Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Child Not Sleeping
TSDaycare 07:30 AM 02-22-2010
I have a child who is 10 months old, she only comes to me part-time, and believe me- that is enough!! If her parents ever asked for full-time, I would never do it, as I am considering getting rid of her now. She is one of those only child, parents hold as much as she wants them to, rock her to sleep, and literally hold her at naptime. So when she comes her, she wants to be held to go to sleep and the second I lay her down, she screams. I don't mean just a little cry, I mean screams her head off, the loudest cry I have ever heard from a child that age. And this goes on for as long as I let it, even up to and hour and probably longer if I let her. Now I am not a softy, I will let them cry themselves to sleep, I had my son putting himself to sleep at 8weeks. I just can't figure out what to do with her, it's pretty ridiculous, not to mention she is waking the other kids up in different rooms. Any Suggestions??
tymaboy 08:13 AM 02-22-2010
Have you tried a swaddle blanket? At 10 months you would probably need to stretch it to get it to fit around the baby. I had a baby that was like that (parent held her when she slept) I refuse to but found that she loved being in the swaddle blanket & would fall asleep withing 5-15 minutes of being in it. If you can not get a swaddle blanket to work then try taking a larger kids blanket & wrapping her tightly in it. You will need to get it tight enough to were she can not move & wiggle herself out of it. My DCG now will wrap herself up in the blanket when its time for a nap. She will be 1 in a month.
MrsCoffee 05:34 AM 02-23-2010
I have a child that was like this exactly to the "T" just a bit older (15 months) I worked with him and his parents on settling him into a routine. I got to the point where I literally told them "with love" and not out of frustration (which believe me I was extremely overwhelmed as I work an evening job after watching him ALL DAY) that it would not hurt him to cry and that if he is dry fed and not sick in any way he will have to take his nap, that they needed to do the same at home so that his life was consistent and that if they didn't start this now while he was young he would not do well once sent to full time preschool or kinder-care because they would send him home!

Fortunately for me they said that they agreed, and we have worked together ever since. I can tell you he is one of the sweetest children I have ever cared for! He takes great naps and I do not hold him all the time. It took about 3 months to get him into a health sleep pattern and also for him to get used to not being held.
Tags:crying, not sleeping
Reply Up