Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Inappropriate Behavior
TwinMama 11:33 AM 08-21-2019
So I know that at age 5 or so kids are curious about their bodies, but I have a dcb that is CONSTANTLY touching himself. Like...I'm not kidding you...he was laying on the floor playing and talking with the baby a little while ago and he just kept doing it. We're having quiet time and he has a special blanket he puts over his lap so he can do it even when I tell him that it's not an appropriate time.

I keep saying that we don't do that in front of our friends or while we're at play time with friends. It's not polite behavior.

This same boy has a lot of impulse issues and I think he personally needs special help.

I can talk to his parents every day all day, but it doesn't help.

He also has issues with annoying other kids and being in their personal space and when they tell him to stop he doesn't. He thinks it's funny. So they walk away from him and don't want to play with him.

My daughter who is 5yo said today "Mom, he doesn't get it. He doesn't control his crazy behavior. I think we shouldn't invite him back to daycare."

The worst part is that I signed up to be a coach for soccer so they signed dcb up last week.

I was going to wait until January to tell Mom and Dad that his baby brother can stay, but they need to find care for him next Summer, but I'm thinking about terming him earlier.

Any ideas/suggestions?
Ariana 11:42 AM 08-21-2019
My own 6 yr old touches herself all the time too. Now that she is older she is doing it much less and knows to not do it in front of others but it is a comfort thing for her, not sexual. It feels good, so why not do it sort of thing I hate it but I am assuming she will grow out of it eventually.

Do you think this kid has ADHD? The other behaviours sound a lot like it.
TwinMama 11:54 AM 08-21-2019
Originally Posted by Ariana:
My own 6 yr old touches herself all the time too. Now that she is older she is doing it much less and knows to not do it in front of others but it is a comfort thing for her, not sexual. It feels good, so why not do it sort of thing I hate it but I am assuming she will grow out of it eventually.

Do you think this kid has ADHD? The other behaviours sound a lot like it.
I absolutely 100 percent think he does have ADHD. All Mom and Dad do is take away privileges. They're not doing anything for him. I feel like I don't know what to do for him. He's going to school next Monday full days. I feel bad for being super excited about that. He's my biggest stress every day, because his behavior just doesn't change.
Ariana 12:59 PM 08-21-2019
Originally Posted by TwinMama:
I absolutely 100 percent think he does have ADHD. All Mom and Dad do is take away privileges. They're not doing anything for him. I feel like I don't know what to do for him. He's going to school next Monday full days. I feel bad for being super excited about that. He's my biggest stress every day, because his behavior just doesn't change.
I had that ADHD kid as well. I knew because mom and dad both had it as well and I also felt relieved when he went to school. Cute kid but a lot of issues that were not dealt with at home. When he went to school there were a ton of issues as well. Only a matter of time before he gets a diagnosis which might help him.

I have read that removing privileges actually helps kids with ADHD.
rosieteddy 05:35 AM 08-22-2019
Sounds like school will be your relief.I would wait until later to tell parents you don't want summers with him.No need to give them to much time to pull both.What about school vacations and closings.You may want to have a policy in place.
Jo123ABC 06:46 PM 08-22-2019
Make him wash his hands every single time you catch him doing it. I do that with all of the kids if they pick their nose, touch their privates, stick hands in mouth. Wash. Wash. Wash. They get tired of having to go wash every single time and they try to avoid it after a while. I think it's gross to do those things and touch toys and stuff.
Snowmom 06:51 AM 08-23-2019
I agree with the "wash your hands" every single time he even reaches in (hopefully before ).

I would probably suggest a different environment to the parents too. Maybe if he's challenged more, it may curb the behavior.
CeriBear 05:51 AM 08-24-2019
I make them wash their hands too. If they pick their nose, touch their privates, or put their fingers in their mouths it’s straight to the sink to was with soap and water. I had a child last year who eventually quit picking his nose because he got tired of having to go wash his hands all the time.
LostMyMarbles 07:59 AM 08-26-2019
I think most of are a go wash your hand person. You can NOT touch your genitals in school, at work, or in public. You end up on a special list. I curb it the minute I see it. My house, my rules. we all gave our own opinion on this. So think it’s ok, so think it is not. Do what you are comfy with.
Mom2Two 12:38 PM 08-27-2019
I had one kid was was constantly sticking his hands down the front or the back of his pants. He had a few other issues.

I told mom and dad it was a hygiene issue (truth). Fortunately, mom and dad were 100% supportive, and wouldn't ya know it? The behavior was gone in days.

For here, I did the "go wash your hands" thing.
Tags:inappropriate behavior
Reply Up