Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Interview Tonight... Should I Run from This Family?
trix23 04:20 PM 06-04-2019
Prospective parents asked if I carry liability insurance and who would pay for an ambulance.

Same parents asked how long I've been doing what I do and when I said 2.5 years, they asked if I've worked in early childhood before.

They are looking to start late July and were asking me if I have spots and I told them that I'm not sure, but it's hard to say. They have 2.5 year old twins.

They also asked where my kids were.

They asked their kids if they wanted to leave versus saying something like "Ok, it's time to go" or something similar, like what I would say. They said something about how they avoid dairy and I mentioned at the beginning that if they have an allergy or special diet that the parents would need to supply all food.

Should I run from this family? lmao.
TwinMama 04:56 PM 06-04-2019
Run!!! Far,far away from their precious snowflakes.
ColorfulSunburst 07:28 PM 06-04-2019
if you ask that question you know the answer.
so, do what should be done. I mean RUN!
Unregistered 08:09 PM 06-04-2019
Good to know.
Josiegirl 03:27 AM 06-05-2019
Keep interviewing and go with the best fit. If your gut is making you pause with this one I'd say listen to it.
Snowmom 06:17 AM 06-05-2019
While I understand why people want/ask about insurance, that question would get a big fat "pass" from me.
trix23 06:25 AM 06-05-2019
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
While I understand why people want/ask about insurance, that question would get a big fat "pass" from me.
Can you elaborate?
Snowmom 07:32 AM 06-05-2019
Originally Posted by trix23:
Can you elaborate?
Liability insurance is business necessity. No doubt.
However, I firmly believe that it should not replace medical insurance and that medical insurance should be covering Johnny's tooth he knocked out after being told 18000 times to stop jumping on toys. I think it's ludicrous that just because Johnny's on my property, my insurance should pay for it and my premiums be affected especially when I took all the steps within my ability to prevent it.

It's not the way I was raised (make everyone else pay for your mistakes). I know others feel differently and it should just be a part of doing business. I don't feel that way.

So, someone asking if I have liability, makes me feel they are relying on it and looking to make a claim with any/every little thing that happens.
sahm1225 07:36 AM 06-05-2019
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
There’s a few articles online that say what questions to ask a daycare provider and it always says to ask About insurance. The fact that they elaborated about paying for ambulance makes me think they either had an experience or someone near to them did.
sahm1225 07:36 AM 06-05-2019
Prospective parents asked if I carry liability insurance and who would pay for an ambulance.

Same parents asked how long I've been doing what I do and when I said 2.5 years, they asked if I've worked in early childhood before.

They are looking to start late July and were asking me if I have spots and I told them that I'm not sure, but it's hard to say. They have 2.5 year old twins.

They also asked where my kids were.

They asked their kids if they wanted to leave versus saying something like "Ok, it's time to go" or something similar, like what I would say. They said something about how they avoid dairy and I mentioned at the beginning that if they have an allergy or special diet that the parents would need to supply all food.

Wow

AmyKidsCo 01:35 PM 06-05-2019
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst:
if you ask that question you know the answer.
so, do what should be done. I mean RUN!

WBee 08:16 AM 06-06-2019
How did it go? I would probably avoid them. They should not be asking about "your" children either. Big red flag that they are probably busybodies. I got stuck with a family like this for WAY too long. So glad I finally termed.
Blackcat31 09:13 AM 06-06-2019

After a TON of books and 2.5 years in the business as well as being good at what you do, one would think that you'd be beyond needing to ask this question.
MomBoss 12:18 PM 06-06-2019
So i have a weird question. Can i tell parents i dont carry liability insurance (not required where i live) have them sign the form thats required stating i dont have it. BUT actually have it in case something major happens? I feel like i wouldnt be bothered if they think i dont have it, like they wouldnt think to ask me to help pay (for a small thing) vs them knowing i carry and like someone stated, have me pay for Johnnys tooth he knocked out from disobeying a rule.
trix23 02:05 PM 06-06-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
After a TON of books and 2.5 years in the business as well as being good at what you do, one would think that you'd be beyond needing to ask this question.
Mostly cause I try not to judge people too swiftly but usually I am right with my intuition.
Mom2Two 12:00 PM 06-14-2019
The ambulance question is a pretty big red flag. Don't they carry health insurance for their child?

And the talk about avoiding dairy sounds like they're trying to soften you up without actually coming out and asking. They are probably planning to start putting pressure on you later.

If people want to get all nit-picky about their kid's diets or whatever for unnecessary reasons, they need to stay home with their own kids or train a nanny.
hwichlaz 07:13 AM 06-15-2019
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
So i have a weird question. Can i tell parents i dont carry liability insurance (not required where i live) have them sign the form thats required stating i dont have it. BUT actually have it in case something major happens? I feel like i wouldnt be bothered if they think i dont have it, like they wouldnt think to ask me to help pay (for a small thing) vs them knowing i carry and like someone stated, have me pay for Johnnys tooth he knocked out from disobeying a rule.
That's what I do. I don't even tell licensing that I'm insured.
Tags:interview, interview - from hell
Reply Up