pick up multiple times.
Snowmom 07:07 AM 01-16-2018
Because of the law change here, I had to rephrase my naptime policy to: Scheduling pick up times during rest time disrupts the entire group’s rest time. Out of respect for the provider and the other families enrolled, please schedule your pick ups before 12:45pm or after 3:15pm.

We'll see how that flies with licensing this year.

I tell prospective families that I encourage family time. Which is why I base my rates on pick up time. I give those families that value their evening time with their child a lesser fee than those that utilize my services to the fullest extent.
I certainly would never keep a child from a parent. However, I also will not keep families that don't respect nap time.
Snowmom 07:12 AM 01-16-2018
What does your pick up/drop off policy look like? I need to add one! A parent dropped off at 7:30 called me just now saying she got her child in for a doctor apt and will pick him up at 9:30 and drop him off after. This child has a hard time at drop offs! Great, now if he is dropped off after i put the other kids down for nap, hes going to wake everyone up!
How do i explain only one drop off and pick up in a policy? And why its disturbing to the child and our day to drop off and pick up multiple times.
Multiple arrivals and departures are very confusing and misleading for children. There is to be only 1 drop off and 1 departure per day, per family. If there are siblings enrolled in care, both must be picked up at the same time to avoid disruption for the entire group.
Blackcat31 07:24 AM 01-16-2018
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
Because of the law change here, I had to rephrase my naptime policy to: Scheduling pick up times during rest time disrupts the entire group’s rest time. Out of respect for the provider and the other families enrolled, please schedule your pick ups before 12:45pm or after 3:15pm.

We'll see how that flies with licensing this year.

I tell prospective families that I encourage family time. Which is why I base my rates on pick up time. I give those families that value their evening time with their child a lesser fee than those that utilize my services to the fullest extent.
I certainly would never keep a child from a parent. However, I also will not keep families that don't respect nap time.
*sigh* Just completed my re-licensing visit last week.

You can't even say that.

You can't have ANYTHING written about nap time pick up at all but my licensor said we can say it all we want.
We just can't have anything written in our policies about pick up times other than parents can pick up any time they want.
mommyneedsadayoff 07:26 AM 01-16-2018
Mine is under Pick Up/Drop Off Policy section and just says something like, "Pick up and drop offs can be a difficult transition time for children in daycare. Due to this, I allow for one pick up and one drop off per day. You are welcome to arrive anytime during the day to check on your child's care, but you must take your child with you when you leave. Please keep this in mind when scheduling appointments for your child during the day."

In your case, why is the kid going to the doc? If it is a well visit with vaccines, I also have a rule about being out of care a full 24 hours after shots, so I suggest they schedule appointments on fridays. I would probably text mom and let her know that if she plans to bring him back, he needs to be ready for lunch and nap (or whatever is on your schedule), so hopefully she keeps him on track.
Blackcat31 07:26 AM 01-16-2018
Why is he going to the Dr?

I don't allow more than one drop off/pick up but I definitely don't allow kids to come directly from a Dr's appointment unless it was pre-arranged and for non-illness visits.
LysesKids 07:49 AM 01-16-2018
I only allow one drop-off & one pick up per day... they pick up early for any reason, child is gone for they day; and what is the DR appointment for? illness or vaccination, 24 hr exclusion applies
MomBoss 07:51 AM 01-16-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Why is he going to the Dr?

I don't allow more than one drop off/pick up but I definitely don't allow kids to come directly from a Dr's appointment unless it was pre-arranged and for non-illness visits.
Wellness check? I think it was because he was sick last week and they are going on vacation in a couple days. There is no scheduled apt, mom was told to come in the morning and they will fit her in when they can. I told her have him fed before he comes back if he wont be here at 11 for our lunch time.
Snowmom 08:00 AM 01-16-2018
*sigh* Just completed my re-licensing visit last week.

You can't even say that.

You can't have ANYTHING written about nap time pick up at all but my licensor said we can say it all we want.
We just can't have anything written in our policies about pick up times other than parents can pick up any time they want.
Oh for heaven's sake.

I have a great licensor, but man, she's going to get an earful from me in May. I'm already PO'd that my middle schooler is going to have to get fingerprinted and get an FBI file created on her just because her mom wants a job in daycare. I'm so fed up with this state.
Blackcat31 08:02 AM 01-16-2018
Oh for heaven's sake.

I have a great licensor, but man, she's going to get an earful from me in May. I'm already PO'd that my middle schooler is going to have to get fingerprinted and get an FBI file created on her just because her mom wants a job in daycare. I'm so fed up with this state.
I hear you.... there are several veteran providers in my area that are seriously considering going unlicensed. There are less regulations and even less penalties than when licensed. It makes zero sense to me....
MomBoss 08:09 AM 01-16-2018
I hear you.... there are several veteran providers in my area that are seriously considering going unlicensed. There are less regulations and even less penalties than when licensed. It makes zero sense to me....
Wouldnt they only be able to have 1 family if they did that? Big loss of income.
Im pretty sure my licensor never looked at my policy book last year. Her visit was only an hour, super quick! This year is my surprise inpection/off year and from other providers I heard its very quick, less than 30 min. Just a quick overview of your place and skiming paperwork to make sure its all there.
I feel like im missing something because i looked at all the changes and they didnt seem too bad to me.
Blackcat31 08:25 AM 01-16-2018
Wouldnt they only be able to have 1 family if they did that? Big loss of income.
Im pretty sure my licensor never looked at my policy book last year. Her visit was only an hour, super quick! This year is my surprise inpection/off year and from other providers I heard its very quick, less than 30 min. Just a quick overview of your place and skiming paperwork to make sure its all there.
I feel like im missing something because i looked at all the changes and they didnt seem too bad to me.
You are now required to provide licensing a copy of your policies so they can keep them in your file. If you change anything you must put it in writing and give the updated copy to licensing.

Licensors now use an electronic check list to make sure all areas (licensing requirements) are met.

As for the providers that I mentioned wanting to go unlicensed...I meant illegally. As in, take the same # of kids and take their chances... apparently the only recourse is you can't get liability insurance I guess. I don't know...I couldn't do it....my parents ingrained following the rules into my psyche so I just couldn't do it (be illegally unlicensed).
Blackcat31 08:29 AM 01-16-2018
I PM'ed you the electronic check list licensors will now be looking at during your re-licensing visit.
Unregistered 08:31 AM 01-16-2018
I work in a dc here in Alabama and we just had our annual inspection found out that if your CAN form is outdated you have to get a new one which is no big deal.

My question regarding naptime and drop off is that we allow parents to pick up whenever they choose to plus drop in as well, We have a sign on our door that they cannot drop off between the hours of 12 & 2pm because of nap/rest period. Do we need to take the sign down and reword it or do ya'll think its ok? Thanks for your input.
(Logged out because I forgot my password and can't get it reset)
Blackcat31 08:33 AM 01-16-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I work in a dc here in Alabama and we just had our annual inspection found out that if your CAN form is outdated you have to get a new one which is no big deal.

My question regarding naptime and drop off is that we allow parents to pick up whenever they choose to plus drop in as well, We have a sign on our door that they cannot drop off between the hours of 12 & 2pm because of nap/rest period. Do we need to take the sign down and reword it or do ya'll think its ok? Thanks for your input.
(Logged out because I forgot my password and can't get it reset)
What is your user name?
I can send you a password reset link...
MomBoss 08:49 AM 01-16-2018
You are now required to provide licensing a copy of your policies so they can keep them in your file. If you change anything you must put it in writing and give the updated copy to licensing.

Licensors now use an electronic check list to make sure all areas (licensing requirements) are met.

As for the providers that I mentioned wanting to go unlicensed...I meant illegally. As in, take the same # of kids and take their chances... apparently the only recourse is you can't get liability insurance I guess. I don't know...I couldn't do it....my parents ingrained following the rules into my psyche so I just couldn't do it (be illegally unlicensed).
My licensor told me theres nothing they really can do if you arent licensed. They dont have the time or resources to be checking places out. All they can do is mail you info, if they find out, and tell you how to get licensed. Ive thought about becoming unlicensed if i move..depending on how bad regs get. My paranoia tells me if licensing knows where i live, they could still try to check in lol. No one i have interviewed has checked if i am licnsed or asked at all. I wonder sometimes if people really care.
lovemydaycare0912 10:15 AM 01-16-2018
I didnt read all replies but heres ny opinion.

I tell parents they can come whenever they'd like. If they are supposed to pick up at 5 but want to pop up at 330, thats fine. I do let them know when nap time is but by law parents must have access to children at all times.

All my families love the open door policy but have never actually popped up. They always text me first to see if it's okay for them to come a little early.

It's more of a peace of mind here. If you tell a parent they can't come when they want, it raises suspicion. A lot of parents said they wouldn't go with a daycare who wouldn't allow them access to child.
daycarediva 11:11 AM 01-16-2018
I had to submit a copy of my parent handbook, and discipline policy to the state, if I make changes, I must GET IT APPROVED FIRST.

I am like BC- I couldn't operate illegally, but dang it, I really wish I could.

Licensing was here YESTERDAY and did a full inspection. I literally got my license and had 4 inspections (full) in the last month.

They didn't find anything- but WTH disruptive much?
MomBoss 12:28 PM 01-16-2018
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I had to submit a copy of my parent handbook, and discipline policy to the state, if I make changes, I must GET IT APPROVED FIRST.

I am like BC- I couldn't operate illegally, but dang it, I really wish I could.

Licensing was here YESTERDAY and did a full inspection. I literally got my license and had 4 inspections (full) in the last month.

They didn't find anything- but WTH disruptive much?
Wow why did you need 4 in one month??
CityGarden 12:42 PM 01-16-2018
Oh for heaven's sake.

What is this?!?!?! My dd is entering middle school next year, I would not be okay with this.
Blackcat31 12:52 PM 01-16-2018
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
What is this?!?!?! My dd is entering middle school next year, I would not be okay with this.
It's a new state regulation for providers in MN.

Child Care and Development Block Grant Conformity (Article 16, Sections 3, 5, 18-42)

These changes require a new fingerprint-based background study for all child care providers. The new background study, which will be valid for five years, will include a review of Minnesota criminal records, checks against Minnesota’s predatory offender registry and child abuse and neglect registry. It will also include a review of FBI criminal records, the National Sex Offender public website, and child abuse and neglect registries in any state where the subject has resided in the previous five years.

The new study requirements apply to licensed family child care, licensed child care centers, legal nonlicensed child care, and license-exempt centers that receive Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP) payments. The new law requires all “child care staff” and controlling individuals to have a compliant study. “Child care staff” is defined as anyone who meets at least one of these definitions:

Individuals under the age of 18 will not have the FBI portion of the study, but they must have a fingerprint-based background study that complies with all other elements of the CCDBG study.

All studies will be conducted using the study subject’s fingerprints. The state does not retain fingerprints, but the FBI may keep them. All new studies will require the department to review the following databases:

https://mn.gov/dhs/general-public/ba...s/what-is-new/
Meeko 01:16 PM 01-16-2018
It's over age 12 here in Utah. We have 10 days after a child turns 12 to get them fingerprinted and an FBI check done....
Mom2Two 10:12 AM 01-18-2018
I tell parents in interview that they are welcome to stop by unannounced. It honestly hasn't caused me any problems (so far...).

But if they got funny about it, like it was too often and it was becoming annoying, I would say something and I would be specific about how it was affecting me/kids.
daycarediva 11:22 AM 01-18-2018
Wow why did you need 4 in one month??
They kept finding something 'they forgot to check' (eg the one bedroom I pointed out twice)

or they wanted me to fix "the chipped paint" after she scraped an eraser head size spot from the corner of the wall with her fingernail.

Had to make sure I removed my swings until I put in 18" of mulch under them.

You name it.
Kindermom 08:16 AM 01-25-2018

I love this! How do you word this in your handbook, if you don't mind me asking? Or what would be a good example of how to phrase it for use in a handbook?
Ktkate1050 10:37 AM 04-22-2019
I am currently employed as a lead teacher at a daycare that has a open door policy. Meaning they allow the parents to drop in whenever they want to see there kids. I don’t disagree with PARENTS being able to drop in wheneverbut recently my room has become a somewhat visitation center for other family members (Grandparents, aunts, uncles etc.) it is getting a bit out of control and causing a disturbance to our rountine and schedule. I am just wondering if anyone knows what the policy In NY for such a thing is and also if that policy should be for PARENTS only.
knoxmomof2 02:01 PM 04-25-2019
I'm license exempt in my state since I keep less than 4. I know that the "daycare interview checklists" say there should be an open door policy, etc so I say that I have an open door policy. I tell them that they can visit at any time, BUT I also indicate that a lot of my parents text me before coming so that I can make sure their child is cleaned up / changed/ ready to go for them. Most seem to prefer the convenience of that to being able to do surprise visits. They don't like the idea of Junior being covered in banana from snack time and having to wait while I clean him up. I've never added the "one drop off and pick up per day" stipulation, but will definitely add that in the future!

I'm glad I'm license exempt, because I could not tolerate having to host a visit between the parent / relative and their child! You want to visit with your child? Take them home and lessen my work burden for the day! I have things to do around here and that completely disrupts everything... Disruptions here are usually minimal, but a new baby sister was born last night and another child had a doctor's appointment this afternoon, so I had the big brothers come late with Grandma and then the other boy leave early so even that rare disruption is annoying to me. I like my routines and the kids are less cranky when life is predictable...

I've only had 1 potential parent ask about coming to hang out for an hour in order to get a feel for me and my program. I told her that, if the interview went well and we both wanted to move forward, I would have to get permission from the other parents first. (I was new... Lol) Thankfully, she went with a daycare center. There were red flags during the interview anyway, but again I was new and didn't see them at the time.
ardeur 02:07 PM 04-25-2019
Some of my parents have tried dropping in a few times a day. They decided on their own to stop doing that after they saw how much it distresses their child. I cannot, by law, prevent parents visiting unless that parent doesn't have a child in care that day.
Blackcat31 05:11 PM 04-25-2019
Originally Posted by ardeur:
Some of my parents have tried dropping in a few times a day. They decided on their own to stop doing that after they saw how much it distresses their child. I cannot, by law, prevent parents visiting unless that parent doesn't have a child in care that day.
Does your state specifically say “visit” or does it say “access” or “open door policy”?
There is a huge difference between the terms.
lovemykidstoo 05:49 AM 04-26-2019
Originally Posted by Meeko:
By Utah law...every parent must have access to their child at any time they are in care.

That does NOT mean they can come and hang out and be part of our day.

They must have access to THEIR child. They do not have a right to access to anyone else's child.

I explain to parents that they can come and visit with their child if they want to...but their child will be brought out to spend time with them in the family room (entrance). They may not go down to the playroom and mingle with the other kids.

I let them know that the visit must be fairly short as we have a schedule to keep. It's not fair for example for the child to miss an activity or to not have to clean up etc. because their parent is visiting. If the parent has a ton of time on their hands, they can spend it at home!

We had a problem with a registered sex offender dad who LOVED coming to hang out when I had an "open door" policy. He LOVED access to all those kids. Never, ever again. Only access to THEIR child is allowed.

If their child fusses when they go to leave...they must take the child with them. While they have a right to see their child, they don't have the right to upset my entire day and leave me coping with a screaming child who thought they were going home.

Once I have explained it to parents from my point of view, they understand better.
WHOA WHAT??? How was he even allowed near other kids as a registered sex offender? Honeslty if I was a parent of one of the other kids I would pull so fast.
lovemykidstoo 05:55 AM 04-26-2019
A couple of things. First of all lol I WAS one of those parents. When I had our son I was working full time at a bank. For the first week I went back to work, I wanted to stop and see him for 20 minutes on my lunch. My lovely provider allowed me that. Yup, I was that person. Well after a week, when I went to the door he was sleeping. Was he? Idk, but that's what she said, so I left without seeing him. She didn't let me in the door. Now as a provider I know she was just tired me of me coming on my lunch, which I get. He was 8 weeks old.

A question. What is the wording for the 24 hours after getting vaccinations?

I have a friend that is unlicensed and does daycare. I think she is nuts. She takes the kids in the car all the time. God forbid something happens, someone hits her. She is not insured. She will be sued so terribly and lose everything. I doubt licensing will do anything to her for being unlicensed if they found out, but the IRS certainly if she is not paying taxes on any of her income. Also, if you have a mortgage here and run a business out of it, are not licensed or insured, they will put force placed insurance on your home. That is crazy expensive. If the bank gives you a loan and she gets in an accident, the people will sue and the bank will be out! I wrote mortgages at the bank that I worked at before opening my daycare and we saw people running businesses out of their home uninsured all the time.
Cat Herder 07:13 AM 04-26-2019
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
WHOA WHAT??? How was he even allowed near other kids as a registered sex offender? Honeslty if I was a parent of one of the other kids I would pull so fast.
The access law does not prevent them in if they have a child enrolled. We are legally allowed to let them in. That is the problem with this law. It assumes parents are safe. Prisons are full of parents. Many of my clients are public safety and don't want others knowing where their kids are.

That is why I only allow them access to their own kid, in the family room. If they want to inspect the playroom for safety, I move all the other kids out. If they want to see the kids play they sit outside and watch through one-sided glass or from a distance on the playground.
lovemykidstoo 07:26 AM 04-26-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
The access law does not prevent them in if they have a child enrolled. We are legally allowed to let them in. That is the problem with this law. It assumes parents are safe. Prisons are full of parents. Many of my clients are public safety and don't want others knowing where their kids are.

That is why I only allow them access to their own kid, in the family room. If they want to inspect the playroom for safety, I move all the other kids out. If they want to see the kids play they sit outside and watch through one-sided glass or from a distance on the playground.
That is insane. That is wonderful though that you're monitoring.
Firefly 07:33 AM 04-26-2019
I had a parent who wanted to interview a long time ago and she said she wanted to come when the other children were here so she could see how they interact together. How would you respond to that request?
Meeko 08:11 AM 04-26-2019
Originally Posted by Firefly:
I had a parent who wanted to interview a long time ago and she said she wanted to come when the other children were here so she could see how they interact together. How would you respond to that request?
I have had similar requests.

The answer is always the same. The law states a parent must have access to THEIR child. They have no right to access of other people's children. I tell them that I have kids in care who's parents specifically chose me BECAUSE I don't allow just anyone access to their kids. So they can come any time to get their own child, but under no circumstances can they hang out with the other kids.
Cat Herder 08:15 AM 04-26-2019
"Sure. There is gravel parking on the right front side of the property with a viewing bench. Please do not call out to children or disrupt their play. Playground time tomorrow is from 9 am -11 am and again at 3pm-430 pm. Please note area is under video monitoring 24 hours per day. If you would like to return at 6 pm for a tour, just send a quick text. See you tomorrow."

The fence is covered up to 4ft with tennis netting, so the kids can't see the parking area on that side. Also, that neighbor is law enforcement who also has his property video monitored.

Preplanning is your best defense.

I have to allow parents to view the "learning environment", that means classroom culture and relationships. I don't expect that reg to last long, though. It was a kneejerk rule to those allowing biters and violent kids to stay in care.
Snowmom 08:15 AM 04-26-2019
"For safety, security and licensing reasons, I do not allow adults that are not documented on my license (trained, background checked provider and substitutes) to interact or observe the children I am responsible for. However, I understand your concerns and if there is ever a time I feel your child is not adapting well or having difficulties, I will communicate that with you."
AmyKidsCo 12:28 PM 04-26-2019
I am required by law to allow parents to drop in any time their child is in attendance.

However, they must take their child with when they leave and if it becomes a regular thing, I won't keep them enrolled.

My state has always required child care providers allow parents access to their child ANY time they show up but just recently changed our laws and now we are not allowed to tell parents they can't pick up at nap time.

We can no longer have that written policy.

Thank goodness I can still have a policy that says "term at will" because any parent that came to pick up regularly during nap would be terminated.
LOVE THAT! How do you have it worded in your policies?

We have the same licensing rule. My policies state that parents can come at any time but should be aware that naptime is not a good time. I also require 2 days notice if parents want to spend "extended time" with their child, and I can limit how long those visits can be. Just re-reading it though, I realize I should change that to how long they can spend on the premises with their children.
Blackcat31 01:27 PM 04-26-2019
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
LOVE THAT! How do you have it worded in your policies?

We have the same licensing rule. My policies state that parents can come at any time but should be aware that naptime is not a good time. I also require 2 days notice if parents want to spend "extended time" with their child, and I can limit how long those visits can be. Just re-reading it though, I realize I should change that to how long they can spend on the premises with their children.
I edited my pick up section and nap/rest section to state:

"Parents are always welcome to pick up their child any time during the day, however any pick-up that consistently interferes with the needs of the other children in care may result in termination of services"

During enrollment/tour/interview I VERBALLY tell parents what that means.

As for "visiting" that is not something I would even consider allowing. Our state only says "access" meaning ability to pick up. It does not say anything about visiting. (thank goodness! lol!)
AmyKidsCo 01:35 PM 04-26-2019
Ours specifically says "visit".

(a) The center shall permit parents to visit and observe the center’s operations at any time during the center’s hours of operation unless parental access is prohibited or restricted by court order.
Tags:drop in, drop in contract
Reply Up