Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Anyone Know If This True?
Meeko 10:01 AM 07-25-2011
Don't know if this is true or not...but God bless our Marines anyway!!

This is a little-known story from 09/11/2001 :
There was a day care center close to the Pentagon.

This daycare had many children, including infants who were in heavy cribs. The daycare staff, looking at all the children they needed to evacuate, were in a panic over what they could do. There were many children, mostly toddlers, as well as the infants that would need to be taken out with the cribs. There was no time to try to bundle them into carriers and strollers.

Just then a young Marine came running into the center and asked what they needed. After hearing what the center director was trying to do, he ran back out into the hallway and disappeared. The director thought, 'Well, we're on our own.' A few minutes later, that Marine returned with 40 other Marines in tow. Each of them grabbed a crib with a child, and the rest started gathering up toddlers. The director and her staff then helped them take all the children out of the center and down toward the park near the Potomac and away from the Pentagon.

Once they got about 3/4 of a mile outside the building, the Marines stopped in the park, and then did a fabulous thing - they formed a circle with the cribs, which were quite sturdy and heavy, like the covered wagons in the Old West. Inside this circle of cribs, they put the toddlers, to keep them from wandering off. Outside this circle were the 40 Marines, forming a perimeter around the children and waiting for instructions. There they remained until the parents could be notified and come get their children.
CheekyChick 10:05 AM 07-25-2011
Awww... That story gave me a lump in my throat. Thank God for our armed forces!!!
daysofelijah 10:24 AM 07-25-2011
http://www.snopes.com/rumors/glurge/daycare.asp
Meeko 01:10 PM 07-25-2011
Originally Posted by daysofelijah:
http://www.snopes.com/rumors/glurge/daycare.asp
Aahh...I did wonder.....Oh well...Still gotta love our troops!
Kaddidle Care 01:22 PM 07-25-2011
It does make a nice story and you could just picture it happening.
daycare 01:27 PM 07-25-2011
Awe I must be emotional. That brought tear to my eyes.
I love all of our troops!!
MamaBearCW 04:13 PM 07-25-2011
One thing that I remember from Military Childcare training is that they do transport in the cribs though. Not all babies get their own crib. You put as many babies that would fit comfortably and you transport straight out the door. I was told I had to have an evacuation crib. I had infant only, which allowed three infants. No preschoolers. So I am sure there were cribs, and there were other service members. There might not have been 20 Marines, but there were lots of heros that day.
Hunni Bee 04:21 PM 07-25-2011
Originally Posted by MamaBearCW:
One thing that I remember from Military Childcare training is that they do transport in the cribs though. Not all babies get their own crib. You put as many babies that would fit comfortably and you transport straight out the door. I was told I had to have an evacuation crib. I had infant only, which allowed three infants. No preschoolers. So I am sure there were cribs, and there were other service members. There might not have been 20 Marines, but there were lots of heros that day.
Yes, thats how we do fire drills. We put all the babies in the heaviest crib and push it out the door.
PitterPatter 04:25 PM 07-25-2011
Never heard that before but it's a wonderful story! Made me awwww and tears well up! And yes God bless all of our military regardless of the source!!
Unregistered 02:42 PM 11-04-2011
I work at the Pentagon and personally asked the Chaplain assigned to the Chapel Staff...I am pleased to say the story is true.

Don't rely on Snopes, they are a couple working "Snopes" out of their apartment and if the story does not have a liberal's view, Snopes denies it.
Lucy 09:37 PM 11-04-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I work at the Pentagon and personally asked the Chaplain assigned to the Chapel Staff...I am pleased to say the story is true.

Don't rely on Snopes, they are a couple working "Snopes" out of their apartment and if the story does not have a liberal's view, Snopes denies it.
Oh horse pucky.
Unregistered 02:11 PM 04-01-2018
Originally Posted by Lucy:
Oh horse pucky.
The guy works there and talked to someone who was there, but you choose to believe a hard left “fact check” site that is as he described it. They support every left claim and discredit most claims by the right. Smh
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 07:40 AM 04-02-2018
Wouldn't they have had an evacuation plan? That story makes it sound like they were way out ratios with no plan. I don't doubt that the soldierd helping part, but I find it hard to believe the poor teachers were absolutely helpless.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 07:44 AM 04-02-2018
http://https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB1001450271357610240
Blackcat31 08:34 AM 04-02-2018
Originally Posted by TheMisplacedMidwestMom:
Wouldn't they have had an evacuation plan? That story makes it sound like they were way out ratios with no plan. I don't doubt that the soldierd helping part, but I find it hard to believe the poor teachers were absolutely helpless.
Originally Posted by TheMisplacedMidwestMom:
http://https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB1001450271357610240
.... This is an old thread.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 09:03 AM 04-02-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
.... This is an old thread.
... Dang it! I usually check that!
Unregistered 10:41 PM 08-17-2019
There is a sweet story that keeps going around about Marines coming to the aid of the daycare at the pentagon. Circling the "wagons" of cribs as it were. It is not true. There were folks who did help them.. You can look it up on snopes or on truth or fiction.
Mom2Two 11:55 AM 08-19-2019
Well, another old thread resurrected.

But I'll add to it. I do have it on good authority (published in creditable magazines) that there were evacuations like this from NYC NICUs on 9/11. Disconnected from CPAPs etc, nurses were bagging O2 to babies as they evacuated down stairs.

I. e. Bagging = squeezy, bulb-pumping air by hand to the babies.

I'm a preemie mom, so me and other preemie moms followed stories like this.
Tags:2011, armed forces, article, military
Reply Up