Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Home Daycare
Jshalesha 03:06 AM 07-02-2019
Hello,

I'm new to this site and I hope I'm posting this in the correct section. I'm planning to start an at home daycare, outside of my home but close by. I'll be renting or buying a home. I've gotten some advice from my aunt who ran an at home daycare for 20+ years but times have changed. I'd love to get advice, Things I should or shouldn't do. I'm nervous since I'll be leaving my full time job at a daycare, but I'm ready. I would also like to know how you'll started out, how many kids you started with. What were the first steps you took to opening the daycare. I really just want as much information from people that have experienced opening a child care. I live in Raleigh North Carolina.
Cat Herder 06:36 AM 07-02-2019
Originally Posted by Jshalesha:
What were the first steps you took to opening the daycare.
My first steps were to save 12 months of income, volunteer in my community to develop a professional reputation among my target market and research my state laws.

https://ncchildcare.ncdhhs.gov/Servi...cense-Overview

I added tags below that will link you to many threads on this topic.
LysesKids 02:14 PM 07-02-2019
Originally Posted by Jshalesha:
Hello,

I'm new to this site and I hope I'm posting this in the correct section. I'm planning to start an at home daycare, outside of my home but close by. I'll be renting or buying a home. I've gotten some advice from my aunt who ran an at home daycare for 20+ years but times have changed. I'd love to get advice, Things I should or shouldn't do. I'm nervous since I'll be leaving my full time job at a daycare, but I'm ready. I would also like to know how you'll started out, how many kids you started with. What were the first steps you took to opening the daycare. I really just want as much information from people that have experienced opening a child care. I live in Raleigh North Carolina.
Most states require you live in the home you run out of, otherwise it's considered a center based daycare... big difference in regulations; as BC stated read up on the laws for your state.... laws can vary in state too depending on the city/county
Mom2Two 12:37 PM 07-03-2019
Can you afford the other rent if your plan doesn't work out? Could you not do it in your own home?

My advice for any new business would be to start with as little financial commitment as possible. If you have free time on weekends, maybe start with doing some Saturday care and then start modifying your home.

But first I would do a little market research. Are all other centers and home daycares near you running full?

For one thing if they are, they would probably be willing to send you referrals, although they would probably be the kids they don't want.
BrynleeJean 11:00 AM 07-22-2019
WELCOME

i agree with the above post in that clientele may be slight to none for a while after opening so all expenses should be though to work into your livelihood. Its by no means stable unless someone is constantly full which is only the case a percentage of the time.
I have no experience in opening a home outside of my own, I've opened two in my own home though. I think its a great idea in that you get to leave work but still can run it exactly how you'd like
I think the things to think about would be the financial aspect of it.
you can always PM me if you'd like to chat! I'm in TX so i don't know the rules where you are but here if you need an ear
Tags:licensing regulations, licensing visit, north carolina, opening a center, opening a child care, opening a daycare, opening new daycare, supplies
Reply Up