None 2 4.35%
1 weeks 15 32.61%
2 weeks 20 43.48%
3 weeks 7 15.22%
More. 2 4.35%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Vacation
awestbrook713 05:59 PM 10-09-2011
Okay so I have been in business since August and have learned a lot which has made me come up with some new policies. I also am reworking my vacation and holidays policy. My husband gets 2 weeks a year and has to pick which 2 weeks he wants in january, I am planning on also taking these two weeks unpaid and the following holidays: New years day, Labor day, memorial day, 4th of july, christmas eve, christmas day, thanksgiving and the day after since we do a dinner at my husbands. Does this seem over kill. I hope not because its what I need and what I feel I am entitled to. Just trying to see what the norm is.
daycare 06:24 PM 10-09-2011
Hard to answer the way you have it listed.
I'm closed all major holidays paid.

I have written in my contacts I can take 2 weeks unpaid vacation, however the most days I have taken are 4 days off at separate times.

Maybe this is why I am getting burn out
Jenniferdawn 06:43 PM 10-09-2011
I take all those holidays off (paid) as well as two weeks half pay for vacation. Pretty standard around where I'm from.
cheerfuldom 06:55 PM 10-09-2011
I take more holidays than that and two weeks paid vacation and do not refund if the daycare is every closed for emergency or sickness on my part. Basically, I ALWAYS get paid. I did not do this when I first started though. I worked my way up to it within a few years.
Sugar Magnolia 08:05 PM 10-09-2011
"V" is for "Vacation", that's good enough for me....
awestbrook713 03:17 AM 10-10-2011
Thanks just wanted to check. I didn't think 2 weeks would be an issue especially since I let them know as soon as I do so that gives them months to get alternative care.
MommieNana4 05:45 AM 10-10-2011
I have all major holidays off. I take one week paid and one week unpaid leave.
mismatchedsocks 06:16 AM 10-10-2011
I take one week unpaid vacation. I also take these paid holidays... New years day, Labor day, memorial day, 4th of july, christmas eve, christmas day, thanksgiving and the day after Thanksgiving.
Zoe 06:36 AM 10-10-2011
2 weeks of vacation at half rate. One is always in the summer, the other is always the week between Christmas and New Year's. I take off Christmas Eve, Day, New Year's Eve, and Day, Good Friday, Thanksgiving (Thursday and Friday), and the Fourth of July. All holidays are paid.
awestbrook713 07:43 AM 10-10-2011
I wish I could ask for paid holidays and vacation but I have just started so maybe that will come with time.
2ndFamilyDC 08:07 AM 10-10-2011
I get 3 weeks paid vacation and all major holidays. Parents pay me when they go on vacation too. I implemented 2 weeks a year after I started doing daycare (22 years now) and after 15 years of doing daycare I gave myself another year.
WImom 12:07 PM 10-10-2011
I get all major holidays paid and the day after thanksgiving and christmas day (if christmas is Sunday or M-Th). I also take 14 days a year unpaid with atleast 2 weeks notice. We got back from 1 week in florida in September and I told them all in June.

I also take 2 unpaid 1/2 days during the year for my kids school concerts.
blessedmess8 01:24 PM 10-10-2011
Paid Holidays and 3 weeks of unpaind time off a year. It's more than most, I know, but I have my own 3 Kids and it is actually only 15 days a year. I don't think that is unreasonable, considering how many days most people get for sick/vacation every year. (Usually paid!) And I rarely take them all at oncem Usually 2-3 days at a time, max! It is so easy to get burned out in this profession! Some time off here and there is the only way I can swing it!
awestbrook713 03:12 PM 10-10-2011
I just took my first week of vacation the end of september and since I gave the parents close to 5 months notice they were ok. I know we will be taking vacation the end of august next year but not sure of the other week so I will wait until January and tell them all then. My husband will get 3 weeks at 8 years of service at his job so if I am still doing this we may up it again.
AnneCordelia 04:40 PM 10-10-2011
I take 15 vacation days, unpaid. I use a week in the early summer, a week in the fall, and the other 5 days are split up for doc appts, school trips for my kids, or to supplement my Christmas break.

I also take all statutory holidays PAID.
Tags:poll, vacation - length, vacation policy
Reply Up