Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>For the kids; computer our tablets?
Sugar Magnolia 11:03 AM 07-25-2012
I used to have a computer center, but the computer was ancient and gave out. The older kids (3-5's) really enjoyed it and it was educational and fun. When it gave out, I did not replace it and used the space to make a library, quiet zone, expanded baby doll area. I just had a dad who works in IT donate a computer, but it is also older, big, clunky and I don't want to sacrifice that space again. I could really use this computer upstairs in my office. My son comes to our center after school and during the summer. He is almost 9, and while he was raised here, he gets bored and sometimes "pissy" with the young ones. He likes retreating to the upstairs office to do homework. I think he should get the computer. BUT, I really want the preschoolers to have a computer center. My son brought his Kindle to school one day and was nice enough to share it with the older kids. They could all operate it! Why teach them how to use a mouse and keyboard when that will all be "old school" and likely disappear in 5 years? Touch screen, baby! There are hundreds of fun,.educational apps. They require no designated space. Kids could earn Kindle time as rewards, or lose Kindle time for misbehaving. So what do you all think? Save space and hassle and buy a few Kindles? Or put the dinosaur out for the kids to use?
DCMom 12:09 PM 07-25-2012
I have been having the same debate with myself. I had an older desktop for the kids to use, but it finally died last week (and they miss it). I hesitate to let them use my iPad, though I use it a lot as a group during circle time and they all love it and know how to use it.

I never thought of Kindles, that is a great idea. Much more affordable than the iPad or even a laptop. I like the idea of not needing a dedicated space for the computer center and being able to just put them away.

I vote KINDLE
Blackcat31 12:10 PM 07-25-2012
I vote for the tablet (any brand) as it IS the wave of the future.

My 11 year old nephew is now required to have an i-pad for school.

My youngest dcg (age 18 mos) comes in most mornings playing with her mom's i-phone. I thought she was tapping and pretending but her mom showed me and she is actually playing a sorting game. (*sigh)

I actually took short-hand in high school ....boy, times have changed.
Blackcat31 12:12 PM 07-25-2012
I deleted your double post Sugar and merged them
Crazy8 12:19 PM 07-25-2012
if I was going to do either it would be a tablet (I'm an ipad fan myself, LOL!). Personally though I think too many of my daycare kids are on them too often when they are NOT here so I wouldn't want to add to their screen time.
Reply Up