Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>That Didn't Go as Planned
BumbleBee 09:15 PM 09-03-2019
Had a bellyache all night last night. Figured it was something I ate. 4am...south end starts. 5am...north end starts.
And why does my stomach hurt so bad???

10am, assistant arrives. I say see ya, and head to the walk in clinic for some anti nausea meds.

10:30...hmmm. the pain area is concerning. Let's grab some labs. Okie dokie.

11am...labs no bueno. Go to the ER down the hallway.

11:45am...ct scan on the belly

12:30pm... you're having surgery tonight. Well sh*t. Stupid appendix.

1pm...text parents: "long story short, I have appendicitis and need to have surgery tonight. Daycare is closed for the rest of the week."

4:30pm...surgery.

Oh, and it was the first day of school today. My life is nothing if not surprising!
Jo123ABC 09:17 PM 09-03-2019
I hope you feel better soon!! That sounds like a crazy/no good day if I've ever heard one!
Michael 10:56 PM 09-03-2019
Glad you took care of that! I had a neighbor that had it and thought she could handle her illness on her own. She ended up dying. Another neighbor had very bad pain and his wife made him go to the hospital. He was lucky, his appendix had already ruptured and but he survived.
Josiegirl 02:36 AM 09-04-2019
Yes, you were smart to go!! My BIL had a ruptured appendix a million years ago and became so sick he was in the hospital for a week.

Recover quickly and try to make the most of your down time!! Life is always full of those unexpected twists and turns.
DaveA 03:40 AM 09-04-2019
Yikes! Good thing you went. Get better asap
lovemykidstoo 04:54 AM 09-04-2019
Oh my gosh I'm so glad you went in. I hope you're feeling so much better!
Baby Beluga 08:38 AM 09-04-2019
Oh my goodness, glad you are being taken care of and I wish you a speedy recovery!
BumbleBee 09:04 AM 09-04-2019
Thanks ya'll!

25.5 hours later we're just waiting for the last bag of antibiotics to run, then get the final all clear from the surgeon & bust outta here.

Surgery went well. Pain is standard. Taking pain meds every 5-6 hrs. I've eaten, walked around, slept, sat up, laid down. All do-able. Not always comfortable but do-able if necessary.

So, onward and upward. To the next phase of recovery!
Cat Herder 10:17 AM 09-04-2019
Glad you got it checked out and handled. My DH had this not too long ago. It never happens at a convenient time.
e.j. 11:36 AM 09-04-2019
Good thing you went to the clinic! Hope you feel better soon.
Blackcat31 12:30 PM 09-04-2019
Oh my!
How scary!
I am glad to hear you are doing well now!
knoxmomof2 12:59 PM 09-04-2019
Glad you caught things in time! Hoping for a speedy recovery!!
BumbleBee 01:27 PM 09-04-2019
Home! Sore, as expected. Not horribly so, just enough to move and go "oh yeah. Ouch"

Ice packs and pain killers are my best friends right now.
BumbleBee 04:55 AM 09-05-2019
Now my dilemma is whether to close next week or not.

My assistant has prior commitments until 9am. Her start time has always been 9:30-10am.

I'm on lift restrictions. No more than 20lbs max. Every kid here weighs at least 20lbs.

Given the # of kids here, we have to have 2 people. Then there's the issue of school pick up.

All signs point to closing next week but gah, I really hate to do that.
Blackcat31 07:19 AM 09-05-2019
Originally Posted by BumbleBee:
Now my dilemma is whether to close next week or not.

My assistant has prior commitments until 9am. Her start time has always been 9:30-10am.

I'm on lift restrictions. No more than 20lbs max. Every kid here weighs at least 20lbs.

Given the # of kids here, we have to have 2 people. Then there's the issue of school pick up.

All signs point to closing next week but gah, I really hate to do that.
Can you do a limited opening? Like no school pick ups and no kids that need to be held....

That way those that don't fall into those categories still have care options? If you aren't able to do that I would just close then and not stress about it.

Providers need to make their own physical and mental health a priority and never feel bad about it.

Hoping you feel better soon!
BumbleBee 08:06 AM 09-05-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Can you do a limited opening? Like no school pick ups and no kids that need to be held....

That way those that don't fall into those categories still have care options? If you aren't able to do that I would just close then and not stress about it.

Providers need to make their own physical and mental health a priority and never feel bad about it.

Hoping you feel better soon!
My assistant volunteered to work 6 hrs a day solo. So daycare will be open 10am-4pm M-F next week. No school pick ups. Without the after schoolers, #'s should be fine.
Tags:appendicitis
Reply Up