Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Grr...Parents
Core12 05:10 AM 06-06-2019
I had a parent not bring pull-ups for her 22 month old, said I didn’t text for them...only wipes. Which I’m sure I did. Anyway, I asked her to plz bring them tomorrow. She agreed. It’s not like this parent to forget anything. So, I began thinking that she thinks I should use less or no pull-ups if I’m asking her son to go potty every hour.
Months ago I sent a Very detailed letter to everyone outlining our potty training policy. This parent didn’t say anything about it. The policy indicated that a child will come in pull-ups until they can say regularly “I have to go potty”. I already change everyone at 1030, 1230, and 330.
I explained that part of potty training is learning to hold it bc I don’t have time to take a kid on call or every hour to the potty. I watch 10 kids with my mom under 3 yrs old.
Yesterday, out of nervousness and trying to understand the reasoning the parent didn’t bring the diapers when asked...I said “I’m trying to use less pull-ups but this kid had already went before 930, then we played in the sprinkler and then he soaked one through his pants at nap time.
The parent said, “ you have to make a game out of it...a contest and ask every hour”. Also, dcb didn’t need a pull-up for 2 weeks and the night on vacation. (He was only gone on vacation for 5 days not 2 weeks)
Um, I need advice on what to say.
Cat Herder 05:20 AM 06-06-2019
Originally Posted by Core12:

• I had a parent not bring pull-ups for her 22 month old, said I didn’t text for them.
  • I asked her to plz bring them tomorrow. She agreed.
  • It’s not like this parent to forget anything.
  • This parent didn’t say anything about it.

I'd say nothing. You may be overthinking this one.
rosieteddy 06:17 AM 06-06-2019
I would hand them another copy of your potty plan.I would ask for enough pullups for two weeks.Then every week take stock and ask for what you need.If pushed I always told parents my business my rules.Kids are different at home.
Core12 06:52 AM 06-06-2019
She brought 2 diapers today!
WBee 07:43 AM 06-06-2019
I had a parent not bring pull-ups for her 22 month old, said I didn’t text for them...only wipes. Which I’m sure I did. Anyway, I asked her to plz bring them tomorrow. She agreed. It’s not like this parent to forget anything. So, I began thinking that she thinks I should use less or no pull-ups if I’m asking her son to go potty every hour.
Months ago I sent a Very detailed letter to everyone outlining our potty training policy. This parent didn’t say anything about it. The policy indicated that a child will come in pull-ups until they can say regularly “I have to go potty”. I already change everyone at 1030, 1230, and 330.
I explained that part of potty training is learning to hold it bc I don’t have time to take a kid on call or every hour to the potty. I watch 10 kids with my mom under 3 yrs old.
Yesterday, out of nervousness and trying to understand the reasoning the parent didn’t bring the diapers when asked...I said “I’m trying to use less pull-ups but this kid had already went before 930, then we played in the sprinkler and then he soaked one through his pants at nap time.
The parent said, “ you have to make a game out of it...a contest and ask every hour”. Also, dcb didn’t need a pull-up for 2 weeks and the night on vacation. (He was only gone on vacation for 5 days not 2 weeks)
I would let the parent(s) know that it is not possible to ask the child to go every hour as your schedule is very busy and the child needs to learn to ask as part of his/her training per your policy. Also, he/she needs pullups at your daycare, even during nap, due to health reasons. You cannot have a child urinating on your floor/cots, etc. and have 10 children walking through it upon waking. "Sometimes children tend to be very busy here and it's not the same as training at home Mom." ;-) Also, "I can supply diapers/pullups but I have to charge you $....per. Good luck!
Josiegirl 10:11 AM 06-06-2019
Uh just no. I'd request a good supply, things happen. And if I was expected to make 2 diapers last a whole day, that poor kid would either go home soaked/dirty or I'd be using spare diapers I had at a premium cost to the parents. There are lots of ways to save money and sparing diapers is NOT one of them. Tell them to cut their cable bill instead.

And another thought, even if you could bring snowflake to the bathroom every single hour, how many kids have you known to sit there and try for 10 minutes, only to walk into the other room and poop??
Cat Herder 10:49 AM 06-06-2019
2?

That is ridiculous.

Ok, so passive aggressive? Sorry you are having to deal with that. Any interviews set up?
Unregistered 10:54 AM 06-06-2019
Call for pick up when a third is needed.
ColorfulSunburst 11:04 AM 06-06-2019
so, when the second diaper gets wet you can call his parents and ask to pick-up the kid or send home a lot of his wet clothes when they come to pick-up.

I know I can forget to inform parents that their kid needs more diapers. Because of that, I send "an SMS" on the last diaper a kid has on. I just write on it by a permanent marker: "Mom, I need more diapers." It works pretty well and parents always smile and say to me: OK, we got your SMS.
Hunni Bee 11:36 AM 06-06-2019
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I agree. She is trying to force you to potty train the child on her timetable.
springv 03:36 PM 06-06-2019
At our center we take our children every 30 minutes-1 hour during the day and before and after nap. Two of our teachers have had parents bring enough supplies for the day when they were potty training and their kids were not ready. Or bring supplies and no extra clothing
Josiegirl 03:49 PM 06-06-2019
Yes definitely. You can play the game too.

Originally Posted by springvalley112:
At our center we take our children every 30 minutes-1 hour during the day and before and after nap. Two of our teachers have had parents bring enough supplies for the day when they were potty training and their kids were not ready. Or bring supplies and no extra clothing
How do you get anything else done during the day? Unless your ratio is 1-1 or maybe 2-1. Even then you're missing more outside time, rushing through lunch. Plus how do kids learn to read their body signals or hold it for a few minutes?
sahm1225 04:59 PM 06-06-2019
Originally Posted by springvalley112:
In my home daycare, That would mean being in the bathroom ALL day. Figure 10 kids x 3 minutes to get them in the bathroom, wash their hands, etc. -it would mean by the time I got to the last one, I’d be starting over.
Plus wouldn’t it be really NOT potty training since they wouldn’t even get the feeling of having to go pee since they go so much?
sahm1225 05:01 PM 06-06-2019
Time for a heart to heart with mom. And explain she either abides by your potty training policy, or this isn’t going to work.
knoxmomof2 06:21 AM 06-07-2019
If my DCPs send diapers after they've asked to start potty training and been informed that they need to send PullUps, I just "assume we're not potty training" and change them like a baby. Easier day for me.... You don't want to provide me with the supplies for potty training, we're not potty training today. Simple.
Snowmom 07:03 AM 06-07-2019
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst:

I know I can forget to inform parents that their kid needs more diapers. Because of that, I send "an SMS" on the last diaper a kid has on. I just write on it by a permanent marker: "Mom, I need more diapers." It works pretty well and parents always smile and say to me: OK, we got your SMS.
I do that too. A big bold "Last Diaper" on the front.
springv 10:49 AM 06-07-2019
@Josiegirl: I watch the children while the lead takes the children 2 at a time to the potty. We have a house that's been converted into a daycare and a gym and both of the buildings have bathrooms and the bathroom in the house is in the classroom
Pestle 05:09 AM 06-24-2019
Had a dropoff today with "They haven't had an accident in two days, so they're in underpants." The parent was horrified when I said, "Sure, we can try that, but if they have an accident here they'll need to wear pull-ups again until they've been accident-free here for a week." The parent feels that will set them back. Maybe it will, maybe it won't, but if they have an accident here, they aren't potty trained!

And the kid soiled themselves 15 minutes after dropoff. Undies are in a plastic bag and I'm hoping all adults involved can stay classy about this.
ColorfulSunburst 04:09 PM 06-24-2019
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
In my home daycare, That would mean being in the bathroom ALL day. Figure 10 kids x 3 minutes to get them in the bathroom, wash their hands, etc. -it would mean by the time I got to the last one, I’d be starting over.
Plus wouldn’t it be really NOT potty training since they wouldn’t even get the feeling of having to go pee since they go so much?
it will happen only if all of them are in the process of potty training. Usually, it is one-two-three of them at a time.
Right now I have four kids in the process of PT. Each of them has own potty and they use it in front of my bathroom. So, I can send them to the potties at the same time. Those kids are under 2yo.
the other eight are potty-trained and don't need any of my help. Two youngest of them are 2.10
amberrose3dg 11:30 AM 06-27-2019
Originally Posted by Pestle:
Had a dropoff today with "They haven't had an accident in two days, so they're in underpants." The parent was horrified when I said, "Sure, we can try that, but if they have an accident here they'll need to wear pull-ups again until they've been accident-free here for a week." The parent feels that will set them back. Maybe it will, maybe it won't, but if they have an accident here, they aren't potty trained!

And the kid soiled themselves 15 minutes after dropoff. Undies are in a plastic bag and I'm hoping all adults involved can stay classy about this.
Ugh tell the parent they can come clean up the mess and pay for your carpet cleaning an or rug.

trix23 02:17 PM 07-02-2019
I would state your potty training policy and that they need to follow it. Call for pickup after the diapers run out and let them know that you are calling emergency contacts if they don't arrive within 1 hour.
Mom2Two 12:39 PM 07-03-2019
OP, how do you not have a record of what you texted?
AmyKidsCo 01:43 PM 07-09-2019
I have a "disposable supply fee" in my policies. If a parent doesn't bring diapers or wipes I'll use some from my stash and charge per item. I don't recall the amount off the top of my head but it's big enough to be a deterrent.
Tags:overthinking, passive aggressive, potty training, projection, unreasonable parental expectations
Reply Up