Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Would You Do?
Valerie928 11:10 AM 07-27-2019
Me and my family have a much anticipated vacation coming up (August 3-10) And as I feared, I had to send dcg 18mo. home on Friday with a fever. Naturally her parents used teething. I kindly told them I exclude for symptoms. My fear is that they will bring her back Monday with some bug which will likely infect me, then my kids. Vacation ruined. I really want to tell them that she can't come back unless she is 100%. What would you guys do? Normally I am not neurotic but we have saved, planned and paid for this lovely vacation!
springv 11:53 AM 07-27-2019
We tell our parents that they CANNOT come back for 24/48 hours after symptoms appear
trix23 02:37 PM 07-27-2019
yep, it's 24-hours symptom-free. so if she's got a fever later than 8:00am Sunday morning, cannot come on Monday. can always say that if you have to send home for illness, that the child cannot come the following day. (incentivizes parents to keep their sickie kid home)
Unregistered 05:31 PM 07-27-2019
Temp her at the door on monday. Do a health check. If shes not 100% send her back home
Valerie928 07:21 PM 07-27-2019
OP here, I totally do implement the 24-48 hour rule for fevers. My issue is, what if dcg fever was the first symptom of a nasty cold virus? What if she shows up Monday sneezing, coughing ect.? Her fever is gone but she has a cold that my kids, me get before our vacation? Would it be crazy to ask that they don't bring her unless she is 100%?
Blackcat31 07:44 AM 07-28-2019
Originally Posted by Valerie928:
OP here, I totally do implement the 24-48 hour rule for fevers. My issue is, what if dcg fever was the first symptom of a nasty cold virus? What if she shows up Monday sneezing, coughing ect.? Her fever is gone but she has a cold that my kids, me get before our vacation? Would it be crazy to ask that they don't bring her unless she is 100%?
I think this is one of those things that you can’t really control. She was most contagious prior to symptoms so you/your family have already been exposed.

If she has been symptom/fever free without meds 24 hours prior to attendance on Monday she should be able attend according to your rules. Excluding her would probably create tension within the relationship and IMHO would do nothing to prevent you/your family from getting sick.

I know it’s not what you want to hear but realistically it’s just part of being in this profession.

If a provider wants to guarantee their family is healthy for their vacation they need to close the week prior to vacation too so there isnt any exposure to illness before leaving. This would include staying out of any public places and having no contact with anyone.

If DCG meets your wellness rules you really shouldn’t exclude her.
MomBoss 07:59 AM 07-28-2019
I always have this fear so i wear a mask and gloves at all times if anyone has been sick close to my vacation, and i make sure to take my vitamins.
Blackcat31 06:48 AM 07-29-2019
Curious as to how this worked out this morning...
sunshst 07:59 AM 07-29-2019
You should add in your Handbook under sick policy the following: "We reserve the right to temporarily deny any child admittance to child care for reasons of obvious illness, or to request early departure should symptoms become apparent during the course of the day."

And this:"We do take into consideration your physician's recommendation. Neverthless, it is up to our discretion when your child can return to childcare setting".

But like they said, and i completely agree with above post, once symptoms have manifested it's already too late. Also, Parents might administer medication prior to drop off and symptoms will temporarily be gone, so it will be hard to tell unless a child is clearly still sick.

If it's a bug it will spread, and it's really up to your discretion how you want to handle this
Valerie928 08:07 AM 07-29-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Curious as to how this worked out this morning...
Dcg is fine! Perfect😊 I am happy. Like I said I am normally not so particular but this vacation is so exciting for us.
Blackcat31 08:16 AM 07-29-2019
Originally Posted by Valerie928:
Dcg is fine! Perfect😊 I am happy. Like I said I am normally not so particular but this vacation is so exciting for us.
Yay! Glad to hear it worked out okay!

I hope you and your family enjoy your much needed vacation!
Mom2Two 11:46 AM 07-29-2019
That is always so nerve-wracking right before vacation, especially one you've shelled out bucks for.

I'm glad it worked out!
Valerie928 01:37 PM 07-29-2019
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
That is always so nerve-wracking right before vacation, especially one you've shelled out bucks for.

I'm glad it worked out!
Exactly 👍
Tags:sick policy, vacation
Reply Up