Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Newsletters: who has them?
jenny31052 01:54 PM 01-07-2012
So, with the new year, I thought about making a newsletter every month, but I'm getting overwhelmed with what to put in there, and if it is worth the time?

How many of you have one? And what do you put in there? Do you print them out, or send them via email?

Thanks!!
momma2girls 02:12 PM 01-07-2012
I have been doing them for about 2 yrs. now. I add birthdays for the month(if there are any), pajama days, bring your own stuffed animal, movie, etc.
anything pertinent for all families, Paid Holidays, paid vacation days, days off, if I have any openings, what we are working on, bring something that starts with the letter we are working on, etc. etc...
I also have a monthly activity calendar as well.
MissAnn 02:48 PM 01-07-2012
Originally Posted by jenny31052:
So, with the new year, I thought about making a newsletter every month, but I'm getting overwhelmed with what to put in there, and if it is worth the time?

How many of you have one? And what do you put in there? Do you print them out, or send them via email?

Thanks!!
Besides the usual( birthdays, events, days closed, themes, pictures of kids in action....etc) .....I also interview a kid every month. I make up questions and ask the kid and record the answers just as they say them. It can get pretty funny and the parents love it. It ends up taking up 1/2 a page. You will be surprised at how many times you need to reduce your font in order to get more "stuff" in.
Mary Poppins 06:36 PM 01-07-2012
I do and I send them by email and then post them on the Parent's Only section of my website.

I include lots of stuff. Changes in policy, reminders, upcoming field trips, additions to the dc, etc). I seem to always have lots to share. I also always throw in compliments to my families and tell them how much I value them and love their children.

So far all of my families seem to read them and comment on them.
Lucy 06:46 PM 01-07-2012
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
I also interview a kid every month. I make up questions and ask the kid and record the answers just as they say them. It can get pretty funny and the parents love it.
I would LOVE to read some of those!! Can you post some of the better ones? No names, of course.
PitterPatter 06:57 PM 01-07-2012
Originally Posted by jenny31052:

Thanks!!
I have them. I print them out. I do a recap of what we did last month and what we will be doing this month, curriculum, books etc. I put in a few pics of the kids involved in activities. Any b-days, welcome new clients. I also post any free/low cost family events going on in the area. If I have days sceduled off it goes in. This month I put in a small article about flu germs and asked for help with teaching the kids to be sanitary with hand washing routine. At the end I always enter a policy reminder. Usually something parents have been pushing limits with.

Just put in what YOU want the parents to know. Most of mine don't even read it tho. I mentioned I would give a free day of daycare next month if they signed up by the end of the week. Only 1 parent asked for it! That tells you who reads it! I also took the time to make a public thank you to my new client who was so thoughtful to give me a Christmas gift.
childcarebytori 10:34 AM 01-08-2012
I do monthly newsletters. My parents absolutely love them and immediately hang them up on the fridge so they can look out for our field trip dates (I require the children to wear jeans and tennis shoes so they go with our field trip uniform shirts).

You can check a few of them out on my website. Just go under Programs> What We Offer and you should see them at the beginning.

www.childcarebytori.com
busymommy0420 05:21 PM 01-08-2012
I do one each month and hand out a hard copy to each family. It takes me 30 minutes to make and I have a variety of topics I include.
WImom 11:05 AM 01-09-2012
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
Besides the usual( birthdays, events, days closed, themes, pictures of kids in action....etc) .....I also interview a kid every month. I make up questions and ask the kid and record the answers just as they say them. It can get pretty funny and the parents love it. It ends up taking up 1/2 a page. You will be surprised at how many times you need to reduce your font in order to get more "stuff" in.
I LOVE the interview idea. I think I may have to steal this idea.
DaisyMamma 11:58 AM 01-09-2012
I do a quarterly newsletter. Every month seems like too much for us. It is nice because you can touch upon important things like late pickups, etc. that parents are always trying to get away with. I also include a list of field trips, reminders to bring snow clothes (or swim clothes in the summer).
MissAnn 03:16 PM 01-09-2012
Originally Posted by Joyce:
I would LOVE to read some of those!! Can you post some of the better ones? No names, of course.
Here's my December Newsletter......I haven't done January yet because the girl I want to interview has been sick and she's so excited to do it....so I'm waiting for her.

http://www.tommielanepreschool.com/newsletter.html
Meeko 07:04 PM 01-09-2012
I post one on the front door and email. I found that paper copies just ended up as floor mats in their cars......
Tags:newsletters, parent info
Reply Up