Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Old?
Unregistered 10:27 AM 06-27-2019
What age should a child be expected to walk in to daycare?

For example I have a 2 1/2 year old who comes and mom carries child in and stands there until I take the child from her. I could be feeding an infant and the mom stands there and waits for me to put the infant down and take her child from her. Put the kid down and go lady!

Sometimes I take the child right away to get the parent out quicker. Other times I wait until I'm done tending the infant.

Shouldn't the child be old enough to come in and be put down to play with the other children? What age do you expect them to do so?

Ways to address this issue?

Thank You!
Michael 10:47 AM 06-27-2019
12 to 18 months. Here are some milestones ages of development : https://www.daycare.com/fastfacts/de...ilestones.html
Ac114 10:58 AM 06-27-2019
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
What age should a child be expected to walk in to daycare?

For example I have a 2 1/2 year old who comes and mom carries child in and stands there until I take the child from her. I could be feeding an infant and the mom stands there and waits for me to put the infant down and take her child from her. Put the kid down and go lady!

Sometimes I take the child right away to get the parent out quicker. Other times I wait until I'm done tending the infant.

Shouldn't the child be old enough to come in and be put down to play with the other children? What age do you expect them to do so?

Ways to address this issue?

Thank You!
I have a parent like this and the boy is the same age, I will literally be changing a diaper, feeding an infant or rocking a baby to sleep and they just stand there. I’ve made them wait to get my point across. But I usually say, you can just sit him down. Have a good day!
Ariana 11:27 AM 06-27-2019
I just tell the parent to put thd kid down so she can walk in. No reason you can’t say this!

“Hey little jimmy tell mommy to put your down so you can run in and play”. Or “hey mom would you mind putting little jimmy down so he can run in and play while i feed infant”.
Cat Herder 11:36 AM 06-27-2019
"Good morning, DCM. I need you to put him down, please. Big boys walk in. Thanks. Good Morning Jimmy, in a minute you will put your things away and then go wash your hands. First, say goodbye to Mom. Bye, DCM."

Or.

"Good afternoon. Tomorrow morning when you drop off, I need you to let Jimmy walk in like a big kid. It is part of our morning curriculum. He should walk in, put his things away, wash his hands and join the group, independently. We will be working really hard on this as it is a part of the daily routine that will follow him all through his school career."

Edit: I am that you also chose Jimmy. I did not see your post while I was typing. Too funny.
Leigh 02:05 PM 06-27-2019
I don't allow parents to carry kids in or out if they can walk. A couple of years ago, I kept reminding a BIG 4 year old that he could walk himself on his way out the door, and that he was too big to be carried (he would start drama at pick up and act like a toddler for attention). One day, it was well below zero degrees outdoors, and his mom carried all 60 pounds of him out the door. Because he was so big (as tall as some 7 year olds), she couldn't see where she was going and stepped off my sidewalk into the landscape rocks. Broke her ankle, couldn't move at all. She spent 20 minutes freezing on the concrete while waiting for an ambulance. After that, I INSIST that kids who are able to walk, do walk.
Ariana 02:39 PM 06-27-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

Edit: I am that you also chose Jimmy. I did not see your post while I was typing. Too funny.
I really hope this kid is named jimmy
mrma 06:00 PM 06-27-2019
I have a dcm that comes in at 5:30 am carrying her 7 year old because he's "asleep" she looks ridiculous because he's taller than her. I've told her "wow, your gonna injure your back" or "your belly buttons gonna pop out, he must be heavy?" and she doesn't get the hint.
Cat Herder 05:31 AM 06-28-2019
Reminds me of that blogger who posted this meme way back when. She was hilarious.
Attached: infantilizing (600 x 600).jpg (89.4 KB) 
knoxmomof2 06:51 AM 06-28-2019
I don't have an age, and I don't care how they get them inside. That's on them if they want to carry their 4 year old inside. Once they're inside, drop off is done in a side room adjacent to the daycare room. It used to be a carport, so there's a small step up leading from it into the house. Once they've said goodbye, if they can walk, I just put my hand out and say "come on, let's go!" and they take my hand and come in or the parents set them down for them to walk in.

If they're not walking or not steady enough to walk very far, then I tell Mom or Dad bye and take them. It's a big deal to the kids when they can do the step by themselves! Same for pick up. I hold their hand to the step down, their parents take them from there or I hand them over if they can't walk yet.

I would just say "okay Johnny, tell Mommy bye and Mom if you wouldn't mind just putting him down here, then he can walk in. That way I can keep feeding the baby. Thanks!"
AmyKidsCo 01:32 PM 06-28-2019
It's all a parent thing. I have a BIG 3 1/2 yr old who's carried in every day and an 18 mo old who's been walking in (even up the 3 steps) for about 4 months now, since the snow/ice melted.

My sister-in-law and daughter-in-law both have 7 1/2 year olds and both of them carry their kids around or stand holding them and swaying like they're babies. My SIL never thought she'd have children and my DIL's is the youngest and only boy, so I think that's why...
jenboo 02:31 PM 06-29-2019
I have an almost 5 year old who gets carried in/out daily 😂
Mom2Two 11:21 AM 07-01-2019
But how do these parents do it? I just plain lost the ability to pick up or carry my son after he was four. He was too darn heavy. Even if I'd wanted to, I was unable to help out.
Unregistered 11:33 AM 07-01-2019
Its not that they carry the child in that gets me. Its the fact that they will stand there holding the child for 10+ minutes until I put the baby down to take the 2 year old from the parent. Put the kid down and go! I shouldn't have to put an infant down to take a 2 year old!
Annalee 11:34 AM 07-01-2019
I find it funny that parents allow their 1-2 year old kids to walk in but when they begin to grow up turning 3 and we brag about them being a "big girl/boy" then the mom starts carrying them again treating them like infants/toddlers LIke they don't want them to grow up or they are afraid they aren't a good parent if they don't coddle all the time.
knoxmomof2 01:24 PM 07-01-2019
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Its not that they carry the child in that gets me. Its the fact that they will stand there holding the child for 10+ minutes until I put the baby down to take the 2 year old from the parent. Put the kid down and go! I shouldn't have to put an infant down to take a 2 year old!
I agree, it's ridiculous, but until you tell them what is needed, they'll keep doing it. "Tommy, tell Mommy goodbye! Mom, if you'll just put Tommy down right there, then we can get started with our day!" I've used phrases like "I'm going to give her to you and let you guys get going since I need to get to the grocery store" or "I'll see you guys tomorrow, there's another child arriving." Just politely tell them what to do.
trix23 02:00 PM 07-02-2019
Yeah, if child can walk in, they should. I would say to the parent "Can put X over the gate and say your goodbyes." They may just not be sure what to do, so I guide them.
Unregistered 06:01 PM 07-02-2019
Very often they carry kids just because it is much faster then if to let them walk.
CeriBear 07:16 AM 07-06-2019
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I have an almost 5 year old who gets carried in/out daily 😂
And I thought it was ridiculous that a daddy carried in his 3.5 year old everyday.
sahm1225 08:28 AM 07-06-2019
Originally Posted by CeridwenLynne:
And I thought it was ridiculous that a daddy carried in his 3.5 year old everyday.
I can top that. I have a huge 10 year old that mom I sissy he crawls to say goodbye to her
Lissa Kristine 01:59 PM 07-14-2019
Meanwhile, I have a friend who has no problem making her pre-walking one year olds go on their own. They can't walk, but they can crawl.

"Ok, Jimmy. Go see your friends."

[She's also a nursing mom with 3 under the age of 4, so she's all for NOT having her kids attached to her constantly.]
Tags:milestones, milestones - walking, separation anxiety
Reply Up