Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Diarrhea/Sending Home ?
Valerie928 11:27 AM 08-15-2019
What is your policy/rule about diarrhea? I had dcg 2.5 this a.m. and she had diarrhea. Not overly runny but very close. Then 10 minutes later again but runny. I had her picked up. Sometimes I feel bad doing that but I will usually let one time diarrhea stay, another they go home. She was not acting sick either. Would you guys have sent home?
littlefriends 11:33 AM 08-15-2019
My illness policy states “child will be sent home after 2 consecutive loose stools while at daycare” and then later in the policy it says “if your child is sent home from daycare...will not be allowed back into care for 48 hours”.
littlefriends 11:58 AM 08-15-2019
Originally Posted by Valerie928:
What is your policy/rule about diarrhea? I had dcg 2.5 this a.m. and she had diarrhea. Not overly runny but very close. Then 10 minutes later again but runny. I had her picked up. Sometimes I feel bad doing that but I will usually let one time diarrhea stay, another they go home. She was not acting sick either. Would you guys have sent home?
Also good to note, there are a lot of things that can be spread with diarrhea so you do want to take it seriously to prevent the spread of infection. A kiddo doesn’t have to be acting sick to be infectious.
AmyKidsCo 01:30 PM 08-15-2019
ITA with 2 consecutive nasty diapers, or just 1 if it's not contained by a diaper or an older child doesn't make to the toilet.
springv 01:44 PM 08-15-2019
We send home after 3 but in my personal opinion we should send home after one because of the sanitizing and risk to the other children. Last week, there was a child that was out because they threw up but the sent the sister to school because she was fine but later on in the day she had diarrhea so we sent her home and they took them both to the doctor and the doctor said that it was too much fruit and juice but they don't drink that much juice at the daycare or eat that much fruit. Yesterday, the older sister had diarrhea and I told the teacher in the other classroom that we need to revisit our illness policy and make it to state that after one diarrhea that they are sent home until symptoms are gone
Ariana 01:47 PM 08-15-2019
I send home if there are two in succession during a daycare day but I use my judgement. Sometimes you can just tell that it is not food related. They must be symptom free for 24 hours.
Valerie928 02:17 PM 08-15-2019
Originally Posted by littlefriends:
Also good to note, there are a lot of things that can be spread with diarrhea so you do want to take it seriously to prevent the spread of infection. A kiddo doesn’t have to be acting sick to be infectious.
True! I did the right thing by sending home. Honestly, I am so tired of second guessing myself.
Valerie928 02:19 PM 08-15-2019
Originally Posted by littlefriends:
This is so true! Guess I just need to hear it sometimes. If parents didn't act like you were killing them by picking up, maybe this all would be easier. I need a bigger backbone
e.j. 03:20 PM 08-15-2019
If parents didn't act like you were killing them by picking up, maybe this all would be easier. I need a bigger backbone
The more my own kids got sick and the more I got sick myself, the stronger my backbone became. It still has some room to grow but I've at least got to the point where I no longer worry about the parent's reactions when they're called for pick up. I use my judgement when a child has had a bout of diarrhea. They get sent home on the first bout if there are any other signs of illness, I know something is going around that includes diarrhea as a symptom or if it can't be contained in a diaper. By the second bout, if there's no obvious reason... like the parent mentions the kid ate a ton of blueberries for breakfast, I send home. If it can't be contained, I send home regardless of the reason!)
Unregistered 05:47 PM 08-15-2019
1st loose- call to parent
2nd loose- BYe bye and dont come back for 24 hours (unless theres something going around then its 48)
HHangoug 06:32 PM 08-15-2019
Unless you know for a FACT the child has some issue that isnt contagious and theyre not in any pain, you send home and follow 24 hour rule. 2 or 3 wet stools regardless of symptoms. You dont know if they will gain symptoms. Dont let parents talk you out of it.
Cat Herder 05:17 AM 08-16-2019
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
1st loose- call to parent
2nd loose- BYe bye and dont come back for 24 hours (unless theres something going around then its 48)
I do this, too.

First one, warning text.
Second one, send home.

Then 48 hours without doctors note, 24 with. (if no other symptoms or continuation) Late arriving clients are notorious for hitting McD's enroute.
Blackcat31 08:55 AM 08-16-2019
Originally Posted by HHangoug:
Unless you know for a FACT the child has some issue that isnt contagious and theyre not in any pain, you send home and follow 24 hour rule. 2 or 3 wet stools regardless of symptoms. You dont know if they will gain symptoms. Dont let parents talk you out of it.
Exclusion for diarrhea is more about sanitary issues than it is about contagiousness.

So many things can be spread via feces that ANY diarrhea is grounds for exclusion in my policies.
Former Teacher 06:21 PM 08-28-2019
In my former center it was 3 diarrheas then they were sent home.

Once, I had a girl had a bad diarrhea, I changed her and all that, went to wash my hands (again) and I came and sat down to play and she had gone again. The director/owner happened to be walking by and she immediately called the parents.
springv 06:54 PM 08-28-2019
In our center its 3 and then send home until they are well (usually 24-48 hours after symptoms appear)
Snowmom 08:45 AM 08-29-2019
One and done.
springv 09:37 AM 08-29-2019
Wish ours was like that but unfortunately it's a state rule
Ms. Alison 10:02 AM 08-29-2019
This is so true! Guess I just need to hear it sometimes. If parents didn't act like you were killing them by picking up, maybe this all would be easier. I need a bigger backbone
YES! They act like you are lying about it or something. One time I had called a parent to pick up because her son had spiked a fever. When she picked him up, she stated that he looked fine to her. Then he puked in her car as soon as she strapped him in.

You made the right call! And if it's your policy, parents need to comply.
Leigh 05:37 PM 08-29-2019
Originally Posted by Ms. Alison:
YES! They act like you are lying about it or something. One time I had called a parent to pick up because her son had spiked a fever. When she picked him up, she stated that he looked fine to her. Then he puked in her car as soon as she strapped him in.

You made the right call! And if it's your policy, parents need to comply.
I had a mom who didn't believe me when I sent her son home for diarrhea. Next time, I saved every diaper and handed them to her when she picked him up, so that she could see them.
Mom2Two 05:58 PM 08-29-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Exclusion for diarrhea is more about sanitary issues than it is about contagiousness.

So many things can be spread via feces that ANY diarrhea is grounds for exclusion in my policies.
Same here.
Mom2Two 05:58 PM 08-29-2019
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I had a mom who didn't believe me when I sent her son home for diarrhea. Next time, I saved every diaper and handed them to her when she picked him up, so that she could see them.

Ms. Alison 01:17 PM 08-30-2019
Originally Posted by Leigh:
That is AWESOME!
Tags:diarrhea policy
Reply Up